Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155464 times)

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2015, 09:23:52 pm »
Keeping time with a metronome is just about practise.
I found starting about 60bpm, so I was forcing myself to play slow and listen for the beat worked well. Also foot tapping was a major help. Before I even think about striking a note, I get the foot going in time with the beat.

Once I had the whole thing sorted at 60bpm, I gradually sped up by 10bpm at a time, doing at least a couple minutes at different tempos every practice session helped. I'm still not perfect at it, but I'm far better than I've ever been.

Offline Cataract

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2015, 10:27:02 pm »
I think that you shouldn't increase 10bpm at a time! 2-5bmp should be better! You will be forced to exercise more, be more focused and the change of the tempo won't be so drastically.

Offline Danzai!

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
Hi guys. Total newbie here (never played a note in my life).

Really keen to learn though, and definitely think this is the route for me - Justin's teaching style seems to make everything so much easier and more fun. I am a bit confused though, and apologise if this has been covered elsewhere (I have looked, but couldn't find it).

Justin recommends the Yamaha Pacifica range of guitars, and I think I've settled on the 112V. Thing is though, it has what I believe everyone refers to as a 'floating tremolo'. I can't find one without. Have I misunderstood the jargon, or is there a different arrangement I should be looking for? Or, do I just buy this one and get my local shop to lock the tremolo down for me while I'm learning the basics?

Thanks for your help guys.

Dan

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2015, 08:47:40 pm »
Just have the shop put in the rest of the springs or torque down the screws a bit to deck the bridge, pull it solid to the body.  Keep the trem arm in the case.

You can undo it later. All but two real strats I have actually seen and played outside of a shop have been that way.  And in one case the dude had two, one decked and one not.  Wish I had his kinda money.

I'm not sure the Yamaha strat copies are offered in a hard tail.  I think not.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2015, 11:00:40 pm »
Simple option is to just wind off the tremolo arm and put it aside until your ready to use it. That's what I did after reading Justin's comment but given Scott's comments could I be doing some harm by not locking down? Donno but my journeyman squirer works well enough for me 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2015, 11:22:05 pm »
As others have said, you can get the bridge locked down, however the main disadvantage to not getting it locked down is it makes tuning a bit harder.
I've never locked the bridge down on my Strat, and it's never given me any problems.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2015, 11:28:49 pm »
No harm, but depending on how stiff the springs doings bends can lift the bridge and make it hard to do in tune unison bending or anytime you bend one string while playing others.  If there isn't enough tension to hold the bridge to the body, when you bend a string up the rest of the strings will go somewhat flat.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Danzai!

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2015, 10:18:40 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.

This is all what I was hoping you'd say, which makes my decision a lot easier.

Cheers,

Dan

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2015, 07:03:24 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have an annoying problem I hope you can help me with. On my Squire Strat when doing chord changes I am finding that my G string rings out loud and long between changes. This is when the chord had an open G. I'm not sure if I'm doing something stupid or of it's the guitar or if this just happens. I find it really annoying . Can anyone shed any light on this.

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2015, 08:21:13 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have an annoying problem I hope you can help me with. On my Squire Strat when doing chord changes I am finding that my G string rings out loud and long between changes. This is when the chord had an open G. I'm not sure if I'm doing something stupid or of it's the guitar or if this just happens. I find it really annoying . Can anyone shed any light on this.
The only thing I can suggest is to make your chord changes faster, then it won't be so noticeable.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2015, 12:05:47 am »
Hi Guys,

Completely normal for beginners. Get faster and smoother with changes and it won't happen

Offline Musiclover

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2015, 12:11:54 pm »
I have had my guitar for a while but only just got motivated to learn. So I brought an electronic guitar tuner to try and tune my guitar but every time I hear someone play their guitar mine still sounds out of tune. Where could I get a good guitar tuner?

Offline Asem

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:43 pm »
Hello Musiclover,

It could be the strings are a bit old and sound dull, so consider changing them maybe.
For a guitar tuner you can use guitartuna phone app, really cool app it's very accurate. I hope that helps.:)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2015, 12:34:48 am »
Are you sure it's the guitar? :)

I know when i first started, I thought my guitar sounded wrong a lot, but it turns out it was just me. Whenever someone else played it, it always seemed to magically sound better.  :o

Offline Dosce

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2015, 10:40:01 am »
Hello !

I am just wondering one thing before starting these lessons.

A few years ago, I had guitar lessons, and my theacher was learning me to play the guitar string by string, I was just playing notes, I didn't even know the existence of the chords. Though, you seem to only use chords.

Where does this difference come from ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:03:50 am by Dosce »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App