Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155651 times)

Offline Khatru

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2015, 01:49:05 am »
Hi everyone
New to the site and a new beginner. Been doing the course for 2 weeks and I've begun attempting some stage 1 songs. I've noticed I'll seem to progress for a few days and then a day comes that I seem to go backwards. When I progress its small but motivating to me, probably sounds like a dying duck to someone else but nevertheless. I'm glad I found this site , I'm 50 years old and never picked up a guitar before but always wanted to. Looking forward to the lessons

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2015, 02:44:25 am »
Welcome to the forum.
You'll find as you travel along this journy we call playing the guitar there will be peaks
and valleys. It's not a steady climb up hill. Occationly you will feel like you're going backwards.
Record yourself once a week and you will hear your progress. It will be very little some weeks,
leaps and bounds other weks and some weeks you'll wonder why you ever started.
Keep at it music is the best gift you can give yourself.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2015, 08:12:57 am »
Welcome Khatru and congrats on starting your journey. Would definitely give a thumbs up to the approach you are taking following the course and learning songs at the same time. Keep at it and as you've seen whilst there will be a few peaks, plateaus and troughs in your progress ultimately you'll get better.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2015, 02:13:48 pm »
Happens to everyone. Good luck, stay at it.

...but I have to ask, are you a Siberian Khatru? Yes?  ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline JaminCat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:32 pm »
When doing the 1 minute chord changes should I also be aiming to strum only the strings that should be strummed for the chords?

Also is it cheating as a beginner to mute the Low E, for chords that don't use it, with my thumb?
BC Started: 14th November 2015
Guitars: Yamaha FG-336SB, Yamaha LL16M ARE
Because everyone needs a giggle https://soundcloud.com/ben-short-199425083

Offline Curtis Suter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2015, 03:20:52 pm »
When doing the 1 minute chord changes should I also be aiming to strum only the strings that should be strummed for the chords?
Yes

Also is it cheating as a beginner to mute the Low E, for chords that don't use it, with my thumb?
Absolutely!

Offline JaminCat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:36 pm »
Absolutely!

Hope I've not made that too permanent in my brain/fingers then  :-\

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2015, 04:01:28 pm »

Clarification here:  This is a valid technique - so don't forget it - it is not cheating.  But one might avoid it as a beginner as focusing on using the thumb to mute the low E string can interfere with properly executing the chord grips.  Make it harder to keep the fingers nicely arched and positioned.

So rather than classify it as "cheating" I would tend to say it is something you may not want to worry about at the beginner stage, and just continue to aim for the "right" strings until the basic chords are working well for you.  They sound good without you having to think too much about making them sound good.

The general order is to first learn to get the strings you want to play ringing out clearly while trying to aim for only the strings you want to hit.  Once you begin to become proficient at that and have developed more hand strength and dexterity, you will start to learn more advanced techniques to mute the strings you don't want to hear.  One of which is "thumb over muting"...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline JaminCat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »
When I'm changing between chords, especially ones that don't have a anchor finger like C and D, I find that I'm still putting my fingers down 1 then 2 then 3.

Will they start moving at the same time by themselves or should I spend some time moving them slowly and at the same time?

Offline JaminCat

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2015, 09:52:44 pm »
When I'm changing between chords, especially ones that don't have a anchor finger like C and D, I find that I'm still putting my fingers down 1 then 2 then 3.

Will they start moving at the same time by themselves or should I spend some time moving them slowly and at the same time?

Looks like http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-153-AirChanges.php answers my question.

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:26 am »
Hi guys,

I started playing guitar 2 months ago but a a few days ago I noticed that the thumb of my left hand started to hurt...is my technique bad ? I guess I'm pressing to much with my thumb to compensate the lack of force in my fingers...some say that they use their chest and the right arm to hold the guitar against the fingers of the left hand when playing and this way they just use their thumb for orientation only...I this technique bad ?...should I start playing this way ?

Thanks.
Hi  I was the same and actually had trigger thumb from pressing too hard. I kept on playing. Splinting it at other times and it cleared up. I'm 64 and been playing for 8 months - so I guess I expected problems. All good now though. Don't worry too much. It will all come right eventually :)
I started a year ago at age 58 and I did it,so it's not age...Those very first 3 chords required the muscles in my fingers/wrist/forearm/upper arm to be used in ways they never had.I thought I knew what contortionists feel like.Early on I even had to help place my fingers WITH MY OTHER HAND! ;D
It will all settle down for you,relatively soon.I was on stage 1 for 2 months and I probably rushed it at that.
My size problem was thinking my hands were too big... ;D At 6-2 and 250ish pounds,I have rather large hands/fingers...Sausage fingers... ;D
Didn't matter...Practice and time fixed it for me and it will for you.
The calouses calm down too,and you get a sense of feel through them...More time and practice...

Like you,I don't really know anyone who plays to talk to either.That's a big reason I come here... :D

Yes your fingers will stretch but you have to work at it.There are different exercises designed to focus in on specific areas of stretch/strength,which themselves all take time and practice to show results.
3 weeks in may be a bit early,but when you feel ready,I suggest starting with the "Finger gym",found in the technique section.You're going to constantly need more stretch and more strength as you progress.By stage 3 or 4 you'll see what I mean... ;D
Really try to not be frustrated.I've been down that road and can go on at great length on how that will stunt you,from personal experience. ;)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline Khatru

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2016, 04:04:25 am »
I'm about 7 or 8 weeks into first ever picking up a guitar. I'm in stage 3 and do fairly well with chord changes except the d to c causes me to pause but getting better. My question is: I do attempt to play a song or 2 that is not part of the course and that is above my skill level. Is this the wrong thing to do? These songs have parts that aren't using any chords I know or probably aren't a chord. Something like the very beginning to Roundabout or I've toying around with Country Boy Can Survive which does have the chords I've learned but also some other picking and a different strum than 4 down. Thanks

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:22 am »
Hi Khatru, Nothing wrong in learning something that isn't on the course or is slightly beyond you. If nothing else it will keep you interested. My only guidance is that you shouldn't let it totally distract you from the course or getting the core skills down. I say this only from experience in that learning songs can take oodles of time and sometimes that is at the expense of proper learning/practice.

A good practice schedule which combines learning songs is the best way to go. Perhaps allocating a night or two a week just for songs is the way to go with the rest for structured practice.

My experience also tells me that doing the course, getting it down and practicing on easier songs makes it a lot easier in the long run to learn those harder ones....that said my barre chords probably wouldn't have come along as well as they have if I hadn't identified a couple of songs that I really wanted to learn that needed me to play them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:19:12 am by Rossco01 »
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:36 am »
Totally agree Rossco01 I just couldn't get the hang of Bm until I had to use it in as change from D in 'why does it always rain on me,' it made practise more enjoyable!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline notbulby

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #224 on: January 20, 2016, 05:03:53 pm »
This might be a silly question but how long should we be on stage one of the beginner course before moving on?

It's been a week since I started and I already notice that my fingers aren't as sensitive anymore and don't ache as much when I press down on the strings. The only problems I seem to have are muting of the strings which I try and correct as much as I can but I just wonder to myself sometimes how long students should theoretically take at this stage. I want to know so that I know if i'm doing too much or not enough in my practices.

Thanks!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App