Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 191228 times)

Offline CaMi

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #405 on: October 03, 2019, 01:03:24 pm »
@ Cami

Where will you find chord progressions?
In songs.
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.
 :)
Okay, thanks for advice  :D

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #406 on: October 06, 2019, 09:24:13 am »
That's what I did to be honest, over time they kind of just all find their way onto the strings simultaneously with practice. I believe the air changes  lesson is a big step forward in getting all your fingers down at the same time, but haven't got to that stage yet.

You’re right, I can now do A,D and E almost without thinking, fingers just seem to go to the right place. I’m doing 60+ 1mcs for A to D and A to E but only around 40 for E to A.

I can do the rate min chords from stage 2 with a little thought and I’m finding G quite easy in terms of finger position and it didn’t take long at all to get it to ring true.

I really struggled with the C stretch and couldn’t get my fingers anywhere close but over a few days I can now occasional make it sound right.

I’ve tried some stage one songs and making progress with them too, I tried to play love me do to my Mrs last week and she didn’t have a clue what it was, but slowly things are coming together And I’m hoping she’ll be able to get it soon.

I did listen to Justin playing everybody hurts, one of favourite songs and loved the sound when he fingered the strings 6 to a chord.

I thought I’d gave that a go expecting frustration and incompetence, I used my pick rather than my fingers, and was astounded I’d picked it up and could repeat consistently for each of the chords. Even when I played a couple of bars for my wife she got the song straight away   :D

So I’ve just book beginners songbook vol 2 as the above is in there.

So I’m pretty pleased with progress since I started in early September with the first 8 chords understood and in my head.

Time to slow up now I think in terms of stages and try and consolidate changes between those 8 chords and learn some of the easy songs so they’re recognisable to my better half.

Loving it so far  :)

Offline alien51

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #407 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:33 am »
I have a question about picking accuracy when alt picking exercise. Should I slow down if my picking can't consistently pick accurately for more than a minute?

Feels like when I alt pick at a slightly faster rate my picking hand some reason like to stay in position instead of moving to the next string. At a slower rate I'd say I have 80% to 90% accuracy for almost the complete duration, but as soon as I go up feels like a wall and it keeps me from picking accurately for 5 minutes.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #408 on: November 04, 2019, 07:10:19 am »
@ alien - yes - get it right at slow speed first

Offline Brock63

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2019, 06:21:46 pm »
new member here....56 years young....always wanted to learn guitar as a kid but no lessons....and played trumpet instead for 3 years in school band and concert band....then nothing but football, martial arts, hunting and girls afterwards for many many years.

Started some lessons with another very popular course few years ago but after couple months stopped...was moving little fast for me I thought but will go back and go through them after I finish Justin's course....it was Marty's....but like Justins approach better for a true novice-beginner.

Anyhow 1 month in now....have done the D, A, E chords and just started with Am and Em....started working 1 minute chord drills for these three couple weeks ago and got up to 36-41 changes (18-20 sets of change)...also started doing a Strum-Pick-Strum on every chord to be sure to keep working on clarity.....and just started playing with learning the minor Pentatonic positions and pattern...first on 0 fret...then on 5th and 12th as well.  This part has been mostly trying to get to where I can pick the correct string each time and timing my fingers to match...but getting better.

This week I set up some practice stuff on his new Practice Tool and included the Finger Gym in there....

So here is my questions....

1-Do I include all chords into the 1-minute drills..in various combinations and keep building?
2-When should I consider my 1-minute drills good enough to move on to new chords...and how much time going forward as could spend an hour doing nothing but those as my chord knowledge increases?
3- I bought his Beginners song book....when it shows say A chord for first 10 words in song....do I play that chord just one time for that line or series since not broken down into bars...or do I just set a 4/4 time and strum it once per beat until the words/song gets to next change and then do that....and keep that 4/4 time until each chord LETTER is reached?

I am learning on a Takamine AN10 solid cedar top ...put lighter strings on for learning...10g instead of 11g....and bought some flexible 50 picks....anything else I need to consider or be aware?

Thanks for the info...will go through and read all the posts or as many as possible in case my questions have been answered already hundreds of times...hahaha...but wanted to reach out and say hello.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #410 on: December 12, 2019, 08:23:34 pm »
new member here....56 years young....

Welcome Brock. :)

1-Do I include all chords into the 1-minute drills..in various combinations and keep building?
2-When should I consider my 1-minute drills good enough to move on to new chords...and how much time going forward as could spend an hour doing nothing but those as my chord knowledge increases?
3- I bought his Beginners song book....when it shows say A chord for first 10 words in song....do I play that chord just one time for that line or series since not broken down into bars...or do I just set a 4/4 time and strum it once per beat until the words/song gets to next change and then do that....and keep that 4/4 time until each chord LETTER is reached?

As the number of chords increases, and the combinations become ridiculous, you focus on new ones and tricky ones within a set time limit for that section of your practice routine.
I reckon 5-minutes on 1-minute changes should suffice so five different sets of combinations in a routine. Of course, you can vary that across days.

