Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 160384 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2015, 10:50:14 am »
@ Dosce

you will have been taking lessons focussed on single notes, reading musical notes from a classical start point I imagine ...

Justin teaches 'popular' guitar ... not classical

Offline Dosce

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2015, 11:06:02 am »
Ok, I didn't know there were differents kinds of guitar teaching !

Another question : why is it suggested to buy a set of picks instead of just one ?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:19 am »
Hello !

I am just wondering one thing before starting these lessons.

A few years ago, I had guitar lessons, and my theacher was learning me to play the guitar string by string, I was just playing notes, I didn't even know the existence of the chords. Though, you seem to only use chords.

Where does this difference come from ?

This is commonly the the 'music first, instrument second' approach. It teaches music as the priority, so you can transfer reading music to almost any instrument, once you know where the notes on that instruments are.

A friend of mine is learning that way and two years later is playing Happy Birthday, and not much else. Not my preferred way of doing it.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:41 pm »
Another question : why is it suggested to buy a set of picks instead of just one ?

Because just like socks, picks tend to dissapear!

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2015, 11:53:48 pm »
Because just like socks, picks tend to dissapear!

\m/ rock on \m/
end Jesper
Very true Joerfe!
However I suspect the bigger reason is so you get a selection of picks to try, and when Justin says pack, he means a selection pack, not a pack of identical picks!

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:11 pm »
When you guys are learning songs do you learn one at a time or three or four and keep going over them until learnt. I'm sort of doing about four at the moment and as one gets really good I leave that one and move onto another new one. Any thoughts?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
I work on 3 or 4 song, Riffs, Scales what ever I'm rusty at all in the same practice period.
It all depends on how you learn every one is different. Some like to do one thing at a time I personally
like to mix it up.

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2015, 10:43:37 pm »
Hey Stitch,
Pretty much how I go about things. Do you try to get the vocals down straight aways as well. I find that bit hard, especially if I don't really know the song. I get there in the end but sometimes it's a bit of a rough ride. It doesn't help when my wife hears me and thinks I'm playing a completely different song. I'm hoping thats down to her being tone deaf and not me being totally crap at playing. LOL

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »
Personally I do very little singing. My wife or one of the people I jam with do all the singing.

After 40 years of playing I can probably only sing a dozen song all the way through. So I'm not
much help there.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2015, 11:31:31 pm »
Blue

Focus on the playing for now. Going through the BC I was probably working on 3 or 4 songs at a time and they were normally a couple of stages below where I was learning at a technical level. I tended to focus on getting 2 tracks played to a 'good' standard, whilst getting my head around the other two. Then those latter tracks became the ones to focus on, while I added another couple of BC songs to the repertoire.

Right now during consolidation I'm generally focusing on just two songs and trying to get them 'right'. And that's just playing. If I started singing alongside it'd all got to rats wottist and the whole package will end up down the pan. I'll worry about vocals when I'm playing Everything with confidence but many of my colleagues out there, up and around and above my level manage both - and I hate the muthas ;D (And you know who you are and know I don't mean that) One day I'll sort my vocals out (lots of training at the moment) then I'll give it a go. 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2015, 01:30:58 pm »
Thanks for that Toby, I am probably doing something very similar to you. I am on the last two stages of the BC plus the bonus section to do. I am picking songs from different stages, mostly ones I like and am slowly getting there. As I said the singing is not great but when you do a verse and get it right It's a great feeling. How long do you practice your songs for. I do about fifteen minutes on each and then do some scale stuff or blues shuffle. It;s surprising how the time goes, I tell my wife I'll be gone for forty minutes and return an hour and a half later. Even then I don't feel I have done much. I have been keeping a daily log since day one and am now up to month nine. When I look back it's amazing how far I've come. Slow but sure. I think I now spend more time with Justin than I do with the wife LOL.
Good luck with your progress.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2015, 02:56:05 pm »
Blue

Sounds a familiar story. Going through the BC I was aiming for an hour each evening, breaking the different skill set down to 10 minute chunk. I'd spend about 20 minutes on songs so frequently over ran !! Now I'm spending 20 minutes on the last few things that are nagging me during Consolidation  and the 40 minutes on the two songs I'm working on, twenty mins each.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2015, 09:06:34 am »
Hi Guys,
Just been looking through a few of Justin's videos, in some of them he says about using the thumb to play the bass note. He says it took him years to be able to do this, is there any practice regimes to help get this technique or is it something that just happens. I can just about play one or two chords this way but wouldn't be able to do it whilst playing a song. I have to really throttle the neck to be able to play chord and bass note. Any thoughts.

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2015, 11:18:51 am »
I'd say practice, practice and some more practice. I have not come across any guitar technique yet that can't be mastered with anything but practice. Whether it be chord changes, bar chords, harmonics, scales or whatever.  :D
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
Add the chords you can play with your thumb to your one minute changes
Try D/F# - C 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App