Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 121615 times)

Online hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2016, 11:34:09 am »
I agree with Drubbing. Learn the D chord. Are you in Stage 1 of Justin's Beginner Course? When I started, I too struggled right away with the D chord. I was discouraged but guess what? I stuck with it and got it. Just like I have with every chord. It takes practice and I mean, regular, every day practice. Tons of songs use a D chord. You will need it, so learn it.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Online hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2016, 11:36:33 am »
I read somewhere that the Dsus was just as good
To use for begginers i am also struggling with this one

No it is not. I responded to your same question in your other thread but will do so again here.

When I started, I too struggled right away with the D chord. I was discouraged but guess what? I stuck with it and got it. Just like I have with every chord. It takes practice and I mean, regular, every day practice. Tons of songs use a D chord. You will need it, so learn it.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2016, 04:30:39 pm »
Its normal to struggle in the beginning. Keep going. Pay attention to what Justin says about how to manipulate your fingers and your hand. Look at pictures of guitar players hands holding the D chord then make sure you are doing the same. You will become more aware of the details as you progress and just keep following his practice routine as outlined. Its a great routine that pays great dividends. You may not get it all right instantly but you will get it all right in the end if you persist on a daily basis for just a few minutes.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2016, 05:37:18 pm »
No excuses for not learning any of the chords in the beginners course. They will all feel hard to do because you are developing new motor skills.
But all the chords are relevant so just hang in there and get them well programmed in your fingers.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline 12-string_Doug

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:19 pm »
To use for begginers
  "D is D, and Dsus is Dsus."  ;)
  And to expand on what Hilts wrote, remember there's a Dsus2 and Dsus4, both fingered differently. They also sound enough different from a "standard D" that either or sometimes both chords might get used in certain songs. (E.g., some versions of Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man." Some parts of it have all three, and you can hear the difference.)
  Stick with it, and some day it'll be "second nature" to you.  :)

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2016, 10:09:24 pm »
To use for begginers i am also struggling with this one
Please don't listen to that advice :)

Even as a Stage 2 Beginners Course player - I, too, struggled horribly with the D chord in my early days. It took me ages and ages to get it right. So much so that I actually quit over it a few years back (mentally, I wasn't in a good place and just got too frustrated with trying it). I'm back at it now again (in a much happier place, too, I might add) and, after just 2 weeks practice with 1 minute changes and picking chord sequences / songs that especially included those trickier changes with the D that I couldn't get before (along with a metronome at 60bpm), I finally got it good enough in all cases that I could move on to Stage 2.

Slow yourself down. Get your metronome out to maintain your consistency with your strumming. Take it easy. Relax. Practice to Justins Stage 1 schedule. The D chord will come.

Honestly, it will.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2016, 10:25:57 pm »
No it is not. I responded to your same question in your other thread but will do so again here.

When I started, I too struggled right away with the D chord. I was discouraged but guess what? I stuck with it and got it. Just like I have with every chord. It takes practice and I mean, regular, every day practice. Tons of songs use a D chord. You will need it, so learn it.

Hilts is spot on, you will certainly need this chord AND its associated sus chords. Yes its hard to start with but there are never any shortcuts on this journey, only practice practice and then more practice for anything and everything you will learn, so stick with it.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2016, 10:30:24 pm »
Mmm deja vu but +1 to the above three comments. Practice slow and carefully it will come. But it would be helpful if you could elaborate on the problems you are having with the D, then folks maybe able to see why you're struggling.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2016, 07:08:20 am »
I struggle a bit with the D and Dm too, and figured out that I have trouble controlling my ring finger separately from the middle finger. I think that's normal, in everyday life you never need to. It's easier if I place the ring finger first, hold it still, then place the others. At some point I'll have to be able to put them all down at once, but it takes time to develop dexterity and in the meantime this helps.
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2016, 08:46:54 am »
I struggle a bit with the D and Dm too, and figured out that I have trouble controlling my ring finger separately from the middle finger.
This is definitely something I can agree with when it comes to D and Dm. I've already posted elsewhere about my difficulties with changing between Dm and A - because the ring finger is used as an anchor finger and slides from the 2nd string on the 2nd fret to the same string on the 3rd fret. And it's just an immovable and/or clumsy object at the moment. It won't slide nice and easily as I simply haven't developed the muscle control that I need to have with it yet.

As with everything else (it seems), practice practice and more practice!  ;D

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:10 pm »
Lots and lots and lots of practice! wait until you start using your little finger then the fun really begins.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2016, 03:30:56 pm »
This is definitely something I can agree with when it comes to D and Dm. I've already posted elsewhere about my difficulties with changing between Dm and A - because the ring finger is used as an anchor finger and slides from the 2nd string on the 2nd fret to the same string on the 3rd fret. And it's just an immovable and/or clumsy object at the moment. It won't slide nice and easily as I simply haven't developed the muscle control that I need to have with it yet.

As with everything else (it seems), practice practice and more practice!  ;D

And patience, patience, patience.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Mphs-Mike

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2016, 11:39:27 pm »
From reading other posts, I'm having the same common beginner issues with the D chord as others have had and look forward to the day when it consistently rings correctly.  Practice, Practice, Practice.

Should I continue to practice the D chord while moving on to the next lesson, or should I wait until I feel comfortable that I've got the D chord mastered before moving on?

Thanks

Offline rusty0412

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2016, 05:31:06 pm »
From reading other posts, I'm having the same common beginner issues with the D chord as others have had and look forward to the day when it consistently rings correctly.  Practice, Practice, Practice.

Should I continue to practice the D chord while moving on to the next lesson, or should I wait until I feel comfortable that I've got the D chord mastered before moving on?

Thanks

I am also wondering how good should I be at the D chord before moving on? Should I be able to play it perfectly 100% of the time? Should I be able to play it without looking at the fret board and my fingers before moving on?

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
I am also wondering how good should I be at the D chord before moving on? Should I be able to play it perfectly 100% of the time? Should I be able to play it without looking at the fret board and my fingers before moving on?

Justin says.

• You should know all the chords from this stage, D, A and E, from memory.
• You should have them sounding good (if not perfect), with most of the notes sounding out most of the time.
• You should have your One-Minute changes to at least 40 changes in a minute (20 x the pair of changes).
• You should be able to play one or two of the songs from the songbook, even if you have to start and stop a little bit here and there.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App