Author Topic: BC-114 • Anchor Fingers for A, D and E  (Read 45308 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
Re: BC-114 • Anchor Fingers for A, D and E
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2018, 05:06:05 pm »
Greg you are teaching your fingers a skill they have never needed before.
The first chords take the longest to set in muscle memory. As the fingers
learn more chords it takes less time for the brain and fingers to cooperate.
In time you'll most chords chords without thinkg about them.

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2018, 06:18:42 pm »
So I feel like I got the anchoring down pretty well, I still have an issue with the D. My ring finger not exactly flexible yet to just put it down on the string without struggling to place my other fingers.

Should I just move on from this point and the D chord will happen eventually, or should I just keep practicing the chord before I move onto the one minute lesson?

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2018, 07:51:29 pm »
Stitch, I know I'm learning something new and trying to get my 50 y.o. fingers to do something new.  I'm not complaining about it, just stating fact.  I'm sticking to it and each day it gets a little easier to make the right shapes.

MixedColors, Move on to the A chord.  It's no fun being stuck with a single chord.  You can't really play along with just the D.  As I mentioned above, it gets easier every day.  The 1 minute chord changes will really help get you fretting that D up better as you go.
Guitars: Yamaha FG710S
              Epiphone Les Paul 100

Offline tarunnurat

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 04:54:00 pm »
How much do you move your fretting arm when changing from D to E/A? I find that I have to tilt it a bit to the left (push my elbow out) for D, and then bring my elbow back in when changing to E or A. When I do this I get the chords sounding great, but my left arm gets tired and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong moving it around so much.

Offline Chuim

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2019, 01:06:33 am »
Should I move the thumb behind the neck while changing between D and E or A and E? Sometimes I feel the need to move the thumb together with my first finger, sometimes I don't.

Offline Kmcc

• Good Vibes 0
  • Child of the '60s
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »
I hadn't thought about arm movement until I read your question.  My arm tends to stay in the same position when changing between these chords.  That said, my wrist will flex more or less depending which chord I'm playing.

I'm not saying that I’m doing it the best way, just reporting what seems to work for me.

How much do you move your fretting arm when changing from D to E/A? I find that I have to tilt it a bit to the left (push my elbow out) for D, and then bring my elbow back in when changing to E or A. When I do this I get the chords sounding great, but my left arm gets tired and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong moving it around so much.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App