Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 145899 times)

Offline Antilles

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #250 on: June 01, 2020, 03:16:54 am »
Hi Sewerrat,

I've been learning for 5 months now and I had the same thing. My 3rd finger would always go down last, while the first two landed at the same time.

Now it still does that, but what I have noticed is that the 3rd finger is gradually getting faster, getting closer to the timing of the other two fingers. Hopefully in a few more months it will all happen at once!

To help with this, I did do some of Justin's "Air changes" (Search for "Air Changes" and you'll find it on the Justin Guitar site) to get my fingers used to moving all at once. But otherwise, I feel like my fingers (and brain) are just working it out by themselves :)

Cheers,
Ben

Offline Rille

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2020, 05:55:49 am »
It will come with practice so don't  worry.
I'm also left handed but playing right handed by choice and I are happy with that and making good progress. :)

Peace

Offline Sewerrat

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2020, 01:15:42 am »
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, I'm enjoying my journey immensely and was hoping and guessing that the fingers would eventually do what they were told.
Regarding being a lefty, I tend to do most things right handed as its a curse we have to live with in this world  ;D, so it feels pretty good for me and the strumming is coming along nicely.

Damn anti-spam thing has keep me from posting anything for a while because I have been of an iPad and it doesn't work

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2020, 01:39:10 am »
I don't think many of us learn without those staggered finger landings for a while.. If you keep at it, your brain knows what it wants your fingers to do so that's most of the battle, slowly they'll disappear into smooth landings.   In my opinion awareness of these things is really the key. Your brain will naturally practice these things even when you're not playing.   
My dad bought myself and my older brother a set of nice golf clubs when we were 12 and 13 years old.  I was already showing promise as a young golfer as was my brother, but i was dads golfing hope of the family.  He bought 1 set of clubs plus a second bag and buggy so we could both play and share clubs.   
The clubs were right handed, my brother was a lefty.    So he learned how to play right handed.  Within 12 months he was the best golfer in the family dagnamit.  lol
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2020, 02:01:01 am »
The clubs were right handed, my brother was a lefty.    So he learned how to play right handed.  Within 12 months he was the best golfer in the family dagnamit.  lol

I'm a lefty and never considered playing golf left handed, same as with every 2 handed sport I play. So like your brother, I was always a right handed golfer. I didn't overcome anything or 'learn' to play right hand.

Phil Mickelson, probably the most successful LG golfer. He's not left handed at anything. Just learned by mirroring his dad. That is actually learning to play wrong handed.

With guitar, it was always left for me. Leftys have a natural ambidexterity, some things feel right one way and impossible another. It doesn't mean every lefty should learn something right, or that they can.

The main thing is to be sure which way is right for you before you start. A lot of leftys get terrible advice from other players or stores, that 'anyone' can learn right, and that leftys just have to try harder. Some leftys find right feels right. For others it's never going to work.

Offline dbvirago

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2020, 02:12:22 am »
I've only been playing for two weeks and D was my first chord. Today, I had a breakthrough, and it has to do with one of Justin's tips.

I was practicing some changes and was having problems placing the D. I had practiced it a ton, so this was frustrating.

Then I stopped thinking and just nailed it. My hand knew what to do, I just needed to do it. Constant repetition along with a lot of changes.

Offline RaviVaithi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #256 on: June 14, 2020, 10:02:42 pm »
Question I have is that it is mentioned that the middle finger (number 2) be on the bottom string near the second fret (towards where you tune), however, my finger slides down to be on the fret.  Is this ok?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2020, 08:19:16 am »
Your fingers need to be behind not on top of the frets.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2020, 04:51:35 pm »
I started the course today & did this first lesson.
Is it common at first for the thumb on my fretting hand to keep slipping up to the top of the neck?
I know it's early days & only my first lesson but I don't want to start getting into bad habits from the start. Trying to keep it where Justin advises but it just keeps on sliding up.
Maybe due to my new guitar (received it today) & that the lacquer maybe just too slippery to start with?
Or that my hand muscles haven't developed for this yet?
If this is common for most beginners at the start then I know it should improve! :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Get The Forum As A Mobile App