Author Topic: BC-107 • Picks, how to choose one and hold it  (Read 102101 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: BC-107 • Picks, how to choose one and hold it
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2017, 09:14:11 pm »
Again the main difference is neck width, but also as the strings are metal the tension on them is greater so fretting notes requires a bit more strength. Classical guitars are usually played finger style rather than with a plectrum but if you use a thin one it should be ok. Take your time with strumming and find out what sounds best, usually the best method is to strum across the stings perpendicular to them with the plectrum at a slight angle away from them either up or down strums.
Hitting the correct strings is important, catching strings that shouldn't be played will result in a discordant sound, take your time here to get it right - you don't want to practice errors!

Sent from my SM-G900F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2017, 04:14:34 am »
I bought some 0.73 Dunlop nylon picks before I started the course a couple years ago in an earlier attempt to learn. Will I be ok with these?
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline nerves

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2020, 01:44:02 am »
What do you guys think of what Claus Levin says?

I've been playing off and on for 40 years, mostly strumming, and i was holding the pick with my thumb and two fingers just as Claus said he tried for a while. Then I watched Justin's video and started using just my thumb and index finger but I feel I have more accuracy and control when picking notes if I use the ball of my index finger rather than the side of my finger. That turns out to be the way Claus holds his pick and he seems to do well with it. I've read though this entire thread and many have said to just do whatever works best but I just wonder if anyone is aware of any pitfalls involved with holding the pick like that or what they think of Claus Levin's guitar course.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App