Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155681 times)

Offline Joleene24

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2014, 08:57:35 pm »
Hello,
I am very new to guitar playing but very motivated :). I enjoy the online beginner course!  I started practicing 3 days ago and love it. I do not use a pick at this time but I plan on doing so as soon as it comes in the mail.

So far, I have learned the A, E & D cord and was shown the C cord by a family friend.  I can play a simple tune like 'Mary had a little lamb' by picking individual strings and was also shown individual notes on the guitar.  My problem is that I actually have to look at the fret board and the strings when I play the chords. Do I need to focus on trying to look away and "feel" for the correct position? My one minutes changes are up to 20 or 10 cycles; but I am actually looking at the strings and the fret board.  Otherwise, I would obviously be slower :).  So my question is:

1. Do I need to focus on not looking at the fret board / strings when I learn cords or does that come naturally with time?

2. When I play a simple song like 'Mary had a little lamb' I can play it fairly quickly but it sounds like there is feedback from the guitar. It is rather strange.  Even when I play it slowly, on notes that are repetitive, it sounds like the strings are forcefully stopped and then the tune rings again.  It's hard to explain but sounds awful. I would love to fix it, so the song sounds clear.  The same also happens when I play individual notes on the guitar. It is like the tune cannot finish ringing out and gets stopped. Whenever i play a string and then for the next note press the string against the fretboard for another note, it sounds awkward.

Btw, I am playing my daughter's smaller 3/4 guitar with nylon strings. I will gift myself a guitar for Christmas, once I know what I should be buying.

Anyways, thank you in advance!
Joleene

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40:37 pm »
Don't worry about looking at the fretboard yet. Watching your hands to make sure you are doing it right will greatly accelerate the formation of correct muscle memory.

Regarding your second problem, post a recording of yourself so people can hear what you are hearing. It's probably just normal string noise for a beginner; a beginner makes a lot of unwanted noise and unwanted muthing because they have not developed the dexterity to let the right notes ring at the right times and damp the other strings out.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »
What Borodog said...

Not having to look at the fretboard will come with time. Better to get it right. It sounds like your question comes out of fear that you might develop a bad habit that you will need to break later. It won't be.

For problem 2) you'll need to have posted at least 5 times before getting permission to put up a link to a recording.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2014, 07:47:16 am »
Hi Joleene, to add to what  the others have said - make sure your guitar is in tune each time you pick it up and your fingers are as close to the frets (but not on them) as you can get. Also playing chords on a guitar with nylon strings won't sound too great anyway, when you save up for your own guitar get a Western steel strung guitar (unless you want to just play classical guitar).
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2014, 12:18:46 pm »
The way you describe your problem makes me guess the action of your guitar is too low. (action = how high or low the strings are from the fretboard)

It seems like fretbuzz? A rattling sound from the strings rattling against a fret? This happens when you hit the strings a bit too hard and after a while it stops and it rings out clean.

Could be action or perhaps there some frets that need some work? Perhaps you can take your guitar to a luthier to get it setup properly? What guitar do you have? I have an Epiphone Les Paul, and they tend to have this problem (like mine ;) )

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline Joleene24

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:23 pm »
Good morning everybody!

Thank you so much for all the responses.  I am very relieved that I am not already adopting bad habits by looking at the fretboard.  Good to know it is normal at this stage :).

As for my second question; I feel that it is probably likely that it is a beginner's problem & "fretbuzz" but I also am inclined to get the guitar checked out. Even if it is just to make sure everything is set up right. We bought the guitar at a second hand store but it seems to be a Valencia 3/4 classical guitar.

I also like the suggestion of getting a Western steel strung guitar. I will look into that.

Thank you again,
Joleene

Offline dabas

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2014, 03:40:51 pm »
Hi ,

Now that I have just started the beginners course my 14 year old son has noticed and would like to practice also.We started today with the D cord, I watched the video and practiced while my son looked on and then he did the same . I hope this is a good idea or should we practice separately ? ,it seemed good to me as I noticed things he was doing wrong and corrected him, the beginner expert that I am  ::) .

The main concern I have is that I am right handed and my son is left handed,but I don't want to spend out on another guitar just in case he decides to give up after a while. Is it a good idea for him being left handed to play on a right handed guitar, should he flip the guitar upside down so that he can play it left handed  or should he just try and play as a right handed person ?