1-minute drills ... aim to get up to 40, and 60 is even better for playing songs at near to recognisable tempo with chord changes that don't lag.

Are you fairly good at being able to tap a rhythm to a song, to count along 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?
If so then listen to the song and slot the chords in to the bars.
In the early stage songs of the beginner song books each chord gets played once per bar but may be held for more than one bar consecutively. Listen and try to figure that out with your ears for good learning.

Offline Brock63

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #411 on: December 13, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
Welcome Brock. :)

As the number of chords increases, and the combinations become ridiculous, you focus on new ones and tricky ones within a set time limit for that section of your practice routine.
I reckon 5-minutes on 1-minute changes should suffice so five different sets of combinations in a routine. Of course, you can vary that across days.

1-minute drills ... aim to get up to 40, and 60 is even better for playing songs at near to recognisable tempo with chord changes that don't lag.

Are you fairly good at being able to tap a rhythm to a song, to count along 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?
If so then listen to the song and slot the chords in to the bars.
In the early stage songs of the beginner song books each chord gets played once per bar but may be held for more than one bar consecutively. Listen and try to figure that out with your ears for good learning.

Thank you.....

Offline RKfire

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #412 on: December 31, 2019, 07:25:36 pm »
Hi everyone. I’m a new member here as well. About 5 weeks into my beginner lessons. Really enjoying it so far.
My chord changes have been consistently improving.

One thing giving me a lot of trouble - I cannot get my right hand to strum the right strings without staring at them. For example, when playing D and not looking at my hand I’ll hit anywhere from two to five strings, or with A I may hit all six or only four.

I’m sure this is pretty normal for a beginner, but how worried should I be at this stage? Should I be working really hard to get this right before moving forward, or just keep working on it as I go?

Thanks!

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #413 on: December 31, 2019, 08:04:42 pm »
You should be setting time aside in your practise schedule to correctly finger the note and then strum the correct strings.
Once you do this enough it will start to work when you are strumming in songs, but you should still try and be accurate when strumming songs.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline elbarto

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #414 on: January 23, 2020, 11:17:47 am »
Hey,

I have one question that may appear a bit weird for you.
So, is it ok to learn to play a guitar generally in the standing position (not sitting)? I ask for 2 reasons.
First of all I sit a lot at my work, so I'm trying to avoid more sitting that I absolutely need. What's more it's quite hard to sit straight while learning guitar :)
The second thing is, that I live in a small studio and I don't really have a good, comfortable spot to sit with the guitar (or enough space for the right spot). As I tried, I felt much more comfortable with the guitar while in standing position.

So, what are the disadventages of this idea?

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #415 on: January 23, 2020, 12:03:24 pm »
Hey,

So, is it ok to learn to play a guitar generally in the standing position (not sitting)? I ask for 2 reasons.
First of all I sit a lot at my work, so I'm trying to avoid more sitting that I absolutely need. What's more it's quite hard to sit straight while learning guitar :)
The second thing is, that I live in a small studio and I don't really have a good, comfortable spot to sit with the guitar (or enough space for the right spot). As I tried, I felt much more comfortable with the guitar while in standing position.

Nothing weird about a question that need an answer.

I recall the very first guitar book I brought. It mention there two ways to play a guitar, Sitting and Standing.
It's perfectly fine to to either , water ever fits the bill.

Nothing wrong with standing, go for it.

Libi
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #416 on: January 23, 2020, 10:13:37 pm »
Standing is good, especially if you have any interest in performing.
Many people sit when learning as it is easier to see the strings and fingers and the guitar is more stable.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline elbarto

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #417 on: January 28, 2020, 09:40:52 am »
Thanks a lot dudes! :)

Offline Fabrice31460

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2020, 09:39:34 am »
Hey,

So, is it ok to learn to play a guitar generally in the standing position (not sitting)? ….
….  As I tried, I felt much more comfortable with the guitar while in standing position.

Hello Elberto

Just to share my very small experience - I started one month ago.
I started sitting. Then I bought a strap (and straplocks…) and I started to play standing a few days ago.

It is a good experience for me, because it helps me to highlight as bad as was my position while playing sitted. I was "wrapped" arround my neck. For sure, chords change were easy. When I started to stand up, it was a totally other story: I had difficulties to place my fingers, my One Minute Cord Change rates drop down drastically.

I read somewhere that using a strap while sitting is a good thing, because by insuring the same tension on the strap as standing, you have the correct position. (Don't remenber if it is a Justin advice or Something coming from another source)

So for now, I will mix standing and sitting, but Always with my strap to control my position.

Hope this will help a bit

Fabrice

Offline stuartw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #419 on: April 11, 2020, 03:53:12 pm »

Check your guitar is set up well and the action is playable. If it's too high, it'll be harder to play.

How much is too high and how do I measure it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App