Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155495 times)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:53 am »
Everyone has a different pace. Nothing wrong at all with where you are after 15 months.

As far as songs go, some will be harder than others. I think it's fine to work on a few songs at a time; especially if they are the simplified versions. Definitely get them playable all the way through.

Pick one you like though, and really work on it. You'll learn a lot. Once you get past the mechanics of the chords, you can start to put finesse into it. I noticed all of my songs improve once I really started focusing on one, and started refining the techniques in it.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2014, 10:44:06 am »
I will learn one song and when I can play it I go to next. Maybe I learn one song in a few weeks when I am focusing on just one song and than go to the next song.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2014, 02:04:39 pm »
There is nothing wrong with your pace. I've been playing for two years and just now started consolidating the Beginners Course. Compared to others it may seem slow but I can "perform" (play and sing) about a dozen songs from beginning to end. Bradt is right, focusing on a song or two at a time really does make you better. There is a big difference between hitting 60 changes per minute on a F chord versus having to hit the chord while strumming in time and have it ring out clearly.

For me the singing and playing at the same time is really the hard part. It takes a lot of practice on a single song in particular, I find I have to "re-learn" playing and singing at the same time whenever I use a new strumming pattern.

Keep going!

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:54 am »
It seems to that I jst can't go to the next level. I'm at stage 6 for 6 month. I started for 2 weeks with stage 7 but the F chordis so difficult. I can't change it fast enough.
I think I'm pretty slow to learn songs.

How long does it take for all you to learn a song when you practice a song 5 days a week?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2014, 11:37:36 am »
How long is a piece of string?

Learn easier songs.

The F chord takes a long time. It took me 6 months before I got ok with it.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2014, 12:06:51 pm »
doesn't matter how difficult the song is. I just want to know that. Lets say a biginner is practicing a song for beginner.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »
It's a question with no answer. It takes you as long is it takes. What help is it to know it takes anyone else less time. You're learning the song.

If songs you're learning are too difficult, leaner simpler ones. For whatever BC stage I was at, I was learning songs 2 or 3 stages back from there.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:38:20 pm by Drubbing »

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »
thanks that was very helpful. I also got lazy on my one mintue changes since I can change all chords from stage 1 - 6 Over 60 times. I better start again with them.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 12:40:05 pm »
Better to pick songs to play from early stages and use the chords that way. Not much point in hitting numbers for 1 minutes changes, if songs are what you're struggling with. imo

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 01:00:22 pm »
thanks. One last question. Do you know I can download a list with chords for the one minute changes on it.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:50 pm »
You just pick two chords of your choice. There is no list.

You want a couple that will keep you busy a while?

The two best chords are always the two you can't play.

You should make a notebook with your own chords. Draw them out. Label the notes, frets, etc. and name it. Then change between any two.

EX. ( use guitar neck diagram for this )

Em7#9
--|-X------------------X-|
--|--------5---------------|
--|------------------------|
--|----7------7-----------|  <<< 7th fret
--|-----------------8-----|
____1_b3_b7_#9
Gone

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »
For the F chord ... loads of advice in the forum already ... play it using the exact same fingering but further up the neck.
If you barre at fret 5 that is an A chord.
It is easier further up.
Practice it there.
Then gradually move down one fret at a time.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:48 pm »
It seems to that I jst can't go to the next level. I'm at stage 6 for 6 month. I started for 2 weeks with stage 7 but the F chordis so difficult. I can't change it fast enough.
I think I'm pretty slow to learn songs.

How long does it take for all you to learn a song when you practice a song 5 days a week?

Have you ever listened to, watched, read anything about fitness and diet programs.

Almost all of them based on modern thinking, not all, as I know some very serious trainers that have reduced things to a certain core set, but that is done under supervision.  But for the most part, all modern techniques involve "confusion".

I personally believe this is a valid approach. I believe if you try something more difficult and decidedly different from the F Chord, you will introduce confusion into your muscle memory. In addition you will eliminate the negative mental dialog.

Right now you have reached a point with the F chord to where you negative dialog... "I can't" "I can't" so your brain is saying "I can't" and your muscles are falling right in line and "not doing"... they go to where they go and that's it.

I would suggest you learn some chord that is so totally different from the F that your brain and muscles forget the F chord roadblock.

Then after some success with a new chord or two, go back to the F Chord and see how it feels.

My theory is not well tested but I do know I have had success with breaks in between of learning new chords.

Like spend several hours, then next day same, then maybe next day.... after that I might not play it for a week... but after that week rest, I play it better than I did. Then I push it more to make it better... then a rest again, maybe even two weeks. Before long it just works pretty much as you want it to with a -lot- less effort and from then it just seems to get better naturally... like your mind and body simply accept it as something they need for survival.

Can't hurt to try it.

Gone

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »
My (very short) experience has been just like TB describes.  I'm not at Stage 6 yet, but I remember when I was first introduced to the D chord.  I spent a couple of days with an internal dialogue of "I can't do this" until I became worried I was psyching myself out.  So I began a new internal dialogue of "I love the D chord".  Practiced and moved on to the next stage.  By the time I hit the C chord, the D chord was a piece of cake.

Also as previously mentioned, I play songs from a stage or two behind the stage I'm currently learning chords on.  This helps to solidify and refine what I learned previously.  It's still amazing how previous chords become so much easier once I'm learning new ones.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:35 pm »
The brain is a funny thing isn't it? It's easy to psych yourself out. It's also easy to burn yourself out with working on one thing for too long.

Move on to something new like TB said, but practice the strum pick strum exercise with the F chord for just two minutes a couple of times a day. Basically pick two chords and alternate between them with Strum Pick Strum. The key is to do it as slowly as you need to. Precision is the key here, not speed. After doing this a couple times a day for a few days you should notice a nice improvement when you do your regular one minute changes again.

The way our brains work, is that we retain things better when we leave and come back. When we practice one thing for long periods, not only does our focus drift, but we don't get the benefit of our brains reprocessing the information. If we practice in short sessions, when we come back our brain says "Hey, I remember this. I did this before", and a little mental marker is made that whatever it is may be worth remembering. After doing this several times, our brain is convinced that the information must be pretty important, and we remember it better. Practicing something as correctly as possible for a couple of minutes at a time a few times a day takes advantage of this.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App