Author Topic: BC-106 • Body Posture and Finger Placement  (Read 143521 times)

Offline luca.brici

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-106 • Body Posture and Finger Placement
« Reply #375 on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:06 am »
Hi guys, I'm a beginner and I'm checking my posture to be sure of learning to play in the right way.
You said that I mustn't hold the neck with my fretting hand, but is it good if the neck moves just a bit? Because it doesn't fall down, it just moves a little because my right hand is strumming.
Is that a symptom of bad posture or I'm OK?

Offline Rockett

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #376 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:01 pm »
Someone please help. I'm using a stratocaster guitar and can't rest my right arm on top of it like Justin does here. I'm more or less using my bicep to rest on top with my forearm being almost parallel to the strings. Is this okay?

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2016, 09:55:17 pm »
A picture would be really helpful

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #378 on: July 28, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »
Hi everyone  :)

I have a query about thumb placement and thumb pressure. I'm on Stage 2 of the Beginners Course and am happily practicing all of my A, Am, D, Dm, E and Em chords. However it's the A chord where I notice this issue more-so.

Please note that I am also following this chord sequence from Justins Beginners Coursebook: A, D, Dm, A with 4 down strums per bar and @ 40 bpm (I was at 60bpm but I found some of the changes to be too difficult at speed and slowed it down).

The part where I have to strum 8 consecutive beats on A is where I'm having my issue. Because my index finger is so far away from the 2nd fret (as it naturally falls back towards the first fret given how Justin wants us to achieve an A chord at this early stage), I find that I have to press down quite hard on the strings to prevent the string from buzzing - and I've had many frustrating attempts at A where that one string will buzz horribly.

What I notice is that, because I have to apply extra pressure for that string, my thumb gets very tired by the end of strumming the two A chords (I have to hold that A chord in place for 8 seconds at 60bpm or 12 seconds at 40bpm). It's getting better as I practice daily but it's still a noticeable issue and has led to the following chords being that bit sloppier at times.

Is this natural early on to find the A chord so much harder to press down on? Is the thumb tiredness down to just a simple lack of finger strength - which will come with practice? Or am I placing something incorrectly?

Offline Rockett

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2016, 12:23:51 pm »
Can anyone explain why justin doesn't recommend to practice standing up all the time?

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #380 on: September 03, 2016, 12:17:40 am »
Can anyone explain why justin doesn't recommend to practice standing up all the time?

There's no reason not to, it's just most people find sitting down while practising easier and less tiring.

Offline Coley

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2016, 12:49:46 am »
Hi,
I’m a beginner and I want to make sure that I develop good habits or at least avoid developing bad ones. My question is when I play a song in which just individual notes are played, and not chords does it matter if my fingers are accidentally touching/muting other strings that aren’t being played? So far it hasn’t affected me playing a song but I want to make sure this isn’t a bad habit, and if so it’s something I would like to know so I can correct it earlier rather than later.
Thanks,
C

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2016, 10:38:00 pm »
In short, if you're new to guitar and only at stage 1 and working on chords, then no, you shouldn't be letting your fingers touch other strings.

However, as you say you're playing individual notes, it is usually beneficial, as it is a more advanced skill used to mute strings you don't want to sound. But, this is the discussion thread for the BC stage 1 lesson, where the emphasis is on avoiding fingers touching strings they shouldn't be.

Offline NoIdea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #383 on: February 06, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
Is sitting cross legged really bad for your head? And if so, should I substitute it with foot support?

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2017, 06:03:52 am »
Hi, I'm an intermediate level player. I haven't been happy with the sound of my strumming and I recently noticed that instead of bending my wrist at a 45-degree angle I was strumming on a slant and it was wearing down the nail on my index finger. I'm working on correcting this and watched this video on posture and the one on how to hold the pick. I realized that I'm playing classical style with the guitar sitting on my left leg. I think this style may have contributed to my strumming problem.

I have tried switching to the rock style [ guitar resting on right leg] but I find it very uncomfortable. I'm a weightlifter I'm about 300lbs, very wide, and I have thick legs it's a very comfortable position.

I'm kind of left in a conundrum about what position[ resting on left leg classical/ or on right leg rock style] I should use for playing/ practicing guitar?

Also, I'm wondering should my strum be directly north-south or can it angle a bit on a slant? I find it easier to strum on a slant, but it sounds a clearer when I do it north-south.

Thanks to anyone who has some helpful advice about these problems I'm having.

