Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 145898 times)

Offline Skydome

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 03:27:27 am »
Interesting. So I only apply enough pressure so it just contacts the fret board not so it hurts my fingers?

I've started practicing the d chord with a beginners acoustic guitar I bought a bit ago which has nylon strings I believe, so I think I'll try and get the d chord done on that with softer strings than move on to my guitar.

Though I did notice today with my both my electric and acoustic guitar that I sort of got the d note, there was still some buzzing more so on my electric guitar for whatever reason than the acoustic, so I guess I must be getting somewhat close.

I'll keep practicing on both those and I'll practice with putting less pressure on the strings as well.

EDIT: Good news, I believe I finally got it to ring out, I still feel as though it is a little bit buzzy but certainly not as bad as what it was, I can at least hear an actual note rather buzzing.

I'll keep doing the D chord for a bit today to make sure I have it down than I'll move on to the next chord next week and get that one done than revisit this one to make sure I can still do it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:00:14 am by Skydome »

Offline Monkeyhands

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been playing about a month now and my problem is with the strumming rather than the fretboard end.  I find it really difficult with any cord where I don't have to strum every string. Like with this D chord I quite often catch the A string as well. Does anyone have any tips to help with that? Although I suspect the answer is just practice practice practice!  But As Justin says don't practice things wrong.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Offline lunarscope

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • So many positive waves - maybe we can't lose !
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been playing about a month now and my problem is with the strumming rather than the fretboard end.  I find it really difficult with any cord where I don't have to strum every string. Like with this D chord I quite often catch the A string as well. Does anyone have any tips to help with that? Although I suspect the answer is just practice practice practice!  But As Justin says don't practice things wrong.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

As a newbie myself (six weeks in and about to start Stage 3), I ensure that when practising chords (pick, strum, pick) I always start on the correct string - it's basically the string above the 'shape' your fretting fingers have formed. Now when strumming, my right hand naturally strums from the correct string. You need to create a connection between the chord shape and the strum starting position. I've been trying to explain this to my mate who is learning with me but he struggles because he started off strumming all strings for every chord and so doesn't have the connection and his chords now sound wrong.

To the OP, keep at it, suddenly you will find that it all comes together and new chords then get easier to learn. Follow Justin's practice schedule (15-20) minutes each day and you will soon notice an improvement. Have a listen to my SoundCloud recordings which show my efforts at three and a half weeks by strictly following the schedule.
Guitars: Ibanez TCM50E Talman; Cort Z42 Zenon; Squier Stratocaster.
Gear: Fender Mustang I v2; Kustom KLA10.
Road case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=36565.0
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lunarscope

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
Monkeyhands, it's all down to practise, but I wouldn't worry too much about it just now.

It's one of these things that as your guitar skills in general develop, you'll get better at. Worrying too much about it now, I think is more likely to hold you back. Certainly play a bit slower and concentrate on not hitting the strings during chord practise, but don't spend hours at this point trying not to hit the string. You should have plenty other more contstructive things to concentrate on.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »
Monkeyhands

When you do your strum pick strum routine, start on the thickest string for each chord, the strum the remaining string. ie

E pick bass 6th string only then strum strings 5 to 1.
A pick bass 5th string only then strum strings 4 to 1.
D pick bass 4th string only then strum strings 3 to 1.

This will help your strumming hand fall naturally on the 'top' string for all chords.

BTW Stitch explained this far better, in a response to one of my post last year 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline HaverstockWill

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 10:11:17 am »
Hello - am still struggling with the D chord after about 6 weeks.

I found early on that the best way of making the D chord ring cleanly was to keep the 1st joint on my second finger straight, rather than bent as Justin shows in the vid.  This means that only the second knuckle is bent and the finger looks straight and rigid, but the chord generally sounds good.

While this created a clean sound it seemed to make for slow and awkward chord changes - so I tried to rework the second finger to bend at the first knuckle too.  This caused consistent buzzing on the top E again, and now I'm a bit of a no man's land as I don't have a decisive approach with this finger and any chord sequences including D are a bit of a disaster.

