Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155679 times)

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #285 on: July 04, 2017, 07:48:40 pm »
This is interesting what you say about the speed. I downloaded one of those apps that slows down the original song, and some songs are on my practice schedule simply because I cannot do them at 100% speed. So you are saying move on and maybe revisite the song later for speed?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »
This is interesting what you say about the speed. I downloaded one of those apps that slows down the original song, and some songs are on my practice schedule simply because I cannot do them at 100% speed. So you are saying move on and maybe revisite the song later for speed?

I'd say move on but keep practicing that song and eventually the speed will come. It took me 6 months until I was able to sing along with a couple of songs, I then revisited the first songs I had learned 6 months ago and found out I could also sing along with them too

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »
While we are talking about speed, one more thing that I would like your opinion on: out of the options 1) playing along with the original song, maybe at lower speed, 2) playing with a metronome and 3) just playing by yourself and tapping your foot, how do you practice? Do you do all three or start with one and then change to another?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2017, 08:02:45 pm »
This is interesting what you say about the speed. I downloaded one of those apps that slows down the original song, and some songs are on my practice schedule simply because I cannot do them at 100% speed. So you are saying move on and maybe revisit the song later for speed?
Exactly, don't get too hung up about it if it sounds OK but a bit slow.
It doesn't matter how you time yourself but using the track or a metronome is going to be the most accurate.
I find it is really good to record yourself periodically so you can compare to what you can do at a later date; plus it's much easier to spot what needs attention.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2017, 09:10:45 pm »
I will do that. I don't know if I have the courage to post the video, but I will start taping 👍😊

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »
I will do that. I don't know if I have the courage to post the video, but I will start taping 👍😊

Remember nobody is going to judge you on here, everyone's been where you are in the learning process. I've only posted two videos up and it took me 6 months to pluck up the courage. I'm glad I did because people have been great at offering advice. It's good to get another persons perspective on your playing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »
While we are talking about speed, one more thing that I would like your opinion on: out of the options 1) playing along with the original song, maybe at lower speed, 2) playing with a metronome and 3) just playing by yourself and tapping your foot, how do you practice? Do you do all three or start with one and then change to another?

For me it is a combination and differs depending on why I learn the song.
If it is for band use, I start by playing the song for my self. Getting the changes and the progression internalised.
Then I play along with the original slowed down. I up the tempo as I get more and more familiar with the way it is played in the played back version.
When at 105% (yes, 105%) I am ready for rehearsal with the band.

If I learn a song for my own purpose I do the same steps as before. But during that first stage I also start humming the song to get a feel for the melody.
When the previous steps are done I play on my own to a metronome and work on the singing.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
Danni,

I've not tried playing along with an original. What has worked for me is playing along with Justin on his song video lessons.  Initially when he is explaining and playing real slow. Eventually I've been able to play through with him at the start of the lesson when he plays the song to show how it should sound.

I don't play songs with metronome but do strumming practise with a metronome. For songs I just play and after a while sing, just trying to get into a groove .... foot tapping, head bobbing, whatever comes to try and get into it.  No idea if I am faster or slower than original, as long as it sounds ok. Which would be based on how I have the original in my head.

But really whatever works for you to learn each lesson, play songs ... steady rhythms, smooth changes, clean chords.

Cheers
David

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2017, 04:51:26 am »
Danni,

I've not tried playing along with an original. What has worked for me is playing along with Justin on his song video lessons.  Initially when he is explaining and playing real slow. Eventually I've been able to play through with him at the start of the lesson when he plays the song to show how it should sound.

I don't play songs with metronome but do strumming practise with a metronome. For songs I just play and after a while sing, just trying to get into a groove .... foot tapping, head bobbing, whatever comes to try and get into it.  No idea if I am faster or slower than original, as long as it sounds ok. Which would be based on how I have the original in my head.

But really whatever works for you to learn each lesson, play songs ... steady rhythms, smooth changes, clean chords.

Cheers
David
What worked really well for me was I created: playlists of songs as I was learning them, and once a week or so I would put on the playlist and play along with Bob Marley, Bob Dylan etc.

I don know if it was important or not, but whilst playing and singing along, I imagined myself playing to friends, to girls, at the pub, at Wembley etc.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2017, 06:29:51 am »
@danni
I started a month ago and I am at stage 2. I got most of the 1 minute changes up to speed now, except the ones with dmin in them. I do train all changes, not only the ones which justin says. When I get one at 60 changes per minute two days in a row, I skip that one the next day untill I get them all. I am only practising two songs now, three little birds and 5 years time. I can play along with bob in three little birds but 5 years time is too fast. Still looking for a good app on macbook to slow down songs from spotify. I practise both songs with metronome and foot tapping. I try to start slow but find it difficult to keep rhythym whem I am below 50 bpm.
I can play all chords clearly on my guitar so instead of 5 mins only practising strum pick strum I added trying air changes with the first three chords.
I only do ear training two or three times a week because it becomes too merorized instead of listining what sound it is.
How longer post than I meant to.
Ow yeah I did post a recording of myself playing. Its in roadcases. A really rough version of the chorus of three little birds. I will post somethin there every few weeks.

I got a question too. How do you know if your guitar needs a proffesional set up or not? My guitar plays fine now but I got no idea if it can be set up even better. The strings are about 3-4mm above the fretboard around the 12th fret

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline RobertTKunze

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2017, 12:47:34 am »
so i am trying to learn how to play guitar and my cousin gave me an old one of his that he never uses. I dont know anything about guitars so how do i know if the guitar is good quality or if i need to get a new one. To me it doesn't sound like most acoustics but i dont know anything about guitars.   :-\

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2017, 01:04:19 am »
A little more information would help. Like what brand is it?

Pictures would help even more.

Offline RobertTKunze

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2017, 03:15:54 am »
A little more information would help. Like what brand is it?

Pictures would help even more.

My cousin said that the guy never finished staining the guitar so it looks kinda funky :P idk if that ruins anything or not but this is my guitar. If you need more pictures let me know. I have no idea on the brand or anything like that, all i know is that it is a guitar, lol...

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2017, 04:08:37 am »
It looks like an inexpensive nylon string classical guitar. You could start learning on it. The finish being sanded
of want stop it from being played. If you deside you want to continue playing guitzr you may want to get a steel
string acoustic or an electric.

Start with Justin's beginner course anb deside from there.

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2017, 07:02:08 am »
If you know you keep wanting to learn guitar I think you are better of with a steel string acoustic. A good one to consider is the fender CD60S. They are around 200 euros, and you get a lot of guitar for your money.
That one is mine:)

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App