Author Topic: BC-111 • The D Chord  (Read 147984 times)

Offline wukong

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-111 • The D Chord
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2016, 09:09:32 pm »
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I have a question on how to play D chord correctly.

To stretch 3rd finger enough, I find it is easier with the sequence 1st, 3rd and 2nd finger. Wonder whether it is fine or it will cause trouble in the future ...
Thanks

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 576
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2016, 08:48:14 am »
@ wukong
Hello & welcome
 :)

Do you mean

e --- 1
B --- 3
G --- 2
D --- O
A --- x
E --- x

If so, un-learn that, it is going to make it more difficult for chord changes when you learn more chords.

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2016, 12:30:32 pm »
Agree with Close2u your way sounds awkward...

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
As Close says your fingering will make life harder. Index finger on the G/3rd string is come to both A and E for example and therefore stays put when changing from D to these chords or to D from them. If your playing D as Close depicts you'd have to lift all your fingers to change.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2016, 01:57:22 pm »
There's a very good reason you should play the chord the orthodox way.

Justin made a video ;)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-114-AnchorFingers.php
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline wukong

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2016, 07:11:08 pm »
@ wukong
Hello & welcome
 :)

Do you mean

e --- 1
B --- 3
G --- 2
D --- O
A --- x
E --- x

If so, un-learn that, it is going to make it more difficult for chord changes when you learn more chords.

Thanks for help.
No, I do not change the fingers position. It is still
e --- 2
B --- 3
G --- 1
D --- O
A --- x
E --- x

As Justin showed in the video, he put 1st finger on string G, then 2nd finger on string e, then 3rd finger on string B. But it is easier for me to put 1st finger on string G, then 3rd finger on string B, then 2nd finger on string e. In this way, I can stretch my 3rd finger enough close to the fret. Wonder if it matters ...

Sorry for my poor English, and hopefully I make it clear. Thanks

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »

As Justin showed in the video, he put 1st finger on string G, then 2nd finger on string e, then 3rd finger on string B. But it is easier for me to put 1st finger on string G, then 3rd finger on string B, then 2nd finger on string e. In this way, I can stretch my 3rd finger enough close to the fret. Wonder if it matters ...

Sorry for my poor English, and hopefully I make it clear. Thanks

Yeah, that's clear enough  :)

The order that you put your fingers down doesn't matter too much

Eventually you'll be aiming to put all your fingers down at once. See here

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-153-AirChanges.php

But don't worry about that at the moment, it's way ahead of where you are now. Concentrate more on getting the changes smooth and clean
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Nocturnal1961

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »
Ok been trying to do D chord on Classical I have and BF is also letting me use his Shekter but we are looking for me a practice amp. I do have sore fingers so strumming has not gone for no 5 minutes. I will not move to next chord till I can do this but have a feeling I won't master it for 5 minutes till my finger tips get toughen up. As long as I try this several times a day and for as long as I can stand it it may add up to 5 or more minutes of practice but not 5 minutes continuously.  I won't give up yet.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2016, 10:14:00 pm »
Well done and dont give up. 10-15 mins a day is all you need to start with.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:59 pm »
Hey Nocturnal told you there'd be hope !

Now you've got that D shape and are building your fingers up, start looking at the fingering for the A chord as well. Shouldn't take long to pick that up. Then once your happy with the positions for D and A try the E.
Doesn't matter if its just a few minutes on each, just learn those new shape and progress onto those one minute changes. Before you know it you'll be playing those songs.  :) :)

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline wukong

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:39 am »
Yeah, that's clear enough  :)

The order that you put your fingers down doesn't matter too much

Thank you very much!

Offline Zedd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2016, 04:16:21 am »
My noob question is about the strum, do I strum BACK starting at the smallest string or is every strum started on the first open string in the D chord, so strum downwards lift back up w/o touching the strings then strum downward again?

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2016, 05:29:29 am »
My noob question is about the strum, do I strum BACK starting at the smallest string or is every strum started on the first open string in the D chord, so strum downwards lift back up w/o touching the strings then strum downward again?

All down strums

The first strumming pattern Justin teaches is RUST 1 - four down strums to the bar

See Lesson BC-116 http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-116-Basic44time.php Ignore the chord he's actually playing, it's a E, but the captioning calls it a D ;)

Later patterns introduce up strums, but you don't need to worry about them right now :)

Offline Zedd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2016, 01:20:30 am »
All down strums, got it thanks!

