Author Topic: BC-112 • The A Chord  (Read 105800 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
BC-112 • The A Chord
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:26:14 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline dc_mikeb

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-112 • The A Chord
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 06:31:34 pm »
I am just starting the series.  I've seen other A chords guides say that the first string (high e) should not be played, for example on "guitar-skill-builder" site. (Beginning Guitar Chords Chart)

I'm just wondering why the difference? 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:05:03 pm »
Mike welcome to the forum.

Just looked at that site and it is what Justin calls the Mini Barre and it will crop up in stage 4

The 1st finger barres the strings you're currently playing and that mutes the 1st string so you just play the middle 4 strings. I would not call that a beginning Beginners Chord if you pardon the expression. Justin's 213 makes transition to other chords so much 'easier'. So  I'd leave it until Stage 4 :D

Stick with Justin's methods, its a great course and you won't go wrong sticking to the script.

Best of luck

8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »
Mike

Just went back to that site. Curiosity I suppose. There are some very strange fingerings for what are supposed to be Beginners Chords - compare the D and E to how your learning. Very different. Definitely stay clear of that chart and follow Justin
 8)

http://www.guitar-skill-builder.com/Beginner-guitar-chords.html
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
Definitely stay clear of that chart and follow Justin

Agreed. A couple of those fingerings may be useful in specific situations, but not good for a beginner who doesn't know how to play it the usual way.

My advice is to stick with Justin's method, at least until you have built enough of a foundation to know whether other online methods are good or bad. Although you will most likely find that Justin's lessons are far superior to pretty much everything else out there.

Marty Schwartz's lessons are also good. I haven't used them a whole lot, but I've watched a few on YouTube and I know Justin and Marty are friends so I feel pretty confident recommending him.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:41:58 pm »
Justin's fingerings aren't unique, there's at least 3 ways to make an A, but he's sequenced the chords lessons in order to make transitions to learning others, easy.

There are a number of ways to form many chords, but that will be for much later.

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:21:28 am »
They way Justin does the a chord it will get easy when your fingers get more blistered
That's what I think.

Offline Siggyguitar

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:44:09 am »
I find the A major cord difficult to begin with.  The way shown is with the 1st finger on the third string and use it as a anchor.  on the electric  i find it better ( I think! amp in shop for exchange) On the acoustic i finding it hard to keep the third finger on 2 nd string and having enough room to bring the 2 nd finger over to the 4 th string I have alot of finger soreness from having to press the whole thing down to avoid a buzz  let you know if it still a problem when i get my amp back

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 02:06:50 am »
An acoustic will generally be a bit harder to play, especially if the action (string height from fretboard) is high which is common on lower-end models. If the strings are very high it may be worth getting it professionally set-up.

Also, make sure you get your fingers as close to the fret as possible. Justin's suggested fingering helps, but it is still going to take a lot of practice before you get the hang of it. Hope this helps!

Offline aiki667

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »
You might check the action on tour accoustic. I am a beginner as well and had the same problem with a (very) low-ended guitar that couldn't even be set up... I ended up with a new guitar and it makes a world of difference in how much pressure i need to get clear notes.

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 07:08:07 pm »
Hello, new to the forum and I have a question if you don't mind. When I play an A chord I find my hand mutes the high E string, it is not my fingers but the palm of my hand. I have tried various positions but I have a bit of a dodgy hand due to a motorcycle accident and it is not as flexible as it once was, I just wondered if this was a common problem or just that I am useless!! Thanks Zed

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:36 pm »
Just practice slowly and you will nail it!

And even if won't be able to play with high E string - don't worry - there is a plenty of songs with A chord without high E string - i.e. Highway To Hell by ACDC

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:14 pm »
Not unusual. You don't need that top note most of the time. But as was said, practice slowly and it will come.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TimRyland

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:21:07 am »
Might seem an odd question, but why does the A chord have the high E in it, but not the low E.

Thanks,
Tim.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 03:47:52 pm »
To be an A chord the A note need to be the bass note, if you play the E as the bass note it becomes a
A/E or a E6sus4

Offline ahylton19

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 12:07:43 am »
Hello everyone, I just wanted to know if its time to move to stage 2 my chord changes are as follow D-A 68 D-E 58 A-E 66. My only problem im not really the singer so i had trouble with Love You Do singing wise i can play it fine without sing but I can play Three Little Birds fine and sing too maybe because im much more familiar with the songs lyrics. Suggestions on whether I should move one or not ?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 12:42:49 am »
Move to the next stage.  Sounds like you are competent at what you have so far.