Should I return to my original unorthodox approach and try to build speed up or bend my 2nd finger as per the video and try and work on the accuracy?

I'm putting in plenty of time with one min changes, any combination including D (A-D, E-D, C-D, G-D) but no breakthrough as yet.  (I'd tried another course before, so have some familiarity with C and G).

Thanks in advance!

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 04:37:06 pm »
Monkeyhands

Practice your chords by plucking the bass note first then strum the chord.
For the D chord pluck just the D string them strum the chord if you hit the A string don't
strum the chord. Start over pluck the D string then strum the chord.

Do the same with the A chord pluck the A string them strum the chord if you hit the E
string by mistake stop and start over with the A string. Do this a few minutes a day
and in a week or so your problem will be gone.

Offline sergeanthawk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 01:54:56 pm »
Hi, I am facing the same problem as monkeyhands but I do not understand what you mean by plucking the bass notes first and then strumming. Could you explain it as which number string instead of the string's note?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:08:14 am by close2u »

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 02:20:55 pm »
Sarge,

Take a piece of paper and write down the string numbers 1 (thinnest) to 6 (thickest)

Then write down the note names next to each.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-133-OpenStringNotes.php

The bass note is the lowest string played in the chord.  For the D (and the A and the E) these are open strings.

Pluck the lowest note of the chord, then strum the whole chord.  You can include or exclude the low note you just plucked when you at your discretion.  Sounds a bit different each way.  Do whichever you like the sound of, or practice it each way.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline sergeanthawk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 03:24:35 am »

Hi, thanks for the tip. I'll do that but I do not understand how plucking the bass string will help with fixing my fingering? I pluck the string with my right hand but fret with my left hand right? How will that help with keeping my middle finger bent while fretting?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:08:35 am by close2u »

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:41 am »
Hi, thanks for the tip. I'll do that but I do not understand how plucking the bass string will help with fixing my fingering? I pluck the string with my right hand but fret with my left hand right? How will that help with keeping my middle finger bent while fretting?

Monkeyhand  problem was with strumming not with fretting. If your problem is with finger the chord it won't help at all

Offline sergeanthawk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 07:10:27 am »
Oh man, I cannot believe I quoted the wrong person. It should be the user above monkeyhands.

When I fret the D Chord, my middle finger isn't bent like how Justin does it in his video. Instead, it is straighter. This sure makes for a cleaner sound as when I bent it like Justin does in the video, my middle finger does not seem to apply enough pressure to fret the first string without it buzzing/muting.

Should I follow Justin and bend my fingers or should I stick to my style to have the sound come off clean?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 08:01:35 am »
Everybodies finger are different so if you're doing something a little different and it works
for you keep doing it.

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 09:44:44 am »
Yep guitar playing is no exact science, take Justin's videos as a guideline but trying to finger the chords in exactly the same way as him will more often than not cause frustration unless you have exactly the same hands as Justin with the same flexibility and strength etc. Remember; if it it sounds good it is good.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline Luvntravln

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • It Is Never Too Late!
    • Nature Interpreted
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 03:59:38 am »
I hear you all about practice practice.

I am 72 and spend a bit of time each day and while I can go from D to A or E or back and forth between A and E, I cannot lay down the D no matter what I try. The 3rd finger is always lagging behind the 2nd finger!

Suggestions because I really want to move forward but believe that if I can't smoothly get the first three cords I should not go to the 4th - Amin.

Thanks! :-[
BC started December 2014

Guitar: Martin Steel String Backpacker Guitar

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 08:30:23 am »
Practice playing your individual D-chord nice and easy strum-pic-strum. Only when you are confident that your D-chord comes out clean should you integrate it in chord changes. Those changes should be practiced slowly in the beginning. No use rushing things. Practice does not make perfect only permanent.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:41 pm »
Luvntravln, personally I'd say don't let it hold you back from learning the next chord.

