Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 159756 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
    • justinguitar.com
BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:38:35 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

AprilGirl12

Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »
I know I'm supposed to get one thing really good before I move on but it's in my nature to like a big challenge so I was wondering do I need 60 chord changes/min before playing one of the songs (let's say Three Little Birds in this case)? Or is it possible to start learning the song at the same time as speeding up chord changes after a certain point? (and if it is, what would that point be, 30? 40? 50?)

Thanks, everyone, for any help and thanks for the great lessons, Justin

flyhead

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:49 pm »
Go for the easy songs too, playing songs is why we practice, and making chord changes while keeping time is something that requires practice in itself. Just don't get lost in trying to do fun things at the expence of others, and keep on working to weed out mistakes and weaknesses in your technique. It's important to remain systematic and self-disciplined when there is no brimstone-breathing mentor from Mendes making demands on you.

solly

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:55 pm »
i did 13 on my first attempt. is this normal? am i doing something wrong (other than counting?). I counted every d chord, so it wasn't because of that.

could it be because i play piano, so i have more practice at quick finger movements?

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:08 am »
It's like this -- everyone wants to be precocious, do well early on, and all that.  But eventually we all catch up and then what does it matter how quickly you got started?   I think this about life too.  People who talk about how smart their kids are --one day all the kids will be grown and then it won't matter who talked or walked first.  You know?   

I think you can play a simple song without having sixty changes a minute.  Just play it SLOOOOOOWLY.    And have fun with that too. 
In the words of someone great,  Don't Hurry.  Be Happy....  was that how it goes.......? Well it should. :)

Pat

Realism is relative.

nightey

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:32 am »
First of all, hello everybody and sorry in advance for my english.

It's seems impossible to reach the target of 60 changes in one minute, I've worked on it for 1 month (A, D, E, Am, Dm, Em, G, C, D7, C7, B7) and If I can say that my minutes changes increase in time, I'm far to achieve this step... frustrating

Someone can confirm with me that 60 is reachable for a beginner ?

mattywarr

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:41 pm »
Yes Its possible, I went through the beginners course recently and can confirm it is possible!

How are you counting them?

If your one minute change was A to E then for 60 changes per minute I would count

A to E = 1
E to A = 2
A to E = 3
E to A = 4

Thats when you could to 60 - If you were counting A to E to A as 1, then 30 in a minute is the magic number you need.

I would say,psychologically, its a good idea to start on the changes you find easiest until you hit that magic number, then you'll feel a great sense of relief that it is indeed possible :)

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:33 pm »
Nightey hang in there dude - 1 month is not a very long time to acquire a new skill. We would all like to become superstars overnight, but the reality is every new skill on the guitar takes a lot of practice.

True some people pick it up faster than others - that happens in any pursuit in life.

Playing guitar is what you want to do, it is what you choose to do, you have a passion for it - why let something you love be a source of frustration - see it as a challenge, celebrate every stp closer to your goal and be proud that when you do achieve it (and you will) that you persisted where countless others gave up.

You can and will do it.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

FwTx

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:15:13 am »
i am having loads of trouble getting above 25 or so changes....  i started guitar 9-10 days ago; my fingers tips are sore and i find i still have to watch both my left and right hands most of the time.  i know much more practice is needed

a particular issue i am having on the D chord is, i have to put finger #3 down before 1 or 2.  finger 3 is not stretchy; i stare at it trying to will it over but no luck

any advice or encouragement?  i tend to only practice 10-15 minutes at a burst due to sore finger tips.  i then try and practice 2-3 times in an evening after work

thx

ShigenoriM

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:29 pm »
Lesson Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php

Questions...

I am working on D, A, and E. Been on one week. It does not seems to improve but keeps on making mistakes on forming each chords. if I made the D right, I make mistake on A and so on. Also, my right hand strumming get messed up since E is the only chord that you strum everything. I can not really see the strings as I have my guitar positioned just as Justine has suggested to hold (90 degree flat angle sort of). any suggestion?

Also when do I move on to the next lesson?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:08:52 pm »
ShigenoriM, don't be too stressed by the strings you strum......

Obviously for control it is best that you only strum 5 strings for A and 4 strings for D but musically it isn't a very big sin if you strum more

A Major chord is made up of the notes A, C#, & E - so if you strum all 6 strings you just get another E - only difference is you get an E as the bass note not an A, but it is still an A chord (they call these inversions).

D Major chord is made up of the notes D, F#, & A - so if you hit 5 strings you still get a D chord as above except you get another A note and it is the bass. If you hit all 6 strings - E is part of the D scale so you end up with a kind of inverted Dmaj9 (minus the 7th - C#) so whilst it is wrong it won't sound awful!

So - go for accuracy but don't stress it too much if you stuff up!

One week is a very short time for learning anything new on the guitar - all new techniques you learn on your journey will take weeks/months to master - get used to it!

As for when to move on - up to you, but not before when you can at least remember all of a lesson (even if you have not yet mastered all of the content) is probably about the right time.

Enjoy the ride Dude :)

skip

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 04:39:31 am »
one quick question... at what point am I not looking at my fingers to find the chords?... I can do a few but not many

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 06:02:18 am »
It will come when it will come - try playing in front of a mirror as an interim step.

FwTx

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »
i started the guitar one month ago and have struggled getting my chord changes faster.  Here is something i found useful.  Since i had only gotten up to around 25 changes, i set my metronome to 20 and didn't try to change as fast as i could, but rather only change at each count.  once i had that sounding good at 20, i went to 30 and so on

Hopefully this will be useful to some

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »
When I change chords I find it easier in most cases to put down my fingers one at a time (the one exception is E-AM where all my finders move together). Is this a bad practice?

Try as I might I am unable to move all three fingers  to corresponding strings simultaneously.

Thanks
Perfopt

Get The Forum As A Mobile App