Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 116807 times)

Offline jakecool23

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2017, 06:15:33 am »
SiegeFrog
in the video he does say that it can be bad if done wrong u know I'd just slowly do it just remember in the video he said he has been doing it for a long time so he has got use to doing the exercises.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:46:36 am by close2u »

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2017, 12:17:19 pm »
This is a bit confusing as the thread had been inserted into another thread but replying to the OP who had  to completely alter their had position  when changing from E or A to D.

You seem to like playing the E and A with the thumb hanging off the neck. You should be able to play the D with the thumb there as well.

Try this: Form an E chord, then keep the hand and thumb where they are and take all the finger right off the fret board. Then without moving the thumb or hand, put the tip of the second finger the second fret of the high E string where it needs to be for the D chord.

You should find that you have to curl the finger quite sharply to do this. then put fingers 1 and 3 down in position for the D chord. The base of your fingers will be very close to the side of the neck.

The image shows the thumb peeping round the neck and the second finger quite tightly curled up
https://www.justinguitar.com/images/BC_images/Justin_Chord_Photos/D.jpg
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline Tom Marinan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2018, 05:58:07 pm »
I have been playing the guitar very badly for many years but have not made much progress so decided to start from scratch. When doing the D chord I have always used a bar across the 4th and 6th string instead of using 1st and 3rd finger. Is this acceptable or is it going to cause problems as I can still use the anchor method to change to A a

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2018, 06:17:51 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
It will cause problems when playing the Dsus2. A very common embellishment is D, Dsus2, D sus4.
On the other hand playing the D with a mini barre handy when playing the blues. So both have they're
place learn both.
Also this is a lesson specific question and should be posted in that lessons sub form.

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2018, 09:59:13 pm »
I am 5 months in and on stage 5 and my D chord still does not go down all at once. It's one of the longer ones to train. To me your progress sounds normal.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear of others who have the same issues as I do with D. It's one of the first chords just about every beginners course will tell you to learn (including Justin) and, for me, it has proven to be one of the hardest.

I've kept practicing it over and over and over again and still can't quite grasp it (but am getting really close). What I found helped me immensely was to practice changing to it from chords with no anchor fingers (Em to D and Am to D, for example). By doing this I got used to having to create the shape and put down my fingers quickly enough pretty much from scratch each time.

Reaping the rewards of that now (even if it has taken 6 weeks of solid practice to get it "reasonable" and still not "perfect"). I'm now gaining confidence in my changes to D instead of them being ultra slow and very clunky.

Offline WillCornwall

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2018, 01:34:05 pm »
I'm beginning and just about got the D, A & E cords right but I have a question specifically about finding the finger positions when the guitar is first picked-up.

I am trying to hold the guitar as advised and also not look at the frets to get the fingering positions.  Is there a way to learn how to get the corre ct positions for example chord D without looking or does it just come with practice (eventually)?.
Bill.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2018, 01:45:51 pm »
I'm beginning and just about got the D, A & E cords right but I have a question specifically about finding the finger positions when the guitar is first picked-up.

I am trying to hold the guitar as advised and also not look at the frets to get the fingering positions.  Is there a way to learn how to get the corre ct positions for example chord D without looking or does it just come with practice (eventually)?.
Bill.

Hello and welcome.

You're a beginner, you can't shape chords without looking. You're trying to move your fingers into unnatural shapes, and so it's not intuitive.

Do the chord practice - pick the strings/strum/pick the strings. Read the lesson, don't just watch the vid. https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-111-D-chord.php . Do the one minute changes. Do that every day. Play songs - Three Little Birds. Start slow.

Saying that, watch your posture, and try not to look over the fret board. Don't angle the fret board towards the ceiling either though.

Eventually you'll do it without looking, but that will take time, and practice :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline WillCornwall

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2018, 02:15:28 pm »
Many thanks.  I guess with practice my fingers will gradually find the correct position and shape with less initial looking.
Bill.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2018, 02:25:43 pm »
Many thanks.  I guess with practice my fingers will gradually find the correct position and shape with less initial looking.
Bill.

I guarantee that will be case indeed. Practice and patience are key.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline zedhead

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2018, 08:16:38 pm »
I had trouble with both the D and the C chord in that my fingers wouldn't go down as one unit. The C chord was the worst as I couldn't stop "walking my fingers" . It was driving me mad but I then started to do extra air changes and the results were incredible. Still not perfect all the time but much better, unfortunately its just practice, practice, practice.

Offline Daddio

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2018, 05:08:39 pm »
It seems more comfortable to reverse fingers 1 and 2 when forming a D chord.  Is this okay, or should I force myself to form a D chord using the fingering in the lesson?  I'm just worried that doing it differently may cause a problem later.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2018, 09:27:50 pm »
It will cause a problem later so train them fingers  8)

Offline Johno1979uk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2018, 01:07:07 pm »
Oh man!!! My fingers!! Only been playing three days so a total beginner. Late starter at 39. I'd say I'm hitting the D chord 10% of the time. The rest is buzzy and clinky. AARRRGGHH. My ring finger seems to want to do it's own thing.

Good to see I am not the only one on here having the same problems. This will take years I think. But years I have!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2018, 01:20:35 pm »
Oh man!!! My fingers!! Only been playing three days so a total beginner. Late starter at 39. I'd say I'm hitting the D chord 10% of the time. The rest is buzzy and clinky. AARRRGGHH. My ring finger seems to want to do it's own thing.

Good to see I am not the only one on here having the same problems. This will take years I think. But years I have!!
Welcome to the Community, Johno.

Those first few days and weeks are the same for everybody ... so much to learn and act upon.  The knowledge about the guitar and how to make chords. The need to develop the manual dexterity to put the fingers in the correct place.  The need to toughen up those finger-tips.

If you find that it takes a lot of force to hold down the strings to get a clean chord then maybe your guitar needs to be setup.  It takes some force but often learners press much harder than necessary.  Sure Justin talks about using just enough pressure. 

But the good news is that with a short and regular attention, you should make good progress reasonably quickly.  10-15 mins/day and very quickly you'll have suitably calloused finger-tips.

Enjoy the journey !!

Offline davidison#02

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:54 pm »
Hi everyone, hope you all enjoying the or evening.

I'm a beginner and finding this guitar thing really hard at the moment.

mostly holding the cords but im on the  A cord at the moment. Which im really finding it hard to  hold, the show must go on as they say .

soon I'm going to stick with it.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App