You don't stop practicing everything from the previous stage just because you move on.  You will still be using the previous chords and technique.  And you can cintinue to practice on your rough spots.  You are just adding another layer.

Just because you can't play and sing at the same time is NOT a reason to stop progressing through the stages.  That is adds significant complexity.  If you can play the songs well without singing, go ahead and move on.  You can continue to work on combining playing and singing with any/all the songs whill you progesterone with your playing.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 12:43:26 am »
It's up to you mate! Od you feel that you're ready then move on! Those results are good enough for me to begin stage 2. I know that playing and singing together is much harder, but if you will practice enough, you will nail it. Enjoy your ride :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:22 pm »
ahylton19 move on when you feel ready - figures for 1MC are fine for BC1.

Don't worry about the signing. Some folk can sing and play others can't. I can't sing full stop and have nearly completed the BC with maybe attempting 1 or 2 sing alongs, which were mmm lets say pants!!

I'm here to play the guitar a the end of the day. :)

However, I will be attempting to try singing and playing during post BC consolidation. Who knows it may turn out ok. Never Say Never 8)

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 06:39:35 pm »
Hello everyone, I just wanted to know if its time to move to stage 2 my chord changes are as follow D-A 68 D-E 58 A-E 66. My only problem im not really the singer so i had trouble with Love You Do singing wise i can play it fine without sing but I can play Three Little Birds fine and sing too maybe because im much more familiar with the songs lyrics. Suggestions on whether I should move one or not ?

It sounds like you know the chords but, from my experience that means you don't know the song well enough to play and sing at the same time.  Keep practicing on the playing until it becomes second nature and the singing will come automatic, when you can play the song without even thinking much about it.

If you haven't done so, get a copy of the recording and just keep playing it over and over until you get it.  Because in a live setting if a singer does happen to stumble, you have to be able to compensate for it.  That doesn't make me right, it's just how I go about things.  But personally speaking if I don't like a song or don't know it, I skip it and find one similar. 

Personally I also think it is necessary to sing the songs, even if you don't have a stellar singing voice, it helps to learn the song better.  Many times if you watch a band the other members are singing along to the song even if you don't hear them singing.

Just my opinions of course.
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline tuwood

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 03:36:06 pm »
Justin, I just want to say thank you for describing an easier/alternate way to fret the A chord right away.  It sounds so silly, but I tried learning the guitar a few years ago and my fingers are just big enough where it was extremely difficult for me to fret a "proper" A Chord.  It became so frustrating that I just gave up guitar all together.  "If I can't do this simple chord, then why bother".
However, the way you describe shifting from E to A to D with the 1 finger staying on the G string is a life changer.  I can hit the A chord every time without any issues.

Offline Dream Weaver

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 07:01:12 am »
I have some difficulty playing this chord with the way Justin shows in his guide. My 2nd finger mutes the G string and I can't seem to find an arch that mitigates the problem. Instead, I put my 2nd finger on the D string, 3rd finger on the G string, and 4th finger on the B string. I like using this way to play because you can easily switch from an A major to an E major. All you have to do is put your 2nd and 3rd fingers one string up each and put your first finger on the G string, first fret. You can also easily change from an A major chord to an A Minor chord (although, as a total novice to guitar and music theory, I'm unsure as to whether a minor chord would ever be played after a major chord in a song.)

Is there anything wrong with the way I play the chord? Will it keep me from being able to change to different chords in the future? Do you have any tips that could help me not mute the G string on your recommended positioning? I know all about proper thumb positioning, not placing your palm on the neck, arching your fingers, etc. I just can't seem to play it without muting it.

EDIT: Well, now I feel just silly. Turns out my problem was my 1st finger wasn't IN the 2nd fret, but rather, was right on top of the first fretline. This is what was giving me that "muted" sound. Still, do I have to learn to play the chord this way if I can already play the chord a different way?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
Weaver,

You don't have to do anything.  But learning how to play chords with more than one grip is pretty common.  So   I'd say not to take it off the menu.  But as a beginner pick one and stick with it.  I would recommend the Justin A as he does, because it facilitates easier E, A, D changes; but a zillion people learned with the standard grip and play just fine.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 08:35:41 am »
I would second shadow the Justin way might feel a little awkward to start with but as you've discovered switching between it and E and D is so easy. Later in the course you'll learn at least one alternative grip.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 11:23:47 am »
Personally I never use the Justin way on A chord.
For me it is either 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 or 1st finger mini-barre.
But that said I played it this way for many years before I found Justin's lessons.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App