Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 121543 times)

Offline Luvntravln

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • It Is Never Too Late!
    • Nature Interpreted
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
Hi, I really don't know where to post this question so here I am in the garbage general area. As a result of a lung disease - no I am not a smoker - I have slowed down; hence - the guitar. I travel full time, literally, so I am learning on a Martin Backpacker - small body.

Problem: D Chord!

I can transition to the A and E without a problem; with the D my 3rd finger doesn't want to go past the 2nd finger until it has touched the string.

Suggestions for training your fingers!

Thanks,
BC started December 2014

Guitar: Martin Steel String Backpacker Guitar

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »
Thumbs up for starting to learn. Even though I'm very much a beginner it's difficult after 12 months to remember exactly how difficult some things were. D was definitely the first "hard" chord to do. In general I have to say that the rule of thumb is just to practice, practice, practice. The reality is that it can take ages for things just to be muscle memory BUT when it does you never have to think about it again.

In terms of your particular problem I've just picked up the guitar and moved from A to D. Using Justins fingering I notice my second finger just naturally moves across quite nicely to the high E, my third finger stays reasonably high and away from the strings and then comes straight down onto the G string. It doesn't come across the second string at all but comes down. I would just take it very very slowly and get the finger movements right. You'll hit more bad ones than good ones to start with but if you do the 1 min changes really really slowly to start with i.e. sub 20 min, you should start to notice an improvement.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline rocky77

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 05:03:31 pm »
Have you tried watching Justin's video on the A D E changes.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-114-AnchorFingers.php

Offline afeuti5

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 07:56:40 pm »
I am having a hard time with the D chord, it seems that my third finger keeps hitting the first string and giving it a horrible buzzing noise any suggestions??

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
Make sure your fingers are curled, specially the 3rd, and if its still catching the high E occasionally, try rolling your hand towards the ceiling, so the 3rd finger is more arched and therefore further away from the top string 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:17 pm »
Buzzing comes from finger placement and a lack of pressure/finger strength usually.

1) Make sure your that third finger is as close to that third fret as possible.
2) Make sure your fingers are arched and not flat
3) Press down using the tips of your fingers and not the fleshy part.

Other things not related to your experience level that can make things easier.

1) Make sure your guitar is properly setup so that the action is as low as possible. With low action you won't have to press down so hard

2) Use extra light coated or treated strings. Extra light strings are thinner and easier to press down. Coated/Treated strings are easier on the fingers until you can build up strength and callouses.

If I've misunderstood your problem, post a video.

Mostly it's practice!

Offline Skydome

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:59 am »
I am struggling too.

I believe I have my fingers in the correct position for the D chord, what I find I am struggling with is two things.

1- I can never really get the strings to ring out clearly, once I do get one to ring out clearly the other two are stuffed and once I get the other one or two right I've stuffed another one, I can't seem to figure out finger placement so this isn't an issue.

second; I too am finding I have to really press down on the strings, and it hurts, I'm guessing I just have to build up finger strength.

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 04:17:51 pm »
I am struggling too.

I believe I have my fingers in the correct position for the D chord, what I find I am struggling with is two things.

1- I can never really get the strings to ring out clearly, once I do get one to ring out clearly the other two are stuffed and once I get the other one or two right I've stuffed another one, I can't seem to figure out finger placement so this isn't an issue.

second; I too am finding I have to really press down on the strings, and it hurts, I'm guessing I just have to build up finger strength.

See tips from deadeye in the post above yours. There are 5 tips all together. Read all 5. Plus once you build up calluses on your finger tips it will be much easier to press down on the strings.

I know what you're going thru. When I started the BC I struggled right away with the D chord and it's the very first lesson in the BC. I thought, "Great, first chord and I'm struggling already!" BUT, stick with it, keep working at it and just like me you will get it. I'm on stage 5 now but I would say after 2-3 weeks in Stage 1, I was able to make the D chord ring clear every time. You'll get it too!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Skydome

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 11:04:08 am »
I'll do what deadeye said.