Offline goldfinch

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »
I also play with the guitar on my left leg, with my left food on a stool.  Or, I use a strap which brings the neck up.  I know Justin advises positioning the guitar on the the same leg as the strumming hand but I could never get it to work for me.  Maybe the problem was that I am very small and I started on a large dreadnought.  Now I play a parlor size most of the time but I still use the same position.  I tried changing but it was awkward. 

I considered whether I should force myself and then decided that I should take a couple of in person guitar lessons to see what bad habits I might have and what I should change.  The teacher said use whatever leg i found comfortable and he saw no reason to switch legs.  He is a university professor and plays a wide range of styles and guitars.  He uses the same leg as the strumming hand.   Interestingly, if he stands to play his electric he plays with the neck quite high, like I like to play.

My bad habit turned out to be not having my fingers straight up and down enough, which made it difficult to play certain cords. 

Offline StringingAlong

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »
Hello! I haven't read all the pages of this thread so excuse me if this issue has been covered before, please! Initially I didn't have this trouble, but suddenly I find my hand keeps rubbing against the nut while I change chords. So the area where my first finger meets my hand is getting sore while I play. I keep trying to troubleshoot this by curling my hand more and such, but then I find that I'm straining my wrist. I'm not sure what's happening exactly because even in a mirror my hand position seems to be okay. When I lift it away from the fretboard my fingers are in a gentle circle shape like Justin shows. My thumb is on the back of the top of the neck. I'm just struggling with this one part of my hand! Any advice?

Sent from my VS988 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

BC started 7/26
Washburn acoustic, Ammoon uke

Offline DoomedProphet

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #387 on: August 03, 2017, 12:46:04 am »
Try angling the neck of your guitar a bit. Some people can play with their guitar straight across their body, others play with various angles across their body. I usually play with the neck crossing about mid-bicep since it doesn't agitate my wrist as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Frontman 15G
Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE
Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline MikeSD

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2017, 08:02:56 pm »
I am mostly through stage 1.  I decided to go back and repeat the courses in a quicker pace, to see if I missed anything.  I found a tip in BC-106 that has helped me tremendously.

Light finger pressure. Or to say it differently, I was pressing too hard on strings. Made changes slower.  I started testing my A, E, D chords to see how lightly I could press the strings and still get good sound.  Not only was it easier, but it made the changes quicker.

I guess it pays to hear every word in the lessons. :)

Great tip

Offline gerrymac

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2019, 12:37:24 am »
Thanks for great tips on finger and thumb placement.   

I started guitar the year Stairway to Heaven came out, but off and on so still a beginner.    But I have learned a couple of things about posture, which btw gets even more important when older.

First, at least my particular fingers will try to avoid work as much as possible.   They are fine with my wrist bending and hurting itself just so they don't have to work as hard.   I have told my fingers they cannot slack anymore, and since then they have gotten stronger and my wrist doesn't hurt.

Second, I am grateful for Jose Feliciano, Doc Watson and other excellent blind guitarists because they prove you don't have to hurt your neck by looking at the fretboard.

Thanks again to all of you----and Justin, by far the best teacher I have ever had.    To those of us who can afford it, let's donate it and keep at it.

Offline meisterlampe1989

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2020, 02:34:01 am »
So I have a question about body posture: When I sit textbook straight my back starts to hurt after 10-20 minutes. I don't think that I have a bad back but like most people I never really learned to sit this way. So I am not used to it and I think that the muscles there are just not strong enough.  I read several articles that many scientists even say that it is not good to sit absolutely straight because your muscles have to work all the time.
Also I am very stiff and my playing is... I don't know how to describe it... a lot more work and unfocused and it gets more about constantly checking if I am sitting straight rather than playing guitar.

Do you have to sit totally straight? I feel comfortable when I am just a tiny bit slouched.

To be honest, I did a bit of research and I haven't seen a single guitar player who is sitting absolutely straight.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 213
« Reply #391 on: August 30, 2020, 02:46:48 am »
Where does Justin say "sit text book straight or absolutely straight or totally straight"?
I think you're reading way to much into this.
Poor posture will cause more long term problems in the long run than sitting comfortable.
And to most people thats sitting relatively straight.

Offline meisterlampe1989

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #392 on: August 30, 2020, 01:36:46 pm »
I think it was in one of the Captain's Private lessons that he something like "Sit straight like your mommy has told you".

And yes you are absolutely right: I am overthinking this. This is one of my biggest flaws... not just in learning guitar.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App