Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155560 times)

Offline ee.griffioen

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:05 am »
I am a flute player and I have a better quality flute with holes in some keys (like a clarinet). Over the past few weeks I have noticed the pads of the corresponding fingers getting a bit fatter (only on the pad of the finger). You mention later in a lesson that the fretting fingers will narrow themselves out a little, but will that affect my flute fingers? Also, I am aware that I will develop callouses on my fretting hand, but do you think those will affect them as well?

Offline HeatherBug

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2015, 11:52:42 pm »
@ee.griffioen
I believe the biggest change in the fretting hand comes from continually trimming the nails short on that hand. Eventually it seems that you have more pad at the tip of the finger, beyond the nail when you are looking at the back of your hand. I have developed calluses at the very tips of my fingers but not on pad/where your fingerprint is. (Hope that makes sense). I've been playing about 5 months now and I play 30-60 minutes, 5 times a week usually.

Offline 5jugglers4th

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2015, 07:09:38 pm »
Howdy!
I've tried to find an answer for this one; I couldn't get my hands on one even though I did a lot of reading on the forum.  ;D
I know some chords, I know about open chords, I also know when the string is supposed to be mute (X). But what do I do when 2 strings are supposed to be picked but when they are apart on the same fret? Let's say E String (thinnest) and A string fretted both on 3rd fret; the strings in between on the tab are not fretted or mute just not played at all. So how should the 2 others be played? I tried between the index and thumb... :o
Thank you for any answer!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2015, 07:22:45 pm »
Hi there a relative beginner also  ;D but I would suggest you are doing it correctly using thumb and first finger to pluck the string together at the same time.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2015, 07:41:27 pm »
Thumb and index is correct if you are using your fingers. If you are using a pick the pick plays the A sting
and you play the e string with either your middle or ring finger which ever is more comfortable.

It's called hybrid picking.

Offline Davdo

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2015, 06:34:22 pm »
Hi. I am at BC stage 4 and I would really like to learn fingerstyle. Should I wait the end of the course or I can start learning it? Thanks.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2015, 06:47:31 pm »
You can start learning finger picking patterns at any time.
Still do the BC  as it is layed out and add the finger picking to the chords
as you learn them. Most of the song in the lessons can be strummed or finger picked.
Learn both ways. If never hurts to know both. 

Offline ruth.tbg

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2015, 02:39:37 pm »

Hi,the truth is that I have a while since I started playing the guitar and now I started to face the barred chords wich are so hard..my wrist hurts a lot..I mean in an unsupportable way..the question is:It is normal to hurt that much?I did become frustrated,but I don't want to stop playing the guitar.. (by the way,I'm not so good with posting,don't know if this is where I should ask,I'm a newbie here,hope I didn't bother somebody) :-[

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »
Ruth just to make you feel a little better most people find barre chords hard and they do seem to take most (not all people) some months to really get. I would say that whilst I'm getting more comfortable on electric there is definitely a long way to go on acoustic.

If it's hurting then you might not be doing something quite right in terms of the pressure your apply or the angle you're trying to apply the barre. I'd review the comments in the forum for the specific lesson. Also it might be an idea to take a look at the e shaped barre chord lessons in the IM foundation course as they might help.

There are lots and lots and lots of songs you can play without touching a barre chord so don't give up and just keep plodding on.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »
If you are hurting your wrist lift the guitar neck up on more of an angle.
Try and keep your wrist as straight as possible. You can do serious damage
to your wrist by cranking it more than 45deg.

Offline Davdo

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2015, 04:45:31 am »
At stage 5, when playing cords with 3 fingers like A or D, I noticed that my pinky is separated from rest of the fingers. Is that wrong and if it is, how to fix it? Thank you.

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2015, 08:39:47 am »
I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
For those chords you're not using your pinky, just keep it out of the way ;).

For later chords, you will be needing your pinky. You'll also find that your pinky is less obediant then the other fingers ;)

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2015, 10:37:59 am »
I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
For those chords you're not using your pinky, just keep it out of the way ;).

As de_conne writes it should not pose a problem. Just make sure that you are not letting it slip behind the neck (of the guitar ;)) to keep it handy for the Next chord which might be one where you need it.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:55 am »
Hi.. I am 64 and started with Justin about 8 months ago. I last picked up a guitar when I was 15 and strummed along to Donovan!
There are lots of hurdles in the beginning but you will get over them eventually. It's just practise and more practise. I don't have anyone to help me either but I go back over earlier lessons just for the buzz of being able to do them easily. I get stiff hands as I have mild arthritis and even had trigger thumb for a few weeks but I never stopped playing and it's now gone. I can now play many acoustic songs plus a few more complicated like 'Wish you were here' and 'behind blue eyes'..
Keep going and you'll be pleasantly surprised. There will be 'off' days too but don't give up! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2015, 10:47:18 am »

Hi guys,

how long does it "generally" take to go through the beginners course ? How long did it take for you ?

Thanks

Took me about 6 months playing every day - and i still go back now and again to see just how well I've progressed. My big 'F'  and Bm is still slow but getting there!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App