Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 144897 times)

Offline taako

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #315 on: August 29, 2018, 01:10:23 am »
I'm on stage 3 and trying to learn a few songs, i kind of rushed to this point because i didnt like any of the songs from stage 2. My chord changes are pretty solid (45-60 for all the ones in stage 3 practice, 60+ for stage 1, 40-50 for stage 2 practice awkardly) since ive been on this stage for like three weeks now.

I have been trying to incorporate advanced strumming (old faithful D DU UD, etc) but in Brown Eyed Girl justin says we aren't supposed to use them until stage 6. Why? The songs so so dull without a strum pattern and i am not finding them super difficult (not old faithful at least).

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #316 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:47 am »
I'm on stage 3 and trying to learn a few songs, i kind of rushed to this point because i didnt like any of the songs from stage 2. My chord changes are pretty solid (45-60 for all the ones in stage 3 practice, 60+ for stage 1, 40-50 for stage 2 practice awkardly) since ive been on this stage for like three weeks now.

I have been trying to incorporate advanced strumming (old faithful D DU UD, etc) but in Brown Eyed Girl justin says we aren't supposed to use them until stage 6. Why? The songs so so dull without a strum pattern and i am not finding them super difficult (not old faithful at least).
I think Justin's approach is to establish really solid basics, the foundation.  For strumming he is focused on a smooth steady rhythm, in time with a metronome at a range of tempos.  And he builds on this through to Old Faithful when you start skipping a down-strum, which in his experience, is often tricky for beginners. If you are solid on the basic strumming then I don't see a problem to be playing BEG with Old Faithful. 

Something that has worked for me is to record myself playing and post up on the Performance/Progress area.  Doing that I have been able to confirm that my impression of how well I am doing is realistic, that I am not developing bad habits that without a face-face teacher I am not able to detect.

Offline taako

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »
x
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:56:02 pm by taako »

Offline Fantomas01

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2018, 12:42:17 pm »
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum!
The simple answer to your question is that an Electric guitar is easier to play than an acoustic in the early stages.
If you get either type and the setup isn’t correct both will be more difficult to play than a correctly set up one but the electric will be easier the biggest reason being the gauge of strings used. Generally speaking electric guitars come with 9’s or 10’s acoustic with 11’s to 13’s - thicker strings means sore fingers because the tension is higher. If you’re already playing acoustic don’t rush out and buy an electric, if your acoustic has been properly set up it won’t be a problem.
Good luck with your future efforts!!!

Thaks Darrell, I've got an electric that I've loaned from my brother whos been playing forever.  Still enjoying the course and making some progress I think.

Offline Fantomas01

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2018, 12:54:46 pm »
Hi everyone

I've been following the course for about a month now and I feel like its going well.  I'm enjoying it anyway  :)

I've got to stage 3 and can play the chords OK.  I usually get around 45-50 one minute changes so feel I'm doing OK on that.

I have been working on the rhythym exercises and I can do the DDDUD to a metronome on different tempi (thanks Justin;). 

However, it all seems to go to pot when I try and play a song, I've been working on Hey Joe and Wild Thing and I just can't seem to drop my fingers into the correct grips and keep up the strumming.

I keep telling myself to keep strumming and not worry about missing a note out of the chord but just can't seem to get it.  Also, when I play a bad chord etc. it seems to throw me out completley.  It must be because I know the song so well in my head, when I can't replicate it, my brain tells my hands to stop what they are doing ??

Any suggestions on how to keep my right hand moving would be great.  I've had a couple of false starts in the past with learning guitar and bass, and I feel like I've made much more progress recently and I want to keep going with it.

Thanks for reading
Matthew

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:02 pm »
Matthew, all you need to do is slow down the tempo until you can get the changes right - initially it doesn’t matter if you’re playing way too slow to get it right, once you start getting there you can gradually speed up until you get up to tempo.
The whole thing is about patience and diligence, practice both and you will be rewarded.
Good luck!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
Matthew,

When you do your rhythm exercise do you do that with muted strings, a single chord or with chord changes?

Maybe initially it might be useful to treat the chord progression of the song like another rhythm exercise.  By that I mean play the progression using just down-strums with the metronome.  Do it slow enough that you can make the changes while continuing to strum as per the rhythm exercise.  Once you know the chord progression then you can speed up and start to think of yourself as playing the song.  Maybe that small re-frame may help.

When you play a song are you also attempting to sing it?  If so that may be throwing you off.  Good approach to limit what you have to concentrate on in the beginning.  Initially just taking care of chord changes and strumming is enough.

Other than that, just have confidence that you have learned chord grips, built up speed with one minute changes and over time you will be able to play the songs.  Initially perhaps just with 4 down strums per bar and over time in more and more sophisticated ways.

Offline DarthCroz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2018, 04:36:02 pm »
49 year old beginner here. With life stuff, it's been slow going. (8 months to get to stage 5) At level 5 now, I'm feeling like I'm not making much progress in my daily practice as opposed to earlier stages. I'm doing the recommended 30-minute schedule.

So my question is, do I just keep plugging away at 30 minutes a day until it clicks? Or do I add practice time?

