Author Topic: BC-112 • The A Chord  (Read 72628 times)

Offline iluvyomumma

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-112 • The A Chord
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2018, 11:40:19 am »
Hey all, first post after a bit of lurking. Great advice from all, glad we're all enjoying it and cheers to Justin for the course!!!

I'm still on stage 2 and progressing relatively well but wanted to ask about 1 minute changes. Soecifically finger work between Dm and A chords. I find Justin's method for A quite tough from Dm and I know there are obviously different ways to play A. I'm curious to know if anymore experienced players still use Justin's method to play A from Dm or if there is a more effective way? I know this is subjective as it will depend on what is played next but as a general rule: am I right in saying a 1 finger bar is more effective?

Thanks all and good luck

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 379
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2018, 11:46:46 am »
Try your best to stick to Justin's fingering suggestions through the BC.
Eventually you will branch out.
I play A several ways ...

1, 2, 3
2, 3, 4
2, 1, 3
1, 1, 1, (barre)

Offline iluvyomumma

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2018, 12:21:13 pm »
Try your best to stick to Justin's fingering suggestions through the BC.
Eventually you will branch out.
I play A several ways ...

1, 2, 3
2, 3, 4
2, 1, 3
1, 1, 1, (barre)

Hey dude, thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate it, I thought this might be the answer haha! Given that later on I will try other methods, what would you say is a reasonable number of changes using Justin's method to get to on this change before moving on?

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2018, 03:08:12 pm »
I really think 60 changes should be your goal. If the Dm-A changes are all that's keeping you stuck in stage 2, then just move on to the next stage, but keep working on your Dm-A changes as you go, until you've got it down.

Offline davidison#02

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2018, 12:14:54 am »
Hi everyone, im a newbie to the guitar but ive always loved the sound of it.

also been a bit jealous of guitarist because  I was a drummer once upon a time. remember walking around with drum sticks tapping all over the place.

Anyway I will get back to now, it's my 2nd week and I'm finding it really hard to hold the A chord properly.

thank god for finding JustinGuitar website, he explain everything easy to follow.

I'm going to try and stick with it because my passion for the guitar is really important.

thank you everyone for listening and hope you all enjoying learning the guitar as much as I do.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:27 am »
Hang in there, the A is the first of the "easy" chords you will be challenged to learn. My problem was getting my fat fingers in that itty bitty fret and keeping 2 and 3 off the A and E strings. Just took time and practice. Check back in next week after practicing everyday.

Gordon

Offline Mikefarmer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2018, 04:44:22 am »
Hi everyone, first time posting.

The problem I’m having with the A chord is pain in my first finger due to the awkward angle of squeezing the finger up close behind the other 2 fingers which puts pressure on the side of the top joint. Even when not pressing too hard, it has caused pain in my first finger, sometimes while playing, and sometimes even when not playing it feels like I jammed my finger and hurts when I bend the top joint. Doesn’t hurt enough to go to the doctor but enough to be a concern to me. I even stopped playing for a few days but it just hurts again when I play the A chord again. I’ve tried varying my hand, palm and thumb position but it doesn’t seem to help. So I’m thinking I might go with the 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 fingering instead, even though I’d prefer to stick to Justin’s lessons as is, and it might will slow me down in chord changes. Maybe I could keep playing and the finger will get used to it eventually and the pain will disappear... but then again maybe it gets worse and causes a permanent problem? Anyone have any thoughts/advice or have a similar issue?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 147
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2018, 06:00:26 am »
Justin's way of fingering the two ways you posted and using your
index finger to barre the D G and B string are all exceptable ways to
play the A chord. Justin even teaches baring the A with the index finger
in a later lesson. I personally play the A chord with two fingers or barre with
the index.
Find a way that works for you without pain and carry on with the lesson using
that A chord. There is no law saying you have to play Justin's way.

Offline Mikefarmer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2018, 02:13:41 am »
Thanks, stitch101. I’m curious as to how you play the A chord with 2 fingers?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 147
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2018, 02:32:42 am »
I have average size fingers so it not a fat finger thing but I can cover two strings
with either my index or second finger. I'll cover the D and G string with my index or
the G and B with my ring finger and the left over string with my second finger.
I learned to play in the 70's before the internet told me I was doing it wrong.
So what ever works for you is the way to do it.
Just remember to have fun and don't get hung up on right and wrong.

Offline rodinia

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2018, 03:13:50 pm »
I'm in Stage 2 of beginner now but still struggle with the A chord. The problem seems to be that my guitar has a fairly thick neck (was a gift), I have fairly small hands and the skin on the hand along the pinky literally mutes out the lowest string. Furthermore, I don't manage to press down the string with the index finger properly. So I need to completely change my grip just for this one chord, which is fairly uncomfortable so I cannot play constantly like this. Any suggestions?

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »
These days I usually use the "barre" method with the index finger fretting all three strings.
On a good day I can avoid the high e string as well.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way - if it works for you it's right.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App