Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 113575 times)

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2017, 05:37:17 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the Perfomance section a bit, but I think I need to practice some more before I put something up there. I will start with recording myself to see how it sounds when I am not busy with chord changes, foot tapping and looking at the fretboard and listening to the song ;D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2017, 11:50:22 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the Perfomance section a bit, but I think I need to practice some more before I put something up there. I will start with recording myself to see how it sounds when I am not busy with chord changes, foot tapping and looking at the fretboard and listening to the song ;D
100% Paul

Keep practicing,  playing songs and having fun then I don't think you can go too far wrong.

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

I would like to get your feedback on some thoughts, I appologize if this was discussed here before and I haven't seen it.

I am in the beginner course, started stage 8 today.

1) First of all, I noticed that whenever I am playing, I am starring at my hands all the time. I am looking down at either the fretting hand or the strumming hand...if it were physically possible I am sure I would stare at both at the same time. Is this normal for a beginner and will this go away with time by itself, or do you think I should force myself to look elsewhere at this stage to not develop a bad habit this early on?

2) My second question is regarding songs. I practised 2 to 4 songs per stage and I think with a metronom I can get through the songs quite ok, but only with the book in front of me. I cannot do even one song by heart, I always need the chord changes in front of me....which I believe will make me look extremely stupid at the next party when someone says "oh so you can play the guitar now, so play something".. well I can't, I need my book in front of me. How do you deal with this? Do you learn to play all songs by heart, or do you pick some?

3) Last question: When I practise a new song, I never sing. I always practise strumming and chord changes without singing until I can get through the song. Then when I feel, now it works, I try to sing, and I have to say (apart from me being a very bad singer), it's most of the time impossible. I cannot find the rhythm to sing at the same time as the rhythm for the strumming hand. What do you think about that? Is this normal, should I concentrate for now on the guitar and just imagine some lead singer would do the rest? Or is the ability to do both something you should start early with?

I am really looking forward to your comments, apart from all the small things like how to do an F-chord, these issues have been going trough my mind for a while now.

Cheers!
Danni

Offline mikeb2102

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2017, 05:17:29 pm »
Hi Danni. I too am a beginner on Stage 8. With regards to either looking at your fretting hand or strumming hand, I think that's perfectly natural for a beginner. It's very rare that I'll be looking at my strumming hand but whenever there's a chord change coming up in a song I'll glance at my fretting hand.

I think if you need a book in front of you when playing a song it's down to lack of practice on that particular song. When I learn a song I break it down into sections and I repeat a section until I don't need anything in front of me before moving onto the next section. Eventually I'll have remembered the whole song, (I do still accidentally hit the wrong chord now and again but thats all part and parcel of learning a song. I'll usually work on one or two songs for a couple of weeks before moving onto another song and even when I'm learning other songs I'll still revisit the songs I'd already learned so as to keep them fresh in my memory.

Playing and singing at the same time is hard. It takes a lot of practice. With me it depends on the strumming pattern. Only recently have I learned that I can sing when I'm playing a DDUUDU strumming pattern or a DDDD pattern, anything else I really struggle putting singing and playing together. I suggest you practice on a simple down strumming pattern and try and sing over the top of that. Once you get that down find a strumming pattern that works for you and practice so much that you do it without thinking about it, then eventually try adding vocals

Sent from my SM-G920F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:05:37 am by close2u »

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2017, 07:16:54 pm »
It's normal, but there are some steps you can do to improve.

1. It sounds like you haven't actually tried memorizing a song yet. Try it. Go back and choose a Stage 1 song (just A D E) and memorize it. It will be repetitive, so it shouldn't be too hard to memorize. As usual start slow and keep the rhythm simple at first. Ramp up from there. For some, memorization requires some diligence. Play along with the original helps here.

2. For looking at your hands, what happens if you don't? If you're looking at the songbook, keep looking there. Your fretting hand knows where to go, let it go. If it doesn't sound right, use your other senses (hearing and touch to fix the problem). An extreme version of this is to play in a dark room. You have only your ears and fingers to guide you.

3. I think most beginners struggle with singing and playing at the same time. Justin has a lesson on this. I either wouldn't worry about it now and tackle it later, or keep it simple. Choose an easy Stage 1-3 song that you know really well and start there. The guitar needs to be on autopilot. You can't think about singing and the guitar at the same time.

4. One of the consolidation requirements for the BC is to be able to play 10 songs. If I remember correctly, that's 10 songs from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »
Actually, I think both of you are spot on... I have this terrible feeling that I moved too quickly through the course. You are both right, it is lack of practise on each song and yes I haven't even tried to memorize a song.

I think what I am going to do is, I will go back to stages 1-7 and properly learn the songs. Try to not look at the hands, and practise singing with the easy strumming patterns in the beginning.

You know it's weird, I have been reading in this forum soooo many times "Take it slow, don't move too quickly" and I always thought, oh well, I don't move too quickly, this advise just doesn't apply to me. Well I guess it does. I think it's because I was just so excited to learn, I was obsessed with reaching stage 7, cause that's where you get to learn Wanted Dead or Alive, which I really really wanted to play.

