Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 136274 times)

Offline Dennis55

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2020, 05:24:55 pm »
It was January when I wrote my last post regarding this Chord. I can now say I seem to have got the grasp of it. However, I have been learning on an electric so when I decided to pick up the acoustic, I struggled.

I do find the acoustic more clumbersome and bulky. I bought a strap as I struggled with it on my lap. I did learn a few other chords on the electric but can't do them on acoustic. Has anyone else had problems with acoustic guitars and find electric more easy to learn on?
I felt so thrilled having learned a few chords, although I do find changing over a lot more harder than I first thought. It has taken four months to progress so far and I am not prepared to let it drop.
I practice almost each day but only for around half hour. Sometimes I spend around ten mins but, I do three or four sessions.
Dennis.

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #241 on: April 30, 2020, 07:45:31 pm »
Playing an electric is a lot easier than acoustic although it's just about practice. The electric generally has thinner strings and is probably a  little more forgiving if you don't get your finger placement quite right. The acoustic you probably find bulkier but stick with and it'll be lovely to play. I probably play more electric now than anything else but for a long time I only played acoustic and still love just picking it up and strumming a song AND I remember exactly how hard it was as I've only learnt like you through this course.

If you know what gauge strings you've got on the acoustic you might want to go slightly lighter if you can. I don't know what would be recommended now by people but guessing 11 or perhaps 10 and the thinnest end.

Make it a regular routine to practice on both and you'll soon get the hang of it. There are some songs that just sound so much better on an acoustic.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline Dennis55

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2020, 12:53:38 pm »
Good advice, thank you.

Dennis

Offline Wolfspaw

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2020, 08:43:18 pm »
I am able to get the D chord to ring out clearly however I discovered that if I lift my 3rd finger off of the B string I am actually muting the B string with my 1st finger.  Because the muting takes place behind the 3rd finger when playing the chord shape, the chord rings out correctly. How concerning is touching a neighboring string if it doesn't affect the chord being played?  Could this be trouble down the road?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:27 pm »
@ Wolfspaw
Hi and welcome.
You have identified a non-problem. Relax. Muting behind another fretted note is nothing to be alarmed about.

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2020, 08:53:42 pm »
It's not a massive concern Wolfspaw. Occasionally there will/could be chords where you don't want it but at this stage nothing to worry about.

You'll probably find that your fingers are just a little flat on the fret board and you just need to arch them a little more so that you aren't muting that B string. Practice it slowly the right way and your muscle memory will soon remember it.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline Wolfspaw

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2020, 10:25:21 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.  I'll keep plugging away.  Hopefully my fingers will toughen up and I will be able to spend a little more time practicing each day.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App