Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 119107 times)

ajc24 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline UmnyeniKH

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2016, 12:55:13 pm »
So I am on my second day of practicing the D chord doing roughly 15-20 minutes of practice a day per guidance. I've gotten it to sound solid a few times but my biggest problem comes with the 5th string (B). It still too often sounds like a dud. I've watched the video a few times and my finger isn't high on the fret nor from what I can tell is any other finger touching it. It's possible my index finger is laying on it but from my viewpoint, it doesn't seem so.

Any other common mistakes it sounds like I am making?

Thank you.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:58 pm »
@ UmnyeniKH
Hello and welcome to the Beginners Course and forum too.  :)

my biggest problem comes with the 5th string (B).

Usually, thick E is called 6th, A is called 5th etc so the B string is called 2nd and the thin E is called 1st.

It still too often sounds like a dud ... It's possible my index finger is laying on it but from my viewpoint, it doesn't seem so.

If your index finger is touching the B string it should not be affecting the sound as your index finger is behind (further away from the guitar body) the third finger at fret 3 of the B string.
Have you tried playing the single B string on its own with your finger in position ... no other fingers on the fretboard?

Offline UmnyeniKH

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »
Thank you for the welcome!

Ah, yes. I thought I noticed Justin say that in the D chord video. The first string is the bottom and the sixth is the top? I'll have to reverse my labels! :)

I have tried to single it out and it sounded fine. Well, what my untrained ears perceived to sound fine. It rang out like I believe that it should.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:17:53 am by close2u »

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2016, 01:13:28 pm »
@ UmnyeniKH

Needs more practice. You're only 2 days in :)

Make sure your finger is close to the fret, and is fairly upright. Your index finger fretting the 3rd string is behind your ring finger which is fretting the 2nd string so shouldn't make any difference. It's good practice to keep your fingers clear of other strings though.

Are you practising all three chords in Stage 1? And the 1 minute changes?

This schedule below is what you should be doing with your 20 minutes, not playing just the one chord.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php

The B string is usually referred to as the second string BTW. Count up, not down.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:18:09 am by close2u »
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline GeraltDieSocke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »
Hi guys,

there was a time 1 year ago where I took that beginner course and rushed too it way to fast and stopped at barree. So I could play the chords but not in a good sounding way.

Now 1 year later I have decided to go all over it again but then just go to next stage when the learned chords are perfectly playable and I can change through them at least once per second perfectly.

I have no problems with E and A whatsoever but I'm sturgglin with the D Chord. When I strum, pick, strum it it's always perfect. But the change from E or from A are not that perfect.
The problem is that I switch to D with the index and then put middle finger and then ring finger on it. That costs time.
On A and E I slide with the index finger and put down middle and ring at the same time.

I practiced it now for 1 and a half week or so for 1 hour a day but it seems that it gets worse then better with the D chord. I remember that I head the same problem with D 1 year ago.

Also I don't know how to place the thumb correctly on the back of the guitar. On A and E the thumb looks over the guitar neck so it's easier to hold it otherwise muscle hurts very much. But to bring the D to sound good I have to completely change thumb position for it. That also costs time and in my feeling precision.
I know it's hard to see what I mean but maybe I could come up with a little video if you want. I have the feeling that I'm doing it wrong.

I also practice the as following since 3 days:

I play a perfect D chord. Then lift of the hand holding the position for D chord. Rest it for a few secs on my foot and then put it on so all fingers hit the sites at once. Maybe that will help me to get D faster. I'm also do the 1 minute changes A to D and E to D. I can make 60 changes a min but it's everything other then good sounding and perfect. Also the fact that I have to be focused that I just hit 4 sites for D. So much little things where I have to focus on :D

I just want to play this 3 chords perfectly before I move on to Am, Em and Dm.

Thank you guys. I'm just afraid to learn something bad and it gets burned into my brain.

Offline jakecool23

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »
i had the same problem when I started 2 weeks ago but a guy sent me this video and the next day I was able to play the D chord good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:45:02 am by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2017, 10:46:15 pm »
Thanks Jake, this is really useful. Your first good vibe to you  8)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2017, 12:27:14 pm »
Interesting, not seen this vid before - will check with my mrs about this, she's an Osteopath and should give me some good tips on how to best stretch out the hand! :)

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2017, 03:02:59 pm »
I found that stretching video a few months ago, just after I first started. It certainly seems to have helped me - initially there was no way I could stretch to a C chord. Now it's quite comfortable.

If I splay both hands out, the spread of my left hand is now significantly wider than the right, especially between fingers 2 & 3.

But I don't think it will help the OP with the D chord as it's not a big stretch. I think the answer to that is just more practise!
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2017, 04:07:27 pm »
You say you have to completely change you thumb position when changing to the D chord suggests a possible issue you may have.

In order form chords cleanly you need to be able get your fingers down straight onto the stings, to do this you need to be able to flex the distal joints of you fingers. I wonder if you are not doing this so when you go from A or E to D you have to move your thumb to a completely new position in order to make the chord clean.

Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
I'm reticent to respond as I'm neither a doctor or physical therapist, but I'm weary of some of the stretches in Carl Brown's video. When I first started a couple of years ago I found that video and installed the stretches into my practice routine. A year into my journey, I developed trigger finger and wrist pain that sent me to the doctor. During my treatment, I showed these stretches to my PT. She was very concerned about any of the stretches that extended a joint past its normal range of motion. She instructed me to stop doing them. She did not say that the exercises caused my problems, just that they could be hazardous to the joints in general.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2017, 06:01:33 pm »
I found the video very interesting, thanks Jake. I recognise some of the all-finger stretches from climbing. They are very useful, but have to be used with care, as it's easy to pull too hard. I like the idea of gentle stretching as part of a warm-up routine, to get the fingers warm and agile.

Sent fra min C6903 via Tapatalk

BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2017, 08:47:34 pm »
At stage one, part of the idea is to exercise the mound of Venus area, between thumb and first finger. As OP noted, this area is painful for him, so he avoids using his thumb on the back of the neck. I love a saucy thumb, looped over the top to mute the bass strings,  but stage one isn't about learning all the useful tricks - part of it is readying your hand for what comes later. OP, slow down, rewatching the videos, and do the chords as suggested. Your hand hurts because it is being forced to exercise a muscle that has not been exercised enough. Keep!the thumb on the neck and just follow the lessons. I reckon.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline GeraltDieSocke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:06 pm »
Thank you for all your help.
I watched the video and I don't know if that is something I want to spend my time on. But the problem with the D is not the stretching, it's because I put my index finger on and then the middle finger and then the ring finger. It should go all fingers at once like I can do it with A and E.

How shoul I place my thumb correctly? I watched the videos but I still don't know how exactly. The most comfortable way is to have the thumb look over the neck a bit but the chord change is easier when the thumb is behind the neck but it hurts. So it's just a thing of more practice to train the muscle? It will get better?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:22:28 am by close2u »

Offline MCosta84

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:58 am »
I am 5 months in and on stage 5 and my D chord still does not go down all at once. It's one of the longer ones to train. To me your progress sounds normal.
BC Starting Date: 9/1/2016
Current Stage: 7

Gear: Gibson Les Paul Standard & Marshall DSL40CST

Get The Forum As A Mobile App