Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155544 times)

Offline Banksy

• Good Vibes 0
  • Strum on....
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2018, 06:13:47 am »
Hi,

??? :-\  Tune with a Capo or Not?
I am complete beginner and never even heard of a Capo until I wanted to start to learn guitar.
I know how to put the Capo on the guitar and for there purpose (well a little at least) But could you please tell me if whenever I use a Capo, do I have to re tune the guitar with the Capo in place? Only when I put the capo on, the chords never sound right, I have Two Capo's, A G7 and the other is the same as what is in the Justin store. The G7 seems ok, but as general rule if it sounds bad with a Capo, would you re-tune to standard tuning (depending on tuning required for the song) with the Capo in place, then obviously, re tune again once the Capo was removed?

Banksy  :)

Leftie playing in a Righties world :)
Total Beginner, But we all start somewhere.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2018, 07:04:11 am »
Yes you should retune when using a capo and taking it off. If your guitar is set up perfectly then you may
not need to retune. You should retune any time your guitar doesn't sound right with or without a capo.

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2018, 07:36:06 am »
Depends on the capo, and the guitar to an extent.

Using a Shubb capo on my acoustic or my electric I don't need to re-tune.
With a Jim Dunlop on the acoustic it's usually OK while on the electric I sometimes need a tweak after I take the capo off.

Mind you, I need to adjust the Shubb between guitars due to the different neck size, so it tends to stay with the acoustic.
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2018, 08:46:34 am »
If you are asking whether to tune your strings to the notes
e
B
G
D
A
E

with a capo on then NO NO NO NO ------- STOP RIGHT THERE.

With the capo not on the guitar, tune it up.
Place the capo on.
Now you need to know the names of all 6 notes the capo is making at the fret you have chosen to place it.
You need to use your tuner to make sure that those notes are showing correctly on your tuner.
You may need to make some small adjustments.
If any of the strings are sharp then best advice is to take the capo off again, slacken those strings, replace the capo and then when you are fine tuning, you will be tightening the strings to correct notes which works better than loosening them to correct pitch - especially with a capo on.

Offline Banksy

• Good Vibes 0
  • Strum on....
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2018, 03:04:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Helpful.
Close2u; being a total beginner i am a little confused to your reply, though do understand what you are saying. How do i know what notes to tune the strings to, depending on where the capo is placed?  For exampme; if the capo was on the 2nd fret, what would the notes of each string be tuned to? Silly question, but how do you know that? Not you personally, but for someone like me who, who cannot read music and has never learned any musical instrument until now. Is it alot easier to get to grips with and lwarn, than it sounds?
Thanks again for your comments.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2018, 03:38:28 pm »
Take a look here, this shows the notes at each fret you would have to tune to when using a Capo, you may not have to change them but it's also useful to know the notes so you can check if it's still in tune.
http://www.guitar-chord.org/fretboard.html
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Banksy

• Good Vibes 0
  • Strum on....
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2018, 05:10:54 pm »

Take a look here, this shows the notes at each fret you would have to tune to when using a Capo, you may not have to change them but it's also useful to know the notes so you can check if it's still in tune.
http://www.guitar-chord.org/fretboard.html

Thanks Darrell.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline JordiL90

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2018, 07:23:11 pm »
Hello,

I didn't really know were to ask this question, but I have alot of free time during the day, and I currently practice 4 days a week. My goal is to be able to play blues lead guitar in a band and play a few gigs a month. I am currently at stage 2 of the beginners course and was wondering if I can practice more then 22 minutes a day, and if so what should I focus on?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2018, 07:50:01 pm »
No reason why you can’t practice more if you want to but I wouldn’t do it all in one session, if you intend to play Blues then I would suggest that you look at what style of Blues you want to play, there are several different styles, it’s worth looking at artists that you know and like and analyse their style then look for other artists who play the same sort of style. A lot of learning is about understanding the styles and structure of what they are playing, without that knowledge you won’t understand how to play it. Next look at the scales and chords used and make sure you can play them fluently.
Don’t deviate from the BC, the structure is really good and will definitely get you playing faster than learning random things that you might think will be good but as I said a bit of extra work in your desired direction won’t do any harm provided you don’t let it take over from the main course; THE most important way to learn to be a good solo player is to learn rhythm guitar first so you can get your timing right without thinking about it.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2018, 10:12:42 pm »
Banksy welcome to the forum. I have a tuner that I change to Chromatic setting when I put a capo on. This makes it very easy to tune the guitar. When I take it off I re-tune with my tuner on the Guitar setting. Looking forward to hearing more of you.

Offline The_Fien

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »
Hey,

So I am nothing but time and I want to practice as much as possible while I'm unemployed. I've been practicing everyday for 3 weeks, sometime 4 or 5 times a day ( I do one main practice and 3 or 4 times I just do chord changes). I'm at stage 2 at the moment able to play A, E, D 60 changes a minute.

I'm wondering as I have so much time and can practice at any time of the day should I split my practice into multiple sessions a day? I was thinking 30 minutes 3 times and then increasing in 5 minute increments.

Also I have built up calluses quickly and the last week my fingers don't really get sore but I have to stop because my fingers wont move properly to change chords after a while. Do you think this is because I am practicing too much too soon or should I keep practicing until I get stronger? I'm not in any pain or anything and I'm enjoying the practice.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2018, 08:51:06 pm »
I have to stop because my fingers wont move properly to change chords after a while.

The key to effective practise with most things, is to be able to realise the point at which you stop progressing, and that comment is just after that point. At that point, go and do something else for a while.

How much you practise throughout the day, is entirely up to you. There is a limit as to how fast your brain can absorb information, so in terms of time spent practising, four 30 minutes practise sessions are likely to be less effective than the same 30 minute sessions spread over 4 days. However you'll still progress faster with multiple sessions a day.

Offline The_Fien

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2018, 08:18:38 pm »
Ya that makes sense, I'm going to do three practice sessions a day. I will have had the guitar a month on the 20th so I am going to record a video then and post it here.

Offline Fantomas01

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2018, 10:31:58 am »
Hi Guys

Tired Justin's lessons in the past but really got into them this time around, about 3 weeks in and on stage 2, and feel like I'm making slow but steady progress.

One thing that puzzles me though is that Justin recommends beginners start with electric guitar but then the videos in the beginners course are played on an acoustic.  I realise it probably doesnt matter, but I just wondered why.

Thanks
Matthew

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2018, 11:06:54 am »
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum!
The simple answer to your question is that an Electric guitar is easier to play than an acoustic in the early stages.
If you get either type and the setup isn’t correct both will be more difficult to play than a correctly set up one but the electric will be easier the biggest reason being the gauge of strings used. Generally speaking electric guitars come with 9’s or 10’s acoustic with 11’s to 13’s - thicker strings means sore fingers because the tension is higher. If you’re already playing acoustic don’t rush out and buy an electric, if your acoustic has been properly set up it won’t be a problem.
Good luck with your future efforts!!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App