Thanks,

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »
Hi dabas,

Nobody can make this choice of left/right handed for him but him really. What I can tell you, being left-handed myself, is that I learned to play right-handed and it has been zero issue for me. Most lefties are somewhat ambidextrous since we have to function in a right-handed world. Still this is about comfort for him. I personally would try him on the right handed guitar first. If he finds it too awkward, take him to the guitar shop and see if a left handed guitar is a lot more comfortable. If it doesn't make a difference I would stick with the right-handed guitar because if there is a guitar lying out while out with friends, on a campout, etc. and he wants to play for fun, it's likely going to be right handed. Again, just my opinion as a lefty :)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2014, 04:46:35 pm »
I'm a lefty forced to play right.  I do OK.  played lead guitar in a working band for a few years.  always got rehired or got gigs we had to addition for.  but I am no rockstar.

first time I picked up a guitar I picked it up and held it left handed.  I've always wondered if I would have been better playing lefthanded. 

how did your son hold the guitar the first time he picked it up? 

shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline dabas

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »
Thanks Deadeye,

Shadow, it was only when I finished watching the D cord video and after my practice .I was about to hand over the guitar to him and realised that of course (bit strange, all three of our children are left handed but my wife and I are right handed) he is left handed.So I just told him to hold it the way I was holding it.

In hindsight I should have just kept quiet and watched what he did with the guitar.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »
Play some air guitar with your son. Just spontaneously start jammin' air guitar and see with way he
plays without thinking. 

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2014, 11:15:08 pm »
Play some air guitar with your son. Just spontaneously start jammin' air guitar and see with way he
plays without thinking. 

This.
If left feels natural, especially for good, rhythmic strumming, he'll struggle to learn Right. Maybe he can do it. I couldn't.

If it doesn't feel as good as left, it will always be hard work. that ids probably more likely to see him give up, them investing in a guitar that suits.

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2014, 10:35:57 am »
On the other hand as a lefty playing right hand guitar (when i started out playing the bass the left hand models were more expensive and less available) I find that my left hand dexterity helps me in forming the chords more easily but perhaps I'm just used to playing right hand guitar by now.  Last time i tried a left-hand guitar in the shop it felt completely wrong.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2014, 10:46:32 am »
But strangely enough I feels more natural to play air guitar left handed  ;D Then again it's been a while since I played air guitar; the acoustic and the electric take up all my time.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »
Hello,
I am very new to guitar playing but very motivated :). I enjoy the online beginner course!  I started practicing 3 days ago and love it. I do not use a pick at this time but I plan on doing so as soon as it comes in the mail.

So far, I have learned the A, E & D cord and was shown the C cord by a family friend.  I can play a simple tune like 'Mary had a little lamb' by picking individual strings and was also shown individual notes on the guitar.  My problem is that I actually have to look at the fret board and the strings when I play the chords. Do I need to focus on trying to look away and "feel" for the correct position? My one minutes changes are up to 20 or 10 cycles; but I am actually looking at the strings and the fret board.  Otherwise, I would obviously be slower :).  So my question is:

1. Do I need to focus on not looking at the fret board / strings when I learn cords or does that come naturally with time?

2. When I play a simple song like 'Mary had a little lamb' I can play it fairly quickly but it sounds like there is feedback from the guitar. It is rather strange.  Even when I play it slowly, on notes that are repetitive, it sounds like the strings are forcefully stopped and then the tune rings again.  It's hard to explain but sounds awful. I would love to fix it, so the song sounds clear.  The same also happens when I play individual notes on the guitar. It is like the tune cannot finish ringing out and gets stopped. Whenever i play a string and then for the next note press the string against the fretboard for another note, it sounds awkward.

Btw, I am playing my daughter's smaller 3/4 guitar with nylon strings. I will gift myself a guitar for Christmas, once I know what I should be buying.

Anyways, thank you in advance!
Joleene

I'm new here and haven't earned the right to give suggestions maybe, but do not worry about looking at the fret board.  Try to make each chord as accurately as possible.  Personally I wouldn't be trying to learn things like Mary Had a Little Lamb, focus on learning chord sets, and then learn a song you can strum to for each set of new chords you learn, but keep it simple and don't try to learn too many too fast.  Follow Justin's beginner instructions and you will be fine.  You will know when it's time to move on.  That's how people get bored with a guitar or give up, they don't keep it simple.
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Get The Forum As A Mobile App