Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 158486 times)

Offline aswin

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »
Hi. I don't know if this has been asked before in any of the forums, but how should I keep or store the guitar when not in use?

Online joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2016, 03:39:44 pm »
Hi. I don't know if this has been asked before in any of the forums, but how should I keep or store the guitar when not in use?

In a case/gigbag, hanging on the wall, on a guitar stand. The latter isn't recommended if you've got kids or pets :)

Not by direct sources of heat, including sunlight (we don't get that in the UK anyway...), or leaning against furniture.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2016, 04:14:38 pm »

Keep it handy. Mine hangs right next to the dinner table. This way I can grab it whenever I feel like it. It is also visible which means that I am constantly reminded to practice and play.
Don't hide it.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2016, 05:02:27 pm »
On a stand and wall hangers. I have good humidity in my house all year round.
My wife even dressed my guitars up for Christmas.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »
I used to keep my guitars in their cases. However I found myself not bothering then because I was too lazy to get a guitar out. Now I have at least one guitar out on a stand. Currently have two out, as I've left my electric plugged into the amp.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline scorpio58

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2016, 06:51:18 pm »
Keep it handy. Mine hangs right next to the dinner table. This way I can grab it whenever I feel like it. It is also visible which means that I am constantly reminded to practice and play.
Don't hide it.

This.

I find because it is constantly on view (or looking at me in a seductive manner) I pick it up and will spend 10 - 15 mins just noodling.

Obviously on top of my scheduled daily practice sessions.

The other Sunday I woke up at 5.30, couldn't get back to sleep, which p***ed me off no end as it is my only day off and if the weather is good normally get out on my motorbike with a few mates for a good blast.

So  got up and came downstairs, looked at my guitar, it looked back and said "play me". So I did, for about an hour.

Well I say that but I did make myself a bacon sandwich first, best not to rush things.

The missus came down about 7.30 and said " Oh, so your playing with both your toys today then."

I replied, "I would have played with all  3 but you were still asleep."

Got a gentle slap for that!

The point is - keep it in plain sight, make it part of your environment, make it easy to just mess about on.

Do not hide it away, it will stay hidden, it will not be in your eyeline, it will gradually vanish.

FWIW

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2016, 10:34:52 pm »
Hi guys,

This may seem like an unusual question - and apologies if this has come up anywhere before (I couldn't find it if it has)... I am only a Stage 1 Beginner on the Beginner Course. My practice room is the spare room of my house but, unfortunately, this also seems to be the warmest room in my house during the summer (poor choice it seems) :)

I find that, when practicing, my hands get very hot and sweaty - especially as I'm trying to apply pressure to press down the strings and build my finger strength in these early days. As a result, my thumb tends to slide up the guitar neck towards the thickest string as I'm changing chords. It's not overly bad and I'm getting used to managing it. But it's still frustrating to have to regularly adjust my grip as I'm playing.

I do believe it's because my fingers aren't quite strong enough yet - definitely as I've built that, this problem has become less of an issue. But still... it's distracting and frustrating.

Is this an issue that others have, too? What can I do to help this, if anything?

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:17 am »
Yeah, you want to avoid playing anywhere hot and humid - like the Mississippi Delta or a heaving rock club. Seriously though,  you'll just get used to all this stuff.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2016, 01:38:48 pm »
Yeah, you want to avoid playing anywhere hot and humid - like the Mississippi Delta or a heaving rock club. Seriously though,  you'll just get used to all this stuff.

I understand that playing in hot places happens - I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help. Thanks for the tip that it's just something I'll have to deal with :) I'm very much a complete novice at this so I genuinely didn't know if there was an alternative.

I'll just keep going as I am :)

Offline Donald Bones Argo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2016, 02:06:28 am »
Hi Everyone. I'm new I just  found  Justin Page about  3 weeks ago. I' ve started the 3 chord exercises.  Moving onto the  exercise of changing chords that part is kind of rough. I know it takes time. I know everyone is different. But How long is the standard time to spend on this before moving on to the next?