Offline nmego12345

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2016, 05:07:37 pm »
I played the D chord very easily at first, but I had to study for the exams so I took a rest for a month or two.
Now I can't play the D chord at all, no matter how hard I try, no matter how slow I play.
I get my fingers as close to the frets as possible without touching them.

I can't press hard on my three fingers  and not touch the E string with my third finger at the same time.
No matter how hard I try I can't do this, I can only concentrate on two fingers at once.

If I don't press the hardest, the strings give a bad sound.

I'm arranging my fingers like this: 1st finger on the third string (from below), 2nd finger on the first string (from below) (E), 3rd finger on the second string

Replacing the 1st and the second finger is easier for me, Can I do this? Or It will make switching chords later harder?

I don't know what to do on the D chord, I never do it right, the strings are simply too hard, I don't want to practise things wrong, what should I do?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2016, 06:00:01 pm »
Sounds like your holding your fingers too flat. Try curving your hand over more and arching your fingers.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline nmego12345

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2016, 06:56:30 pm »
@Rossco Well that helped a lot, I finally managed to pull it off

Offline auburntsts

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:13 am »
So I'm on day 2 trying to get my fingers to cooperate and apparently my fretting hand is made from a single block of wood. ;)  It seemed no matter what I did my ring finger kept muting the high E.  My wrist started hurting and I realized posture wise I was doing everything Justin says not to like tilting the guitar and leaning over the neck to try and see my fingers.  I was just about to call it a session, resigned to slog it out with the realization that it was going to take time.  Then I remembered the advice in one of Justin's videos (don't recall which one) and also posted here in the forum: get a mirror.  I wasn't optimistic that watching myself would really do any good.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  In 30 seconds I had my D chord ringing out clear!  I was able to relax my wrist, curl my fingers and get proper placement on the fretboard all while maintaining good posture -- simply because I could clearly see my freak'n fingers!! While a mirror is by no means a panacea, if you're having trouble and  haven't tried it, give it shot.

Offline Ytfcwomble

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2016, 10:00:41 am »
I am struggling big time with the D chord.
I read somewhere that the Dsus chord is just as good for begginers . Is this true ?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2016, 10:07:26 am »
D sus what 2 or 4?

Longer answer, no. D is one of the most basic first chords. You have to learn the basic chords and not versions of them that can't replace them.

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2016, 11:34:09 am »
I agree with Drubbing. Learn the D chord. Are you in Stage 1 of Justin's Beginner Course? When I started, I too struggled right away with the D chord. I was discouraged but guess what? I stuck with it and got it. Just like I have with every chord. It takes practice and I mean, regular, every day practice. Tons of songs use a D chord. You will need it, so learn it.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2016, 11:36:33 am »
I read somewhere that the Dsus was just as good
To use for begginers i am also struggling with this one

No it is not. I responded to your same question in your other thread but will do so again here.

When I started, I too struggled right away with the D chord. I was discouraged but guess what? I stuck with it and got it. Just like I have with every chord. It takes practice and I mean, regular, every day practice. Tons of songs use a D chord. You will need it, so learn it.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Andrea

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2016, 04:30:39 pm »
Its normal to struggle in the beginning. Keep going. Pay attention to what Justin says about how to manipulate your fingers and your hand. Look at pictures of guitar players hands holding the D chord then make sure you are doing the same. You will become more aware of the details as you progress and just keep following his practice routine as outlined. Its a great routine that pays great dividends. You may not get it all right instantly but you will get it all right in the end if you persist on a daily basis for just a few minutes.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2016, 05:37:18 pm »
No excuses for not learning any of the chords in the beginners course. They will all feel hard to do because you are developing new motor skills.
But all the chords are relevant so just hang in there and get them well programmed in your fingers.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline 12-string_Doug

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:19 pm »
I read somewhere that the Dsus was just as good
To use for begginers
  "D is D, and Dsus is Dsus."  ;)
  And to expand on what Hilts wrote, remember there's a Dsus2 and Dsus4, both fingered differently. They also sound enough different from a "standard D" that either or sometimes both chords might get used in certain songs. (E.g., some versions of Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man." Some parts of it have all three, and you can hear the difference.)
  Stick with it, and some day it'll be "second nature" to you.  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App