Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 114218 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2018, 10:43:24 pm »
It does seem almost impossible when first starting.  Acoustic or electric?

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline KevinH

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:19 pm »
Been playing for about 3 weeks.

When I change to the D chord, I can't move my 2 and 3 fingers simultaneously. I have to place 2 first and then 3, no matter how many time I try. With A and E chord changes, I can place all three fingers at once (well, 1 is already there, since it's the anchor, but I can press the strings with my 2 and 3 fingers simultaneously) but need two steps to get a D chord.

This makes my chord changes to D much slower than to A or E.

I'm assuming it's because the 2 and 3 finger positions are kinda swapped for D. Meaning that for A and E, the 2 finger is above the 3 finger but for D, 3 is above 2.

Any advice for getting better changing to D other than keep doing one-minute chord changes until I go all Bryan Adams (i.e. fingers bleeding)?

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2018, 06:13:25 pm »

Any advice?

Patience.

You'll get there. :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Caulfield

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2018, 12:21:11 am »
I'm really struggling to apply enough pressure with my second finger on the first string. The guy at the shop said the guitar had a low enough action for beginners.

I've got my finger close to the fret, and my third finger isn't touching the first string. I trimmed my fingernails. I guess maybe it's a strength thing, but is there a way I can adjust the angle of my grip or something?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2018, 01:57:29 am »
Put a capo on the first fret and then try to play a D chord in relation to the capo.
If it is a lot easier to play the D the your nut may be to high. If it's just a little
easier the you need to work on your finger strength.

Offline Caulfield

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2018, 08:03:26 pm »
I don't have a capo, but if I keep struggling I'll get one and try that test, thanks.

I felt like I was getting it late last night and early this morning, then when I sat down for my 30 minutes of practice today, it was like starting over and I felt like I made no progress.

I feel like one finger a half a millimeter off ruins everything, and I don't know how guitar players do it, even with muscle memory. Do the calluses that form help with playing, as well as preventing soreness?

Offline KevinH

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:21 pm »
I don't have a capo, but if I keep struggling I'll get one and try that test, thanks.

I felt like I was getting it late last night and early this morning, then when I sat down for my 30 minutes of practice today, it was like starting over and I felt like I made no progress.

I feel like one finger a half a millimeter off ruins everything, and I don't know how guitar players do it, even with muscle memory. Do the calluses that form help with playing, as well as preventing soreness?

I'm about a month ahead of you and will tell you that it absolutely gets better and easier.

A month ago, I couldn't play an open A chord.  I struggled with D as well.  Today, I can nail them consistently and even play songs like Three Little Birds without missing a chord.  A, D, and E are my go-to chords now and I'm fairly good at switching between them with the beat. 

Yes, the calluses that form help a TON.  5 min of practice used to be as much as I can handle.  Now, I can play for 30 min + easily.

I've recently progressed to the C and G.  THOSE were frustrating.  In fact, I posted in the G Chord message board a week ago that I can't even get close to playing it correctly.  A week later and, not only am I playing it correctly, but I'm up to 40 C-to-G chord changes a minute and playing Hey Joe (C, G, A, D, and Emin chords) well enough that it's somewhat recognizable.

Keep at it.  What seems impossible today will be second nature eventually.   

EDITED:  Last thing:  Follow Justin's practice routine!  I didn't want to do my 1-minute chord changes but I did them...and they work.  Justin knows what he's doing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:46:41 pm by KevinH »

Offline wajeeh

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2018, 08:42:49 am »
Is it okay to do like one minute practice in the beginning rather than the 5 minute continuous thing mention by Justin? My fingers kind of really hurt

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2018, 09:32:57 am »
@ wajeeh

Yes. Do 1 minute. Take a break. Repeat after a short time.

Offline alien51

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:06 pm »
Is not pressing the high e hard enough a common thing? I can play it properly at times but, after a bit of pressing down my finger starts to indent and hurt then it starts to sounds like a buzz until I can press it the right way.
This is only my second day practicing.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2018, 09:36:19 pm »
Your fingertips are still soft so will get dents in them when playing.
Keep at it your fingers will get calluses. 
Another thing that will help is having your guitar set up properly.
Are you playing an electric or acoustic?

Offline noobfromtheinternet

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2018, 08:56:13 am »
Is not pressing the high e hard enough a common thing? I can play it properly at times but, after a bit of pressing down my finger starts to indent and hurt then it starts to sounds like a buzz until I can press it the right way.
This is only my second day practicing.
Short answer, yes. Until your fingers toughen up that high E string will feel like razor wire.

Offline alien51

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2018, 01:18:39 am »
Your fingertips are still soft so will get dents in them when playing.
Keep at it your fingers will get calluses. 
Another thing that will help is having your guitar set up properly.
Are you playing an electric or acoustic?

It's an electric guitar. It hasn't been setup when I bought it. Though, it says it has been by the shot sometime around July.

Offline AChris30

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2018, 09:57:55 am »
Hello,
I am far beyond stage 1 and found out that I maybe got myself into a bad habit because I tend to play D like this

https://imgur.com/a/UDSZBom

I guess I got into this because it allowed me to get finger 1 closer to the fret and required less power in finger 1 at the beginning. Now in stage 4 I think I am struggeling because it is to slow to get out of it and into the next chord.
What should I do?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:07 am »
Chris

Refer to my response to your App v Website post. You're fingering looks ok to me unless I'm missing something. As often said practice make permanent, so at Stage 4 its not too late to correct any bad habits you may have developed and it will pay dividends in the future.

Again hope this helps.

Toby
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App