Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 118856 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2018, 10:19:39 am »
Chris, I agree with Toby ie D fingering looks standard. How are you going with One Minute Changes? If changes involving D are slow then concentrate OMC drills like C-D, G-D. Relax, persevere and changes will become more fluent then increase in speed over time. Speaking of time, as a matter of interest, how long since you started up?

Offline AChris30

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2018, 11:57:20 am »
Hi Toby and David,
so you don't think my finger 1 and 2 should be curved like in Justins videos and it is ok that they are straight? I'm on at least 30 on every one minute change and on over 40 on most of them. D is not so special on one minute changes but I have problems on songs where there is an upstrum on the last count and I have to change away from D to some other chord in time for the next downstrum on 1.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2018, 01:46:04 pm »
Hi Toby and David,
so you don't think my finger 1 and 2 should be curved like in Justins videos and it is ok that they are straight? I'm on at least 30 on every one minute change and on over 40 on most of them. D is not so special on one minute changes but I have problems on songs where there is an upstrum on the last count and I have to change away from D to some other chord in time for the next downstrum on 1.

Chris, if I use Justin's learning structure as a guide then stage 3 is when an upstrum is added and it is on beat 3.  A second pattern with upstrums is introduced in stage 4, which adds up strums on the & in beat 3 and 4.  So in theory by the time you start having to deal with an upstrum as you are changing chords you would have done a little more practice, more changes, some new chords.

The other thing is that in that lesson I am sure Justin points out that often the up strum on the & of beat 4 catches open strings as the change to the next chord is already in progress.  This may sound odd when playing at a low tempo but once the tempo picks up you won't notice it at all.

So I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.  All sounds quite reasonable.  While you are working on those new chords in stage 4 I suggest you continue to work on learning songs from stages 1-3, getting it smooth at low tempos and working up speed.  And as you do this you'll inevitably get faster, build those OMC counts up towards 60 when changing between chords from the first 3 stages.  And the feel for making changes with an upstrum on the & of beat 4 will come.  It's hard to explain ... keep plugging away and in due course what feels mechanical and stiff will suddenly start to sound fluent and relaxed.

Maybe also post some videos of you playing (can't recall seeing posts from you) ... you'll get feedback and encouragement that way.  Invaluable IMHO

Keep rocking and rolling ...

Offline AChris30

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2018, 11:07:56 am »
Chris, if I use Justin's learning structure as a guide then stage 3 is when an upstrum is added and it is on beat 3.  A second pattern with upstrums is introduced in stage 4, which adds up strums on the & in beat 3 and 4.  So in theory by the time you start having to deal with an upstrum as you are changing chords you would have done a little more practice, more changes, some new chords.

The other thing is that in that lesson I am sure Justin points out that often the up strum on the & of beat 4 catches open strings as the change to the next chord is already in progress.  This may sound odd when playing at a low tempo but once the tempo picks up you won't notice it at all.

I am in fact at the end of stage 4 now but my problem mostly happens when I have to change from D to another chord so I put it here because I wondered if my hand position on D is wrong. The open upstrum didn't go into my brain right now and as you wrote, it is odd when you practise it slowly (and you shouldn't do that I think). I'll try to train D to anything for a while and hope it gets better.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2018, 01:01:22 pm »
I am in fact at the end of stage 4 now but my problem mostly happens when I have to change from D to another chord so I put it here because I wondered if my hand position on D is wrong. The open upstrum didn't go into my brain right now and as you wrote, it is odd when you practise it slowly (and you shouldn't do that I think). I'll try to train D to anything for a while and hope it gets better.

I'm sure it will Chris.  Just keep working those OMCs with a D and it will get better.

Offline tdewald

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2019, 06:32:15 pm »
I'm having a really hard time with my fretting fingers touching the other strings.  I know this is common, but I seem to be having more trouble than most.  My brother-in-law is a long time guitar player, and when he handled my guitar he told me that he's not surprised because the neck is unusually narrow.

I got this guitar for free from a friend about 10 years ago.  It's a Fender Squire electric.  I have relatively large hands and fingers...  should I look into getting a new guitar, or would replacing the nut with a wider one be a realistic option?  It does look like the nut could be spaced a bit wider without causing issues, though the neck is pretty darn narrow, so the gains would not be much.

Offline turtleDonkey

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2019, 12:59:10 pm »
The best thing to do is probably to go to a guitar shop and try a few other guitars to see how they feel and if you run into the same problem.
If you only have this issue with your guitar you could ask the guitar tech to check if there is anything wrong with it.
I play like a turtle and sound like a donkey.

Offline Holymoly

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2019, 09:46:21 am »
Is there any reason why I shouldn't play an open D chord by barring the first to third strings then playing the second string with my second finger? It has always seemed a viable option for the larger fingered man.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2019, 10:34:04 am »
Strictly speaking no reason not to do it like that (it'll sound the same) however probably easier to learn that shape at this point as it helps with other chords later on. It feels like a real pain when you start but soon gets easier after a few weeks.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2019, 03:30:16 pm »
Is there any reason why I shouldn't play an open D chord by barring the first to third strings then playing the second string with my second finger? It has always seemed a viable option for the larger fingered man.

Yes there is. You won't  be able to play a Dsus2 one of the most used embellishments
used with the open D.
On the other hand it makes it easier to play D/F# with the F# on the D string.
Eventually you'll use both methods but the 3 finger D is more important when you're
starting out.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2019, 08:36:08 pm »
Don't take that short cut as you'll lose out.
As already mentioned above … plus playing a D/F# with the F# on the low E string will be super difficult too.

Offline DaafdeRaaf

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2019, 01:13:25 pm »
Lesson Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-111-D-chord.php

Questions...
Hi Justin and the community!

Thank you, Justin, for all your great work on the site. I am a guitar rookie and I bought an electronic guitar a few days ago and received it yesterday. It's a Fazley E100 SB. I am currently at this section of your beginners course: D chord.

I am picking up fine, and I think I have the right group, but when I play the D chord, it sounds off... I have tuned my guitar with an electronic tuning device which gave green light on all strings, but it sounds weird nonetheless.

I made a video where you can hear it: https://youtu.be/AsFBAUfu2Uc

I also tried the following chord course, the A chord, and that one sounds fine.

I am hoping you or one of the community can help me out.

Kind regards,

D

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DaafdeRaaf

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2019, 01:16:13 pm »
*group = grip

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:07:36 am by close2u »

Offline DaafdeRaaf

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2019, 02:14:33 pm »
Hmmmm I just retried tuning again and now I noticed my tuner displays the wrong notes.... (E is shown as D for example). Googling around I see more people with the same issue. I am currently calling the shop where I bought everything, see if they an help.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:07:59 am by close2u »

Offline KeepingAwake

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:03 pm »
DaafdeRaaf,

We can't see your video because you're too new to the forum to post links yet.

The tuner can only tell you what note the string is playing. It doesn't know what note you want it to be.  My guess would be that the guitar was quite out of tune and you didn't realize it. So you got the notes to green, but they're the wrong notes in some cases.

From the thickest string to the thinnest, the notes should be EADGBE. Hope that helps!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App