Author Topic: BC-112 • The A Chord  (Read 83487 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Re: BC-112 • The A Chord
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2019, 10:37:46 pm »
Hi Drtbekr.
I recommend you buy Justin’s Beginner Songbook. Loads of A, E, D songs in there. His songbooks are great, lots of hints and tips in them, not just the lyrics and chords like most other sources.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X : Dunlop Cry Baby Classic.
Arrived here Feb 2018. BC completed and now on IM & fingerstyle modules. Played a Framus 5/50 Archtop as a teenager in the early 70’s.

Offline Liebie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2019, 07:54:29 pm »
After 2 months of practice I still battle with the A major cord. How can I solve this problem or must I just give it up as a bad job.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:31 pm »
Could you be more specific at what the problem is.
Hard to help if we don't know what it is.
Have you tried different fingering?

Offline GermanGuitarNoob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2019, 02:57:19 am »
Is there any harm in using the 2nd finger on the G-String, the 3rd on the D-String and the pinky on the B-String? It is basically the way Justin plays it but one finger "up".

I can play an A very good... but only with the thumb behind the fretboard. I am now trying to learn the chords with muting unnessecary strings. I am pretty good with all the chords who need muting now, the D, the C, the Am, the Dm... but the damned A is a problem.

I can do it but only if I turn my wrist in a very awkward position (otherwise I block the e-String) and after a few practice strumms it is beginning to get sore. Sometimes it even hurts a bit.

Last night I tried the position which I described at the start of the post. And it was like magic... the e-String ringed like a bell in my ears and I didnt have to turn the wrist. The E-String was muted with my thumb comfortably.
It even felt natural. I could change to a D or an E pretty quick after a few times I practiced the new position. You lose the "anchor finger" for the A-D-E changes of course but I can live with that. I felt more comfortably with lifting the fingers for this chord changes anyway... I don´t know why.

I know the answer to that question myself. For guitars it is: Whatever floats your boat and sounds good. But I used this fingering for an Am chord too and noticed while playing that you need the pinky for sus and add-chords sometimes. So I am a bit afraid of learning a mistake.

This A-Chord with a muted E-String is the only basic chord I have problems with. I can even play bar-chords very good.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2019, 07:16:58 am »
Is there any harm in using the 2nd finger on the G-String, the 3rd on the D-String and the pinky on the B-String? It is basically the way Justin plays it but one finger "up".

This is not a good way to learn the A chord at all as it makes it impossible to play extensions / embellishments. It will harm your long term progress and ability to play many songs and riffs.

Offline GermanGuitarNoob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2019, 04:21:54 am »
This is not a good way to learn the A chord at all as it makes it impossible to play extensions / embellishments. It will harm your long term progress and ability to play many songs and riffs.

Well. This is a bummer. My wrist absolutely doesn´t compute this while muting the thick E-String with the thumb. My thumb is very short and I have to fold my hand outwards to avoid blocking the high e-String. It is absolutely not fun and I have the feeling that it just won´t settle in. I am practicing this for over a month now. I can do it but it hurts after a few times. And I notice that the annoyance about it keeps me off the guitar...

Well then my thumb has to go back behind the fretboard and I have to play with more accuracy to avoid hitting the E-String.

Thanks for your warning.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:23:40 am by GermanGuitarNoob »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2019, 07:01:32 am »
Don't worry too much about wrapping your thumb around to mute the E string.

Several reasons.

If you accidentally hit it - no worries as the note E is an integral note of the 3 that make up an A major chord.
It forces you to properly focus on learning how to play and pick and strum with your right hand for accuracy - your right hand should not just swing about like a wide-arc pendulum with no sense of where it is or which string it is striking first.

Offline bev2112

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2019, 04:28:31 am »
So I learned the A chord as 2-3-4 before I found Justin's course.  I have better success that way than 2-1-3 but I totally understand and agree with Justin's reasoning of the anchor finger.  Since I began this course I have been struggling but determined to persevere. After tonight's flubbed chord changes I decided to try the "old way" a few times.  It was a lot easier to get a good sound the first time, but slower on the changes without the anchor finger.  Then I had a eureka moment of keeping the index "anchor" finger on the 3rd string in the first fret and using 2-3-4 to make A chord per usual.  I tried a few changes from D-E-A, etc. and it really helped a lot.  So my question: is there a downside to using this method that may hinder progress in some other way down the line?
YAMAHA APXT2EW 3/4 AC/EL GUITAR - TOBACCO SUNBURST
BC1 started 9/22/2019

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2019, 08:23:11 am »
I use 2, 3, 4 quite a lot and it makes for a simple change to the E chord as you describe because your index finger can stay in position behind the fretted notes when playing the A chord.
I also use 1, 2, 3.
And I also use 2, 1, 3.
And I also use mine-barre with index.
And it all depends on the song I'm olaying, the previous chord, thenext chord and whether I need to play any embellishments to the A chord (such as sus2 or sus4).

Long term you will want to learn more than one way of playing it.
In the very beginning, just to get you started, learn no more than one or two ways.
Keep your 2, 3, 4 and persevere with 2, 1, 3.

Offline bev2112

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »
Long term you will want to learn more than one way of playing it.
In the very beginning, just to get you started, learn no more than one or two ways.
Keep your 2, 3, 4 and persevere with 2, 1, 3.
Thank you so much for your feedback.  I think this will give a bit of a boost to my progress as well as my motivation  :)
YAMAHA APXT2EW 3/4 AC/EL GUITAR - TOBACCO SUNBURST
BC1 started 9/22/2019

Get The Forum As A Mobile App