Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155684 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2018, 05:01:08 pm »
You may be bending one of the strings slightly as you try to make the chord. It happens when you are rushing the chord changes. If that is what is wrong you should be able to see one of the strings moving sideways along the fretboard slightly as you land on it.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2018, 06:11:38 pm »
The D chord in particular seems to sound great on its own, but when I play it in a song it sounds like a string is out of tune, although when I check it seems to be OK.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue with the D chord. I've gotten all the other chords to sound good, but when I go to play the D chord with another one it sounds off. I know why, my middle finger keeps hitting the string wrong. I don't have perfect flexibility yet so sometimes I get it right, others times I don't.

Its frustrating because I know what I'm doing wrong but I just cant get the fingers on the strings perfectly yet when I'm trying to change chords as quickly as possible. You gotta keep trying it will all fall into place eventually. :)

Offline Fantomas01

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #347 on: November 08, 2018, 03:39:04 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue with the D chord. I've gotten all the other chords to sound good, but when I go to play the D chord with another one it sounds off.

Thanks for that mixedcolors, its funny because I didn't seem to have too much of a problem last night, but I bet tonight it'll be off again haha.

I guess this is the lot of the beginner guitar player.  I can see that the chord shapes etc are relatively easily commited to memory, but it's the consistancy that takes a long time to perfect.

Slowly starting to feel my strumming falling into place, so I'm sure everything else will eventually.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:26 am »
Hi
Chantal and others with comments and helpful hints, just reading these is helping me, to learn.  I must say I am making slow progress, in the begginer course, but I am making progress!
And also I enjoy it. Which to me is what playing the guitar is all about.

Offline TFX

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #349 on: November 15, 2018, 08:35:17 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm currently doing the Beginners Course and if I follow the Lesson Map I reached the theoretical part of the White section.
My question is: When do I start to do things from the Spectrum section? Is it in any way connected to the Beginner-, Intermediate- or Advanced-course or is it completely separate from the rest? Do I take a look at the spectrum section just in between, whenever I want to or after the last course?

Thank you for the answer :)

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #350 on: November 23, 2018, 02:12:59 am »
So I've been at this now for over a month. I've been only playing the A, D, and E chords and I'm learning how to playing a couple of songs with those chords. I'm getting there, one song I'm getting the hang of it, so I know I'm progressing.

But I'm hitting a mental wall now where I'm getting sick of playing these same chords over and over again, even putting them to a song now is boring me. Should I be "mastering" these chords in songs before moving on to learning new ones, or am I suppose to just wait till I can change chords perfectly? I'm not perfect but I feel like I need to start adding something new or I'll just get burned out playing the same chords.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #351 on: November 23, 2018, 02:39:55 am »
So I've been at this now for over a month. I've been only playing the A, D, and E chords and I'm learning how to playing a couple of songs with those chords. I'm getting there, one song I'm getting the hang of it, so I know I'm progressing.

But I'm hitting a mental wall now where I'm getting sick of playing these same chords over and over again, even putting them to a song now is boring me. Should I be "mastering" these chords in songs before moving on to learning new ones, or am I suppose to just wait till I can change chords perfectly? I'm not perfect but I feel like I need to start adding something new or I'll just get burned out playing the same chords.
How many changes per minute are you up to?

I'd say move on. Each stage you will continue to use the chords you have learned before so you will still be working on them.

I've just moved up to stage 4. My 1 minute changes are up to around 45-50. I was getting ready for a new challenge and am comfortable playing all the chords just usually the song slowed down a little.

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #352 on: November 24, 2018, 03:25:08 pm »
How many changes per minute are you up to?

I'd say move on. Each stage you will continue to use the chords you have learned before so you will still be working on them.

I've just moved up to stage 4. My 1 minute changes are up to around 45-50. I was getting ready for a new challenge and am comfortable playing all the chords just usually the song slowed down a little.

I'd say easily more then 40 switching between A and E but the D chord I'm still struggling to consistently change, even then around 25-30. I'll still practice those chords everyday but I just feel like I need to start adding new things. I have a feeling the D chord I'll have issues with for a long time. My fingers are getting better at flexing so it is getting easier to make that chord.

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2018, 03:03:41 pm »
What are ‘chips’? And I don’t mean the potato variety. 😃
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard : Boss Katana 50.
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. Now consolidating and starting IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop 1968-72. Then life got in the way. Don’t know where that guitar or the years went!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2018, 03:12:33 pm »
What are ‘chips’? And I don’t mean the potato variety. 😃

Erm, in what context?

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #355 on: November 26, 2018, 04:31:31 pm »
What are ‘chips’? And I don’t mean the potato variety.

Chips is hitting the strings 1 & 2, sometimes 3 as well, playing diads or triads. Justin has a lesson on that in the Intermediate Course
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/intermediate-rhythm-guitar-5-im-155
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #356 on: November 26, 2018, 07:43:46 pm »
Thanks for that. Not reached that stage yet. It’s just that I’ve read the expression ‘chips’ used in various music books but was unable to find what it meant.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard : Boss Katana 50.
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. Now consolidating and starting IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop 1968-72. Then life got in the way. Don’t know where that guitar or the years went!

Offline TFX

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #357 on: November 27, 2018, 05:30:08 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm currently doing the Beginners Course and if I follow the Lesson Map I reached the theoretical part of the White section.
My question is: When do I start to do things from the Spectrum section? Is it in any way connected to the Beginner-, Intermediate- or Advanced-course or is it completely separate from the rest? Do I take a look at the spectrum section just in between, whenever I want to or after the last course?

Thank you for the answer :)

Couldn't anyone help me really quickly?

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #358 on: November 27, 2018, 05:50:51 pm »
There is plenty to learn in the beginner course why are you worried about the spectrum?

The play ground area would be a good place when you can't practice. It's full of helpful
and interesting video. Same with the Guitar, amp and effects.
Don't waist valuable practice time watching videos on scales that are years above your
level. Follow the beginner course as laid out from beginning to end.
If your at Music Theory Introduction you still have a long way to go.

Offline TFX

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #359 on: November 28, 2018, 03:11:32 pm »
Thank you for the reply :-)

What about the General Section? Seems as if there are a lot of basic technique videos.

And I would be very disappointed if I wouldn't have a very long way ahead of me.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App