Offline Buckeye1971

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2016, 03:38:43 am »
Hello Donald and welcome to the forum.

I don't think there is a standard time. Like you said everybody is different. It mostly depends on how long, and just as important, how efficiently you practice. Just follow Justin's course and you will be fine.
Here are HIS guidelines:

When to move on to the next stage?

It's very hard for me to define the point at which you should move onto the next stage. You should understand the content of this stage, but many skills will develop over the course as well.

The real answer is to move on when YOU feel ready. However, I know that it can be hard to tell when you feel ready or not! So, here are some suggestions as to what you should have accomplished before moving on:

• You should know all the chords from this stage, D, A and E, from memory.
• You should have them sounding good (if not perfect), with most of the notes sounding out most of the time.
• You should have your One-Minute changes to at least 40 changes in a minute (20 x the pair of changes).
• You should be able to play one or two of the songs from the songbook, even if you have to start and stop a little bit here and there.

Beware of trying to perfect every stage, as that will just lead to a feeling of hopelessness! I'm still trying to perfect simple things, and to be honest, I don't think we ever stop improving, so there is no ‘end game' – don't wait until every chord is PERFECT, be happy with good. Perfect will come later! That said, don't be moving on if you are sloppy as a wet sandwich either!

Hope that helps you decide when to move on!

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2016, 05:04:25 pm »
You first attempts at changing chords are going to be rough and for a lot of us took many weeks, if not months of practicing that little bit a day to be good enough to start playing a stage 1 song. The good news is that once you develop the essentials of this "skill" it gets easier with other chords. Hang in there

Offline Donald Bones Argo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2016, 12:35:10 am »
Guys  Thanks for welcoming me. I appreciate the feed back. I'll continue to practice. I don't know if had mentioned this.  But some days. I'll practice the A,D A and E chords and they sound nice and clear. Other days they sound like Joke. Thanks again for the feed back. I'll stay in touch. Happy Strumming.   

Offline MichaelNL

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2016, 11:15:43 pm »
Hello all,

Just like Donald I'm wondering about how long things take on average. And I know as well that it depends on too many variables to say something about it. But I thought it would be nice to tell my guitar journey so far.

I started about five weeks ago. The first two weeks my fingers were quite sore. But now I can practice for an hour or more. That will still hurt my fingers but the little pain there is will disappear in five to ten minutes after stopping. I must say that I practiced nearly every day and my guitar still is in need of a setup. The action is pretty high I guess. I used a little trick to make it a bit better until I can get the setup done. I tuned my guitar one step down and play with a capo on the first fret. This makes it a lot easier to play. I don't have to press so hard on the strings anymore.

The A, D and E sound good every time I play them. Especially A was nearly impossible for me. But when I started using the tune down/capo on the first fret trick it became a lot easier.
The really hard bit is in the 1-minute changes. My top score so far is about 27 changes but those where a bit too sloppy for my liking. They sound decent (but not perfect yet) when I'm playing them around 22 a minute. I found any change to D the hardest because the shape I make with my second and third finger becomes different.
The first time I started on the changes I managed around 7-8 in a minute. So it's slowly getting better.

Sometimes I sit and do the changes really slowly and today I started to try and put my fingers down without looking. Up until now I had to look at both my fretting hand and my strumming hand to make sure the chords sound right. I must say I was pleasantly surprised that it went not too bad without looking for a first time. I expected to mess it up completely but thanks to the anchor finger I was in the right place most of the time.

I'm very curious how soon I will be at 40 changes a minute because I would love to get into playing the first songs!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2016, 08:22:04 am »
Oh boy, I could open an ebay pick-shop if someone would give me a pick for everytime the question about how long it takes to do the beginners course/ do x changes pops up.

I understand the need to reassure yourself that you are not slower than everyone else.
The fact is that you need to program your fine motorskills to do the chordshapes and that takes awhile. How long that takes is different from person to person, but you can be pretty certain that if you follow the practice regime Justin has prepared for each lesson you will arrive in due time.

There are no short cuts only hard work and you decide how much fun or how much of a chore it is.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App