Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 144881 times)

Offline suffolk112000

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2018, 12:13:00 am »
I have been practicing for about two and a half weeks now. I found Justin site about 2 weeks ago. Been doing Lots of finger stretching and working on the E A and D chords. I've also been working on a exercise called the spider. One thing I've noticed is, my fingers tend to push down on the string and sometimes push it over ever so slightly to accommodate finger positioning. Is this okay, or is this a bad habit.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2018, 12:31:34 am »
Hey Suffolk

Welcome to the forum and I'd be happy to help if I can but can't quite see what you are referring too with your question. Could you possible post a video of what you think to issue is, as sometimes a picture paints a thousand words (some one else said that not me).

If you're referring to the Spider its been a while since I watched the vid and at the moment it won't download. But I recall Justin saying the exercise was not for beginners. Now I'm not saying don't do it but just be mindful of that if just starting out.

There's so much of an urge to rush into things and get ahead of yourself and these things always have a negative outcome. Take it from me as I crashed and burned many times from 1996-2012 before I got here. So I try to help folk avoid my FUBAUs.

Anyways can you try and clarify
push down on the string and sometimes push it over ever so slightly to accommodate finger positioning
And if I can I'll try and advise.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline suffolk112000

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:42 am »
I can try to post a video. But I think I can explain verbally.
So I've noticed when I push down on the strings, sometimes my finger will actually push the string over ever so slightly.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2018, 08:00:49 am »
I can try to post a video. But I think I can explain verbally.
So I've noticed when I push down on the strings, sometimes my finger will actually push the string over ever so slightly.

If you're pushing the string along the fret (when done properly and intentionally it's called a bend) when making a chord you're bending the string out of tune.

Just the tips of your fingers should press on the string(s).

Forget the spider for now. Watch Justin's A, D and E chord vids and concentrate on proper fingering and making your chords sounding good
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #334 on: October 20, 2018, 02:26:31 am »
I've started learning the E chord after getting D and A learned, and this one is the worst. Ironically its suppose to be the easiest but because I'm now at the point where my fingers are KILLING me, tips and all, I'm having a hard time pushing down on the strings so playing the A chord is awful right now.

I do have a couple of questions. One, I keep reading about needing the right strings on your guitar as a beginner. I bought one of those guitars that came from a kit and I'm wondering If I'm learning on bad strings. Is there a way to tell what strings I have that came with the guitar?

Also, I know you can over practice, but how much is too much? right now I can barely tolerate 5 minutes at a time, so would I be okay doing 5 minutes, then taking a break for a few minutes then go back, ect? Or should I stop for the day when it gets really bad? I know your suppose to suck it up and press on, but I don't want to hurt myself either you know?

I just started this week so I know I have a long ways to go, and I'm excited to learn guitar so any pain I will press on  ;D

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #335 on: October 20, 2018, 07:52:09 am »
I've started learning the E chord after getting D and A learned, and this one is the worst. Ironically its suppose to be the easiest but because I'm now at the point where my fingers are KILLING me, tips and all, I'm having a hard time pushing down on the strings so playing the A chord is awful right now.

I do have a couple of questions. One, I keep reading about needing the right strings on your guitar as a beginner. I bought one of those guitars that came from a kit and I'm wondering If I'm learning on bad strings. Is there a way to tell what strings I have that came with the guitar?

Also, I know you can over practice, but how much is too much? right now I can barely tolerate 5 minutes at a time, so would I be okay doing 5 minutes, then taking a break for a few minutes then go back, ect? Or should I stop for the day when it gets really bad? I know your suppose to suck it up and press on, but I don't want to hurt myself either you know?

I just started this week so I know I have a long ways to go, and I'm excited to learn guitar so any pain I will press on  ;D

Welcome to the Community.

Can't help on string question. 

As for practice and finger-tips, just persevere.  When it is too sore stop and come back later.  Do that as often as you can on a daily basis and you will develop the callouses and finger strength in time. 

If I recall correctly, it took me a few weeks to build up to a 15-20 minute session.  And that is a reasonable practice session in Stage 1 to practice forming your chords (strum-pick-strum), then changing between them and when ready to start doing the One Minute Changes.

Wish you well, enjoy the journey ...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 397
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #336 on: October 20, 2018, 09:37:08 am »
The strings on the guitar will be the 'right type' but may be old, degraded and due to be changed for a new set.
They are likely to be either gauge 9 or gauge 10 depending on what the guitar actually is.
Gauge 9 are slightly thinner and slightly easier for a beginner to press.
Look for Ernie Ball or D'Addario or Rotosound.
To begin you may be better ringing a local shop that has a guitar tech to look over the guitar and do a little setup - a part of which will be to make it better in terms of playability and put new strings on.
Kit guitars are notoriously erratic in terms of quality and some of them can be very badly setup and hard to play.
This in itself can deter beginners because it makes the guitar more painful then needs be.

