Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 134798 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 195
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2019, 02:29:15 am »
You stated in your first post you'd like to play fingerstyle.
You will nee your pinky to play sus chords and to do hammer ons and pull offs
to play melodies when playing fingerstyle.

Make sure you're not muting the string with the meaty part of your finger.
Make sure you're using the tip of your finger.

Offline Sapna

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2019, 04:42:52 am »
Thanks - that's helpful to know.

I've tried contorting my hand and can't seem to not mute the high E with my ring finger. I'm trying to use my tip, but it's still spreading out. I'll keep at it.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 195
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2019, 04:53:11 am »
You may have to develop calises so your finger tip doesn't flatten out.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2019, 08:35:03 am »
Hi Sapna.
You really do, 100%, need to learn to play the D chord in the standard fingering.
For chord changes later down the line.
For playing additional embellishments around the D chord as stitch mentions ... Dsus4 etc.
You want your fingers to be standing slightly upright rather than laying flat.
It seems silly but I say to beginners make your fingers touch the neck like an alert or startled spider - standing up. Not like a hiding spider, pressed flat, laying down against a wall.
And callouses will help when your finger ends harden more they will splay out less and so interfere with adjacent strings less.

Offline Fetch

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:36 pm »
Sapna,

You might also double check your middle finger positioning. It might be that while you're focused on your ring finger your middle finger is rolling over or sliding up to be on top of the fret rather than just behind it. This can sound like muting too.

If you have the opportunity, a picture can be helpful in this kind of situation so folks here can see your hand position and give more specific feedback.

Keep at it. You will get there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2019, 08:14:40 pm »
This more myself letting off some steam but damn why is the D chord so damn infuriating to get right? I feel like the only one who struggles with this chord.

It's getting my middle finger down on the thinnest string. I've lost count of the amount of times I don't get it down in time or have to fiddle around to get it sounding right (forcing the changes). Changes to and from D from just about any chord are often clumsy and awkward.

I'm on Stage 3 of the beginner course at this point and changes to and from D using G and C have just been so sloppy. For those of you that are struggling with this chord I'm just going to suggest this: choose songs and chord sequences that have regular changes to and from D in them.

Wonderwall by Oasis (on Justins Android app) is especially great for changes to D.
Same with Natural Mystic by Bob Marley (again on the app) is great.

It's slow progress getting D right. Given it's one of the first chords Justin introduces you to you almost expect it to be easy. But damn do I struggle to get it right with this one on a regular basis.

Online joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »

Same with Natural Mystic by Bob Marley (again on the app) is great.

Natural Mystic's Dm/Am/Em
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2019, 06:23:09 pm »
Natural Mystic's Dm/Am/Em

Not in the Beginners Song App for some reason. It's Am / D / Em on that.
That's why I said it's the app version.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 195
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2019, 06:38:54 pm »
JGD is correct it's Am Dm Em. So there is a mistake in the app.

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »
JGD is correct it's Am Dm Em. So there is a mistake in the app.

Damn it anyway  ;D I would have had much better luck switching from Am to Dm than I did battling with Am to D! Thanks for the correction guys, I genuinely hadn't noticed and just played along with the app!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2019, 11:37:10 am »
I have passed the D / Dminor error on the App to Justin and he in turn is passing it on to the App developers.

Thanks
:)

Offline Fire41108

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2019, 11:27:22 pm »
I can’t get this at all. I got my first guitar for Christmas and have had I in my hands everyday. I am having trouble with finger placement. I am muting strings with more of the knuckle part of my finger. All help is welcomed

Offline GregB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2019, 11:44:21 pm »
I can’t get this at all. I got my first guitar for Christmas and have had I in my hands everyday. I am having trouble with finger placement. I am muting strings with more of the knuckle part of my finger. All help is welcomed

Sp you’ve only been playing a few days ! The only solution is practice and in time your finger tips will get harder and yours fingers willl learn to stretch more and your hand position will improve. Just about everyone has these issues when they start and before you know it, it will be second nature, then you have the issue againalmost when you move onto some of the next chords. Once your fingers allow you too I found it best to practice a little every day or as many days your time allows.

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2019, 08:00:46 am »
     I am muting strings with more of the knuckle part of my finger. All help is welcomed

Hiya, Do you mean that the finger joint above your nail is muting the strings when you say knuckle or palm part of your hand opposite the knuckle is muting the E string. " ?

I'm not sure which video it is but Justin show the tips of his fingers in one and you can see where the strings press in, but i can't say which one it if off the top of me head, maybe a Mod can link it.

Libi.
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline Fire41108

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2019, 03:12:07 pm »
More between the main knuckle and 1st digest right where the ring sits

Get The Forum As A Mobile App