And for those that suggest adding time (on the days I can) do you suggest adding a second 30-minute session? Extending the time of ever part longer? How do you suggest boosting practice time?

Thank you,
Bob
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:57:16 pm by DarthCroz »

Offline AlexOT

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2018, 05:36:26 pm »
Besides my daily practice routine I add as much time as I can (and not overplay and burn out)!

What I do after practice is put music on or jamtracks and just float away, doing scales, improvising, make noises and/or try to actually play along. It’s easy, fun, improves my playing and motivation! Also time flies with a looped backing track 😬 Somedays I have to stop, because my hand gets exhausted (working on tension release and meditation for that)

Good luck and you are doing great!!

Offline silman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #324 on: September 12, 2018, 06:13:09 am »
So as i have been progressing i noticed two problems on my fretting hand:

1) I have started to le the inside of my hand rest on the bottom of the neck. I remember justing saying in one very early video to pretend like there is an electric wire running along but bottom edge (high E side) of the neck and not ever let your hand touch it. I have started resting against it for C and G chords and i think it has started to form a habit for the other chords as well. I still play chords find and i am not getting any buzzing from the high E it just am worried its "Bad form".

2) My thumb likes to point towards the headstock as it rests along the neck when i do C chords and occaisionally other chords. This seems like bad form as well. I feel like the thumb is always supposed to be pointing up to the ceiling and resting against the neck so that if needed it can wrap around and fret the Low E (which .i cannot do right now). Should i focus on making sure my thumb is not pointing up the neck to the headstock when i rest it?

Offline Fantomas01

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
Matthew,

When you do your rhythm exercise do you do that with muted strings, a single chord or with chord changes?

Maybe initially it might be useful to treat the chord progression of the song like another rhythm exercise.  By that I mean play the progression using just down-strums with the metronome.  Do it slow enough that you can make the changes while continuing to strum as per the rhythm exercise.  Once you know the chord progression then you can speed up and start to think of yourself as playing the song.  Maybe that small re-frame may help.

When you play a song are you also attempting to sing it?  If so that may be throwing you off.  Good approach to limit what you have to concentrate on in the beginning.  Initially just taking care of chord changes and strumming is enough.

Other than that, just have confidence that you have learned chord grips, built up speed with one minute changes and over time you will be able to play the songs.  Initially perhaps just with 4 down strums per bar and over time in more and more sophisticated ways.

Thanks for that David.

I think the main problem I'm having is I'm getting ahead of myself.  As I said, I've been practicing for about 4 weeks, my guitar aim is to be able to jam along with my brother and maybe play a few open mic nights with him (he's been playing for about 30 years and is really good).

I sometimes struggle when I play a chord individually they sound great, but when I play them in a sequence they seem to sound off or somehow disjointed.  Also, the strings of the previous chord often ring out when I change to the next one, and it doesnt sound right.  I know I will be learning about muting etc in the future so is it OK to accept it for now ?

I am probably my own worst enemy and am clearly trying to run before I can walk, it's difficult when you are the sole judge of your progress.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys.

Offline DUrquhart

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »
Hi All, I'm currently on stage 4 and have started working on strumming patterns, can I ask when you start introducing this to songs? I'm a wee bit away from this just now.  When I'm playing the songs up to stage 4 I can't even get my head around how you implement the strum patterns into the song

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:29 am »
DUrquhart

From what I recall Justin recommends sticking with the 4 down strums per bar or one down strum per beat for the BC songs until around Stage 8. This is to ensure you get a really solid foundation of timing and getting your left and right hand working in unison. Sound advice but I think many folk try to introduce the patterns much earlier. Just make sure you have mastered that basic grounding before jumping in but have a go if feel you've mastered the timing and coordination.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline silman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #328 on: October 12, 2018, 12:50:55 am »
DUrquhart

From what I recall Justin recommends sticking with the 4 down strums per bar or one down strum per beat for the BC songs until around Stage 8. This is to ensure you get a really solid foundation of timing and getting your left and right hand working in unison. Sound advice but I think many folk try to introduce the patterns much earlier.
 8)

I just spent two months on stage 3 and in that time i definitely incorporated the strumming pattern for Hey Ya! to a point where i can do it without thinking. unfortunately i have not used a metronome as much as i should so i wonder how solid my rhythm keeping is. I also started learning to do muted strums from the Lean On Me tutorial and i've pretty comfortable with that too. I just moved onto stage four and am planning to try and use the metronome more and foot tapping more. Probably should post a new video update to get critiques.

Offline DUrquhart

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2018, 10:37:10 am »
DUrquhart

From what I recall Justin recommends sticking with the 4 down strums per bar or one down strum per beat for the BC songs until around Stage 8. This is to ensure you get a really solid foundation of timing and getting your left and right hand working in unison. Sound advice but I think many folk try to introduce the patterns much earlier. Just make sure you have mastered that basic grounding before jumping in but have a go if feel you've mastered the timing and coordination.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Phew good I'll keep practicing the strumming patterns until I get to stage 8 unless I feel comfortable implementing them.  But the pressures off

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App