So the way I understand his post, is that in terms of positioning, I need to have my hands arched and push down on the strings?

I tried doing that a bit earlier on today and it felt very strange, I guess I just have to develop the muscles to hold my hands arched so that it doesn't hurt/feel weird ?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 11:14:03 am »

No, you have to develop finger technique, arched fingers, not hands. it takes hardly any strength at all to fret chords. People press too hard because their finger tips are too soft and often lying too flat, and squash them across other strings. So they press harder and…so it circles.

Apply the lightest touch possible to the top of the string, keep plucking it. Press it down gently til it only just contacts the fretboard, and it rings clear. That's probably 90% less pressure than you're using.

Offline Skydome

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 03:27:27 am »
Interesting. So I only apply enough pressure so it just contacts the fret board not so it hurts my fingers?

I've started practicing the d chord with a beginners acoustic guitar I bought a bit ago which has nylon strings I believe, so I think I'll try and get the d chord done on that with softer strings than move on to my guitar.

Though I did notice today with my both my electric and acoustic guitar that I sort of got the d note, there was still some buzzing more so on my electric guitar for whatever reason than the acoustic, so I guess I must be getting somewhat close.

I'll keep practicing on both those and I'll practice with putting less pressure on the strings as well.

EDIT: Good news, I believe I finally got it to ring out, I still feel as though it is a little bit buzzy but certainly not as bad as what it was, I can at least hear an actual note rather buzzing.

I'll keep doing the D chord for a bit today to make sure I have it down than I'll move on to the next chord next week and get that one done than revisit this one to make sure I can still do it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:00:14 am by Skydome »

Offline Monkeyhands

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been playing about a month now and my problem is with the strumming rather than the fretboard end.  I find it really difficult with any cord where I don't have to strum every string. Like with this D chord I quite often catch the A string as well. Does anyone have any tips to help with that? Although I suspect the answer is just practice practice practice!  But As Justin says don't practice things wrong.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Offline lunarscope

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • So many positive waves - maybe we can't lose !
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been playing about a month now and my problem is with the strumming rather than the fretboard end.  I find it really difficult with any cord where I don't have to strum every string. Like with this D chord I quite often catch the A string as well. Does anyone have any tips to help with that? Although I suspect the answer is just practice practice practice!  But As Justin says don't practice things wrong.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

As a newbie myself (six weeks in and about to start Stage 3), I ensure that when practising chords (pick, strum, pick) I always start on the correct string - it's basically the string above the 'shape' your fretting fingers have formed. Now when strumming, my right hand naturally strums from the correct string. You need to create a connection between the chord shape and the strum starting position. I've been trying to explain this to my mate who is learning with me but he struggles because he started off strumming all strings for every chord and so doesn't have the connection and his chords now sound wrong.

To the OP, keep at it, suddenly you will find that it all comes together and new chords then get easier to learn. Follow Justin's practice schedule (15-20) minutes each day and you will soon notice an improvement. Have a listen to my SoundCloud recordings which show my efforts at three and a half weeks by strictly following the schedule.
Guitars: Ibanez TCM50E Talman; Cort Z42 Zenon; Squier Stratocaster.
Gear: Fender Mustang I v2; Kustom KLA10.
Road case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=36565.0
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lunarscope

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
Monkeyhands, it's all down to practise, but I wouldn't worry too much about it just now.

It's one of these things that as your guitar skills in general develop, you'll get better at. Worrying too much about it now, I think is more likely to hold you back. Certainly play a bit slower and concentrate on not hitting the strings during chord practise, but don't spend hours at this point trying not to hit the string. You should have plenty other more contstructive things to concentrate on.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »
Monkeyhands

When you do your strum pick strum routine, start on the thickest string for each chord, the strum the remaining string. ie

E pick bass 6th string only then strum strings 5 to 1.
A pick bass 5th string only then strum strings 4 to 1.
D pick bass 4th string only then strum strings 3 to 1.

This will help your strumming hand fall naturally on the 'top' string for all chords.

BTW Stitch explained this far better, in a response to one of my post last year 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App