As to pain - do five minutes and no more. Then come back later in the day.
It will ease and very quickly.

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #337 on: October 20, 2018, 05:20:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I will defiantly look into one of the music stores around here to look at my guitar. I want to learn the right way and have good habits so I want to make sure I have a good working guitar.

The more my fingers hurt the more I want to play funny enough. I guess that's a good sign that its not putting me off  ;D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2018, 02:56:26 am »
The more my fingers hurt the more I want to play funny enough. I guess that's a good sign that its not putting me off  ;D

It's great that you're motivated mixedcolors!

I'd add one more thing about playing with fingers that are sore. It wasn't until some months later, after learning the early chords,  I realised that in the early days when my finger were sore,  I'd 'taught' myself to not press down on the steel strings, particularly the high E string to reduce the pain. I continued this bad habit for months because I was so intent on progressing through the course. It wasn't till I was checking the tone of each string that I heard what I was doing. It's taken me a long time to unlearn this. I still find if my fingertips are getting sore I'll do that, so I hear the unpleasant plunk of a badly played string.

So what I'm suggesting is that now and then you check the sound and tone of each string. That will quickly tell you what you need to hear.

Offline sairfingers

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2018, 04:49:18 pm »
You may also be pressing down too hard on the strings. Experiment with how little pressure you can use and still get clean notes. Its all too easy to develop a ‘death’ grip with your fretting hand.
Mature beginner. Started BC March 2018
Martin D28 Reimagined
“It’s better to burn out than to fade away”. Great advice until you realise you’re burning!

Offline mixedcolors

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2018, 08:18:17 pm »
It's great that you're motivated mixedcolors!

I'd add one more thing about playing with fingers that are sore. It wasn't until some months later, after learning the early chords,  I realised that in the early days when my finger were sore,  I'd 'taught' myself to not press down on the steel strings, particularly the high E string to reduce the pain. I continued this bad habit for months because I was so intent on progressing through the course. It wasn't till I was checking the tone of each string that I heard what I was doing. It's taken me a long time to unlearn this. I still find if my fingertips are getting sore I'll do that, so I hear the unpleasant plunk of a badly played string.

So what I'm suggesting is that now and then you check the sound and tone of each string. That will quickly tell you what you need to hear.

That's good advice. I have read that you shouldn't push down hard on the strings, just enough to make the right sounds, or you will hurt your fingers in the long run. Its hard to judge now how hard or soft I should push down on the strings since anything I do hurts and the feeling in my fingers are weird.

I'm trying to find the balance in training myself to have good wrist/hand/finger posture so I don't end up with bad habits. I think I'm doing something wrong playing the A chord. I'll have to post photos or video of me playing to get some feed back. I have a feeling my fingers are not positioned right.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:42 am »
Mixedcolors, one other thing. As you develop callouses on your fingertips, look after them. They will probably go through a phase of developing loose edges. The edges can catch on the strings.

Don't peel them off!

Best to file them down with an emery board or similar, just enough to smooth the edges.

Offline Shalo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #342 on: November 04, 2018, 06:42:48 pm »
I hope this is the right place to post this, as I'm not quite sure.

Whenever I find myself playing a song with a strumming pattern/chords I'm not very used to, or even when I'm just noodling around, I seem to find myself unintentionally falling back to the 'old faithful'. Is that a bad habit?

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2018, 09:16:27 pm »
I wouldn't call it a bad habit as "Old Faithful" is a very common pattern so it's good to have it on auto.

But it's also useful to be able to learn (and remember) other patterns.

When you are learning a song with a different pattern, get the pattern memorised by strumming with muted strings, until you can do it without thinking.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline Fantomas01

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #344 on: November 06, 2018, 02:40:59 pm »
Hi everyone

So I'm at Stage 3 and my 1 minute changes are pretty much up around 60pm, I can play along to backing tracks for a couple of songs, namely Hey Joe, Wild Thing, 3 Little Birds and I also play Knockin on Heavens Door for a bit of variety. 

I've been playing for about 2.5 months with regular practice at least every other night, and I try to pick up the guitar everyday even if I just blast through a quick chord progression before going to work.

I feel I can play individual chords OK and I've started to jazz up the strumming patterns a little here and there.  But I just dont feel that the songs sound very good and feel a bit downhearted.

The D chord in particular seems to sound great on its own, but when I play it in a song it sounds like a string is out of tune, although when I check it seems to be OK.

I guess my end guitar goal is to be able to jam along with my brother and maybe even play at open mike nights.  I know thats a long time off yet.

I'm not sure whether as a beginner White belt, I should be looking to play along to an entire song, or whether it is more a case of being able to play the main progression through a few times.

Any advice would be gratefully received.  I'm enjoying my journey but feel I've stopped progressing, should I continue to work on the beginner songs that I've been working on or move on to the next challenge.

thanks
Matthew

Get The Forum As A Mobile App