One thing I often found during the beginners course, was sometimes my progress would grind to a halt with certain things, be that a certain chord or technique, and by moving to the next stage and learning something new/a bit harder, the earlier progress would improve as the problem thing became relatively easier.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 12:56:49 am »
Seconding what m_c said.  Some things are going to lag a bit.  But the work you do with additional chords pays reverse dividends in terms of improving your overall strength dexterity and expertise that will help you with the old stuff via learning new stuff.

Its kinda weird but for me anyway a lot of my progress/improvement happens while I'm not watching.  While i'm doing something else.  All of a sudden that E/G# that was giving me coniptions in Your Song (Justin lesson and The Weight (Justin lesson) is just working for me in Spirit of Radio.  I am not saying I didn't practice it, because I did, but it seemed very much like an exercise in frustration, but the transition between not really working to working pretty good happened while I was doing other things.

So keep at it.  The D chord will continue to come up in the songs associated with the lessons and one day you will be working on the C or G chord and notice "holy crap my D chord works, when did that happen?!"

Shadow

Offline rockstardevil

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 08:22:26 am »
Hi i just started playing the basic chords and have been practicing. But currently i am getting a problem, my first finger tends to bend outwards, when i get a perfect tune and this has been causing me a lot of pain when i play the chords for more than 5 minutes. I tried placing the finger justin used in the video, but the finger keeps touching the above string and i am not getting a proper tune.

Please help!!!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 02:47:27 pm »
Don't worry about the fingers bending outwards a little (towards the nut) but if it touches the 4th string, try rolling your knuckles toward you. That should help the tip of the finger to hit the string more horizontally and away from the 4th.

Hope that helps

8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Motion2082

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 04:29:21 am »
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the Chords D and A.

On your website Chord D only plays the first 4 strings.

I have purchased a Progressive Guitar Method by Gary Turner and Brenton White and they claim that the D chord is play with the 5th string A played open as well. I'm confused because a lot of their chords are different than yours.

Another one I noticed is the A Chord. You claim only 5 strings are played but this Guitar Method says 6.

I have attached the example of what I mean below.

Could you please help educate me as to which is the right one.

Cheers,
Paul
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:09:23 am by Motion2082 »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:04 am »
@ Motion2082

A D chord played with an open A string is still a D chord.
But ... it is what is called an inversion.
D is made up of three notes: D, A, F#.
When you play a 4-string D chord you play, D, A, D, F#.
The bass note is the root note.
Add in the 5th open A string and you play: A, D, A, D, F#.
This is called an inversion.
It is still a D chord as it has only those 3 notes.
But the bass note is not the root.

Similarly with a 6-string A chord you have: E, A, E, A, C#, E (the 3 notes of an A chord and nothing else).

BUT
In the majority of situations and songs and real-life uses, you play the 4-string and 5-string versions.

That book is failing to do its job by not explaining this.

I recommend you stick to Justin's course and beginners method.

:)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 09:39:18 pm »
They are naming the chords. If you play any note from the chord before the rot it is slash chord .
The D would be D/A  the the A would be A/E check out Justin's lesson on slash chords.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:46 pm »
The B and Bb chords bother me, too.  Looks like they are NOT showing the 5th string root note... odd. 

I could forgive them showing all the notes that "work"; low A for the D chord, low E for the A chord, low E for the C chord and all... but not showing the 5th string root for the A-shape B chords... really?

It does say "beginner", but still... I would rather see "more" notes rather than have some missing.

Maybe when you buy book 2 you get more dots?

Shadow

Offline Mehrdad

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
Hi. Can you play d chord (or any other chord) the way you want like? I play d chord with my first finger barred across the second fret of the first three strings and my second finger on the third fret of the second string can I play like that? Til now I didn't have any problems with this shape but does it really matter to play with three fingers? It's really easier this way and more efficient. you can save one finger!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App