Author Topic: BC-112 • The A Chord  (Read 105781 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
Re: BC-112 • The A Chord
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2020, 11:13:18 am »
Hi all, I see a lot of posts about differing fingering for the A chord, but ive never seen this one mentioned 2,3,1 (like Justin's A-minor, but with 1 on second fret).

It gives me the best sounding chord (no buzzing or muting) but it seems way out there.

Is it ok to continue with this? I know i'll lose the anchor finger for D and E, but if i use 2,1,3 it just doesnt sound right....
Each to his own. I’ve just tried this and find it impossible! If I were you I’d stick with Justin’s method as the anchor finger thing is really helpful. As Greg said earlier, if you can slide your index finger under the others it works best.
Have you tried using fingers 1,2,3? It’s a bit of a squeeze but that’s a well known alternative. There’s also the mini barre one that you’ll find later in the lessons.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2020, 12:45:58 pm »
Each to his own. I’ve just tried this and find it impossible! If I were you I’d stick with Justin’s method as the anchor finger thing is really helpful. As Greg said earlier, if you can slide your index finger under the others it works best.
Have you tried using fingers 1,2,3? It’s a bit of a squeeze but that’s a well known alternative. There’s also the mini barre one that you’ll find later in the lessons.

I just tried it, and I got cramp in my fingers!

Mini barre's easier.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2020, 12:56:40 pm »
Hi all, I see a lot of posts about differing fingering for the A chord, but ive never seen this one mentioned 2,3,1 (like Justin's A-minor, but with 1 on second fret).

It gives me the best sounding chord (no buzzing or muting) but it seems way out there.

Is it ok to continue with this? I know i'll lose the anchor finger for D and E, but if i use 2,1,3 it just doesnt sound right....
I've used that fingering as a 'lazy cheat' when moving from Am to A. Just slide the first finger across. I wouldn't fancy trying to find it with an 'air change' though.

Offline Peter1972

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2020, 01:46:50 pm »
Hello. I am having trouble squeezing in my first finger between the second and third fingers.

But, I can play the chord using either
1,2,3 fingers or
2,3,4 fingers (This fingering is from a friend's book)

I am confused how should I play it? Please help.

Offline KeepingAwake

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2020, 02:08:15 pm »
Hello. I am having trouble squeezing in my first finger between the second and third fingers.

But, I can play the chord using either
1,2,3 fingers or
2,3,4 fingers (This fingering is from a friend's book)

I am confused how should I play it? Please help.

Justin recommends that you play it 2, 1, 3 because that gives you an "anchor finger" that will help you to change between the first few chords he teaches you more quickly and easily.  Your index index finger (1) is going to stay on the G string, though it will move within a fret or slide between them when changing between the A, D and E chords.   

You may be having trouble playing it this way because your index (1) finger is too far back in the fret and your fingers are so soft that you're having to apply a great deal of pressure to get a clean note.  See if you can slide that finger down a little closer to the fret and check your hand position to see if you can get your fingertip a little closer to perpendicular to the fretboard.

Offline woodsy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2020, 03:31:50 pm »
I've settled on using the 2 3 4 arrangement on the A chord for now .
Can't seem to squeeze my fat fingertips into the 2 1 3 arrangement without some muting. Whatever works I guess.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2020, 03:45:55 pm »
@woodsy.

Guitar orthodoxy for years was 3 fingers in a line.
Justin chose other for reasons already stated. But he also states later on that you may wish to choose different fingerings for different reasons.

It can come down to which chord you are changing from and / or changing to.
It can depend on whether you are going to alter the basic A chord and turn it into an Asus2 or Asus4 or A7.
You will also learn mini-barre chord A which just uses the flattened index finger.
I vary between 2, 1, 3 and 1, 2, 3 and 2, 3, 4 and mini-barre loads depending on my needs and the context of the chord progression.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2020, 03:51:13 pm »
Whatever works I guess ? Nooooooo

Folks if you're learning the A chord you are just starting out, so please please please don't go looking for shortcuts and an easier route to the one Justin prescribes. He has been teaching for decades and has refined many things to one make things easier and two to give you flexibility down the line.

Playing the A chord with 213 not only gives an anchor for changes to E and D but also keeps your pinkie free for playing suspended chords which are so very common in many many songs, those embellishments you hear over what sounds like the same chord.

Playing the A chord with 234 will stop you ever playing an Asus4 and playing 123 will make that Asus4 extremely awkward.

So take your time to learn what is being taught and work at it until you get it right. It takes time effort and concentration and some pain but getting it right at the start is worth it.

And peeps I am only saying this to help you, after spending 17 years looking for shortcuts and quick wins and getting nowhere fast and actually hampering my playing. Justin's methods work but you have to work at them for that to happen. Simples.

This is not a sprint, its a long old haul that never stops. Buckle down for some hard graft.

Cheers

Toby
 8)   
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline woodsy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2020, 04:28:37 pm »
@woodsy.

It can come down to which chord you are changing from and / or changing to.
It can depend on whether you are going to alter the basic A chord and turn it into an Asus2 or Asus4 or A7.
You will also learn mini-barre chord A which just uses the flattened index finger.
I vary between 2, 1, 3 and 1, 2, 3 and 2, 3, 4 and mini-barre loads depending on my needs and the context of the chord progression.

Good explanation for the various configurations on the A chord. There are limitations
to my method but in time and with practice I should be able to achieve the various
finger configurations. Just a newb still, but making steady progress and overall its getting easier to pick up new tricks.

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2020, 05:51:38 pm »
Good explanation for the various configurations on the A chord. There are limitations
to my method but in time and with practice I should be able to achieve the various
finger configurations. Just a newb still, but making steady progress and overall its getting easier to pick up new tricks.

I’m a relative newbie too and I’d recommend you follow what Toby said for the reasons he explains. At first the index finger is a squeeze and tends to sit too far away from the fret which doesn’t sound great, over time you learn to slide your index finger under your second finger and it becomes the norm.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App