Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155541 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2014, 09:15:24 pm »
With the issues you describe playing a melody I suspect what you are hearing is the ringing on the strings you aren't playing.  Eventually this will be addressed in the sequence of lessons.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline dabas

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »
Play some air guitar with your son. Just spontaneously start jammin' air guitar and see with way he
plays without thinking.

Great idea thanks, I did that today and he played air guitar right handed.I then said to him try it left handed which he did, then said he preferred to do it right handed.So hopefully he will be ok playing a right handed guitar.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2014, 12:09:34 am »
Great idea thanks, I did that today and he played air guitar right handed.I then said to him try it left handed which he did, then said he preferred to do it right handed.So hopefully he will be ok playing a right handed guitar.

I think the air guitar is a valid test. IMO, the strumming hand is far more important. If that feels awkward (and it does for some either way round…) it will make learning hard work.

Given all RH players learnt to fret with their left, suggests to me it's the far easier skill to learn with the 'wrong hand'.

Offline monte258

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2015, 04:56:11 pm »
This is helpful, thanks. Although I've been at this for about 8 months and have purchased the beginner DVD set, I'm new to this forum. I'm at stage 3 but only as far as playing the chords go. I can't change quickly and I can't change very well without looking, even though I'm specifically trying to practice that. I really need some guidance on the best way to incorporate 'not looking' with using the One Minute Changes app. One of the ways I've been trying to learn is to just pick up the guitar and try to find a chord then strum to see if I have it. Most times I don't. There's got to be a better way. Thanks to anybody that can help me with this.

Offline Buckeye1971

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »
monte258,
hello and welcome to the forum.
Do not worry about playing chords without looking. Just keep doing your one minute changes and following Justin's course. Eventually, when you become comfortable you will just start playing the chords without looking and without thinking about it. I think you are actually holding yourself back by trying to play the chords without looking.
Hope this helps.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:02 am »
As above.
My advice is keeping looking. The skill of not looking comes naturally when your fingers take over from your eyes. It's more important to be able to consistently form the chords first. Not looking adds unnecessary complexity.

Offline blueguern

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 08:45:07 pm »
Hey Monte,
I agree with Buckeye and Drubbing. I wondered when I should stop looking at the chords and just playing right. I couldn't get fingers in place without looking so decided not to worry about it, hoping that it would happen when the time was right. I've been on the course for seven months and just about now I'm doing some stuff without looking. The funny thing is, if I think about doing chords without looking it goes wrong. When I don't think about it and just let it happen ...... It happens. I don't know how it works, perhaps its just because you are relaxed about it and not stressing.
The one thing that I have found about this course is that things will happen when you have put in the practice. I keep a daily journal plotting my progress or lack of. When you look back things you thought impossible once upon a time are now possible and its all down to practice.
Anyway good luck with your progress, hey what do you know, I'm not looking at he keys while typing this, I wonder why. LOL

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »
@monte I agree with the others dont worry about looking, particularly when you're practicing 1 min changes. I've been at it 14 months, still practice 1 min changes and still look at the fret board. Remember 1 min changes form part of your PRACTICE i.e. to get better at playing guitar, rather than your PLAYING of the guitar. Even though I'm comfortable playing songs now I still look at the fretboard when it feels natural too.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Funz

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
Hi,

Firstly thanks to Justin for this site, it has been fantastic so far and the approach to learning has been great.

I have started to get the first 3 chords down and the chord changes are going well but one thing I am struggling with is the timing of the chord change.

I am not sure if I will explain it right but here goes. I am struggling to understand when to move my fingers to the next chord. Do I finish the fourth strum and move my fingers straight away do I have to place back on the fretboard right as I start the next bar? Does moving my fingers too early impact the the current chord?

Any tips on this would be good.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2015, 11:29:35 am »
Keeping the neck still
Make sure that your fretting hand is not supporting the guitar neck at all and that the neck is stable when you are playing. The last thing you want is the neck wobbling about when you are trying to practise getting your fingers in the right position.

The neck is wobbling actually a litle bit when I play especially when I play california dreaming. When I move from G to F I often miss the 3ed string on the 2nd fret. Could that be the reason. I don't have that problem with the other chords though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:23:36 pm by Rolandson »

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »
I am not sure if I will explain it right but here goes. I am struggling to understand when to move my fingers to the next chord. Do I finish the fourth strum and move my fingers straight away do I have to place back on the fretboard right as I start the next bar? Does moving my fingers too early impact the the current chord?

I assume you are doing 4 down strums per bar like Justin teaches in the beginning. If that is the case, you switch fingers after the fourth strum but before the first strum of the new bar. At this stage your are strumming on the downbeat (1,2,3,4) and not on the upbeats (all the &'s)

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
                      ^
                switch here

You will eventually need to be fast enough to be able to switch between the & of beat 4 and beat 1 of the new bar. You will get there though, one minute changes are great for building up speed/muscle memory.

If you switch too early on a chord you will hear the difference. If you take them off while strumming it won't sound good or right.

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
Actually,

It's quite common to play the open strings on the & after the 4th beat.

Once the pace (tempo of songs) picks up, you'll notice that you won't have enough time to go from one chord to the other. What happens is that you play the open strings between the chord change.

If you listen carefully, you'll hear it in lots of songs.

I think Justin speaks about it in one of his video's, can't remember where...

Edit: Found it => http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-146-RhythmBasics2.php

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2015, 07:32:56 pm »
Actually,

It's quite common to play the open strings on the & after the 4th beat.

Yes it is and I almost mentioned that in my post but held off because I think it's debatable (though I don't want to debate it) whether or not this is good habit to develop.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2015, 07:51:01 pm »
If you are playing in 4/4 time with all down beats(1/4 note strumming) there is no & after the 4th beat.
It is acceptable to play the 4th beat open if you can't make the chord changes quick enough.
Don't let it become bad habit though keep working on your one minute changes

If you are playing in 4/4 time with 1/8 note strumming then It is quite common to play the open strings on the & after the 4th beat.

Offline daveband

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2015, 08:45:25 pm »
Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a newbie. Have a few chords down pat, following justins guide, but the one thing I struggle on is strumming to a metronome.  What's helped is to sing along, seriously. I got the intro to 'wish you were here' by Floyd, and singing along stops my tendency to strum too fast.

So, so you wish you tell
Heaven from Hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green fleld
From a cold steel rain,
A smile from a veil,
So you think you can tell?

Strum along and sing.  Works for me :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App