Patience can be quite hard... but I don't want to be sloppy, I want to do it right  :)

Online DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2017, 08:36:14 pm »
That's the best attitude to have, learning the guitar is a lifetime thing there will always be something to learn!
Remember the old adage more haste less speed, this is a great model example.
What you have keep in focus all of the time is that you are learning to play a guitar not a particular song you like - as you progress that particular song you may have struggled with will be easy.
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #277 on: July 04, 2017, 06:35:04 am »
How much time did you spend on those stages 1 to 7? I don't want to go too fast either. But I find it difficult to decide whether to move on or not

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline danni

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2017, 06:39:17 am »
I started January 1, so 6 months, with one big holiday break where I didn't have the guitar with me in between. I got stuck for 7 weeks on the F chord, so if you deduct that you can see that some stages I just spent 2-3 weeks. I realize now that was too quick. When did you start?

Gesendet von iPad mit JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #279 on: July 04, 2017, 07:14:28 am »
That's too fast, you can't really cover what you need to properly at that pace; if you had said 12 months that's more like it.
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2017, 07:32:00 am »
Except for Stage 6, I think it's reasonable to average a month a Stage. Consolidation may take longer. Also, try to learn 1-2 songs per stage. Learning a song means being able to play it the whole way through. I think for most people after practicing it that much they have it memorized. Also, it's common for song learning to lag behind a Stage or 2 as you progress. All this is just about the guitar, not singing. Justin doesn't set any goals for singing.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2017, 07:33:37 am »
The proof of the pudding is in the playing ...

There are guidelines ... how many OMCs, playing solid with metronome, etc ... even some quite specific ... play 12 bars blue using triplet strumming in key of E, A and G to be "done" with stage 5.

But sometimes it is hard to judge yourself.  That's where I think recording and posting is invaluable.  Once you can play through a song, without necessarily having to sing as well, then you could video yourself, post the performance and the get feedback that will help you to calibrate exactly where you are.  Many folk are making these videos really low tech ... just a mobile phone or tablet propped up in front of them.  Nothing fancy, not looking for radio-ready recorded quality ... just enough that people can see and hear and provide feedback.  And doesn't have to be a video, many post just an audio, which is fine, perhaps less intimidating and simpler.

Doing that will help overcome the one disadvantage of not having a physical teacher (as I see it), being the lack of feedback from somebody who knows to correct errors, judge progress etc.

Cheers
David

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2017, 07:36:56 am »
How long people take to finish the BC is extremely individual, I've read here everything from a few months to two years (I'm firmly in that last category  ;D) It depends not only on how much time you actually spend playing, but also on age and flexibility and previous musical experience. But six months is definitely quick.

A tip for memorizing a song is either trying to record it or planning to perform it in front of someone. To me that's a whole different ball game from just playing through it for myself. I have to concentrate a LOT more.
BC Stage 7 started August-ish 2017
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2017, 07:42:58 am »
How long people take to finish the BC is extremely individual, I've read here everything from a few months to two years (I'm firmly in that last category  ;D) It depends not only on how much time you actually spend playing, but also on age and flexibility and previous musical experience.
Well said, Laila

So one should probably not compare with anybody else.  I consider the question "so how long have you been playing" after posting a recording to not be that useful.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #284 on: July 04, 2017, 07:17:30 pm »
How much time did you spend on those stages 1 to 7? I don't want to go too fast either. But I find it difficult to decide whether to move on or not

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Paul

As others have said our times to complete the course are all individual and down to how quickly we pick things up mentally and physically. Just abide by the Practice Schedule "lesson" at the end of each stage and read what Justin expect you to have accomplished before moving on.

But don't get hung on getting everything perfect. I made a couple of big mistakes during my 22 months on the BC and try to pass these on to others, so they can learn from my "mistakes".

First off I started out practicing on electric and acoustic and would not move on until I had nailed everything in the stage on the acoustic, when it was fine on the electric. Ok song wise I was always a stage or two behind but that's normal.
Because of this I spent 6 months on Stage 6 as I just could not get the E-shaped barre chord F major nasty bit of work to sound good and clean I lost confidence and went back to Stage 1.

Around then - about a year in - I got my acoustic set up by a pro and bingo barre chords where no longer an issue.

Starting again the other thing I did, was not to get hung up on getting everything perfect. If I new the mechanic of a chord or scale or whatever but couldn't quite reach the required level, I just carried that forward in my practice routine along with the next stage.

By the time I got to BC-199 (Consolidation) I had a clear indication from my spreadsheet based practice schedule, exactly what needed to be worked on an brought up to spec.

I've adopted that approach ever since and although it meant a shed load of work to Consolidate the Intermediate Course I found it kept me motivated and moving forward (but only if I was confidence I understood and could play each element at 75% or more).

I slipped back into my old ways working through Master The Major Scale and Blues Rhythm and kinda of lost my way a bit. So I've recently given myself a big kick up the jacksee and reverted to this formula and am now making progress again. Slow but steady progress. I know something are going to take long to play as my 60 odd year old tendons scream and shout on some moves but with practice and effort they'll find their way. So I might watch a few lesson ahead of where I am comfortably playing and get my head in gear while my physical self plays catch but regardless of how long it takes I intend learn and play as much as I can while I'm still drawing breath. Aint no fool like an old fool.

One final tip. Don't get hung up on speed/tempo when it comes to songs. If you can play a song at 80% its original tempo but it sounds good (but slow) put a tick in the box and move on. Speed will come with practice, the some practice and after that some more practice.

Don't seat how long the course takes. It take what it takes ad is what it is. Enjoy learn and you'll do ok.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Get The Forum As A Mobile App