Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 51299 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
    • justinguitar.com
BC-111 • The D Chord
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:25:32 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline iherdcats

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:05:54 pm »
I feel like I'm strangling the neck of the guitar because I'm pushing so hard on the strings. I'm following all the rules (thumb around the neck, palm not touching, treating the bottom of the neck like an electric wire) but I'm squeezing my thumb against the neck really hard to get the leverage on the strings to press them down. I'm assuming its because my fingers aren't very strong yet. Is this normal, or is it a bad habit that I should keep from developing?

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »
Squeezing the neck to hard is a very common thing for beginners. Thy this. Make a D chord and relax your
hand. Strum the guitar and add only enough pressure to make the strings ring out. That's all the pressure
you need. As your fingers and hand get stronger you will need even less or it will seem like less pressure.

Another thing is if your guitar has really bad action at the nut this will make it harder to play. Having
your guitar set up properly by a guitar tech can make a big difference.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:31 pm »
How long have you been playing? Struggling to press hard enough on the strings to get the notes to ring clearly is a common problem when first starting out. Still there are a couple of things you should check with your guitar.

Have a guitar tech look at your set up. Is the action too high? The action is how high the strings sit above the fretboard. If it's too high, you have to press harder to get things to ring out clearly. The tech can lower the action for you.

What kind of strings do you have? If they are heavy gauge strings then try switching to some extra light ones until your finger strength builds up. Also coated strings are gentler on the fingers,  A lot of folks like Elixirs Extra Lights with the nanoweb coating (for acoustics). There are other brands, just ask around.

You shouldn't have to "strangle the neck" but it probably feels like that at first. Without seeing pics or video it's hard to know if you are overly tensing up or doing anything technically wrong. If you have been playing for a few months and you don't seem to be getting stronger and your guitar is properly set up, then I would start looking at technique; otherwise, it's just part of starting out :)

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »
You fingers are still soft. The harder you press, the more you'll just indent the string in your fingers and the notes will still not ring clear. You've just got to find a good medium til your fingertips harden up.

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 04:17:02 am »
The d chord is a pain. I can do it,but switching to other chrods from the d is tough.
Switching chords feels weird to me but iam only playing 30 days lol

Offline ClausP

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
I have the same struggle with the D chord. To me it is clearly the most difficult of the 2 chords in Stage 1. Both in terms of making it ring nicely and when doing chord changes.

I guess it is just a matter of practise - I hope..... :(
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul 100 & Sigma DRC-41E
Amp: Line 6 Spider 4 30W
Started BC 30. November 2014

Online tobyjenner

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
  • Playing for 19 years - Learning for three!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »
Claus

See the comments above but yes its down to practice - proper practice ie being accurate. As a beginner one of the biggest problems will be soft finger tips. Bet they hurt like hell after a practice session? Over time you'll build up not only stronger fingers but calluses that hard pad of skin which will make fretting chords easier. These take time to develop but once you have them, you start to stop strangling the guitar!!

Keep at it and you'll soon have that D ringing clear 8) 
You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die.

Jethro Tull

https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:06:53 pm »
Yes, it's practice. Most if not all of us have been there. You wonder how you will EVER get a chord to work. Small progress then one day you've got it. I went through this with A, D, C, B7, Bm, G7, and of course the effing F chord. Keep at it. Form the chord, pluck each string, making sure it rings clearly. Repeat. Practice your one minutes changes...

Offline hilts17

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:52:32 pm »
I completely agree with the 2 comments above mine. When I started the beginner course this past July I just could not get the D chord to ring clear. I thought, "Great, the first chord and I can't even play it!" But I read loads of encouraging comments here and persevered. Before long I nailed it and as you may have heard, you wonder what the big deal was. And for sure once you get some nice calluses on your fingertips (and you will) that makes playing easier too. So just keep practising, practising, practising and you will be amazed with what you can do. I'm 55 years old, I just started stage 4 of the BC, and I can play several songs. If I can do it, anybody can.
Seagull S6 Original acoustic
Yamaha Pacifica 112 electric

Offline Zebzebra

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:10:05 am »
I have been placing my thumb directly behind my index finger on the back of the neck 3/4 of the way down, and this position forces me to severely bend my wrist, so that my hand is nearly at a right angle with my inner forearm. Although I have only been playing about for a week I am already starting to develop wrist pains from this hand posture, and it doesn't feel like a strong position from which to fret chords. How should I be placing my thumb and wrist to avoid this position? Thanks :)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 03:14:51 pm »
Take a close look at Justin's hand position on the page and in the video lesson.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-111-D-chord.php

Specifically his thumb is up towards the top of the neck which let's him keep his wrist straighter.  The curl is in the fingers not the wrist.  Sounds like your thumb is to far around the neck. Flatten your wrist and let the thumb be where it ends up when your wrist is flatter.  Will probably require adjustments to your finger arch.

Watch the video and focus on his hand wrist thumb position.  Might help to mute the video and focus on watching his left hand.

Dhadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Zebzebra

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 07:50:59 pm »
Thanks shadowscott,

I had lowered my thumb because Justin said that as a beginner I should not put my thumb at the top of the neck. Is it alright to ignore that advice in order to keep my wrist straight?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
It is a matter of degree.  If you watch the video closely, when he is demonstrating the beginners position you can still see his thumb tip peeking over the top of the neck, that is fine.  His thumb never disappears completely behind the neck.

If you look when he mentions what NOT to do as a beginner his thumb is way over and reaching around the front of the neck almost touching the low strings.  The joint of the thumb is over the top of the neck.  That is what he wants you to avoid.

You most certainly do NOT want your wrist bent anywhere close to 90 degrees.  You want to move your thumb up some so it isn't forcing your hand in that position.   I would say to rest the pad of your thumb about even with the 5th string on the back of the neck or thereabouts.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline ClausP

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »
Well, I finally got this one nailed. Found out that I needed to have my palm more parallel to the fretboard (without touching though). This made me able to get my ring finger (3. finger) more vertical down on the 2. string really using only the tip, which solved my problem.

I couldn't do this for the first few weeks, but I'm already getting some more flexibility into my wrist, so now it works for me.

So, this was my last problem with Stage 1. Stage 2 here I come....  :)
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul 100 & Sigma DRC-41E
Amp: Line 6 Spider 4 30W
Started BC 30. November 2014