Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 160406 times)

Offline Gazanimal

• Good Vibes 1
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:09 pm »
Just started the course and trying to fit time in to practice as I'm going away on holiday soon, so will be out of practice time for a while. Also, the Beginner Songbook landed through my door today and I can't wait to get going on it, along with the course.

The main problem I have, and I'm sure thousands, if not millions of learner players is the dreaded finger catching another string.

I feel like I must have the chubbiest finger ends known to man and it's infuriating at times. So does it really get better over time as I feel I have to be so precise on finger placement to avoid catching the next string.

(not sure if my very cheap Chinese made Strat look-a-like has a very high action which isn't helping either)

:-\

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:46 am »
Don't worry. Everyone has fingers that are too fat, short, skinny, long, crooked, or just plain useless when they start. Strangely enough they seem to fit just fine after some practice.

That's not to say that your unique hands won't present unique problems. They most likely will, but having difficulty getting used to the guitar with a "hindering hand" is a pretty universal hurdle. Just stick with it, and you'll get it.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2013, 01:34:03 pm »
Yeah, what @Bradt said and my two cents...

If you have a few bucks, take the guitar to the shop for a setup.  I bought a cheap Stat copy when I started and the setup was really bad.  I tried to do it and screwed it up.  If you have it done you'll have the benefit of knowing that the action is set right.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:07:18 pm by sophiehiker »
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Gazanimal

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:34 pm »
Thanks guys. I bet it's one of the most disheartening things for beginners as it seems like you have to be so precise :D

I've managed to get a cheap Yamaha Pacifica to replace the chinese copy so will see if that helps at all and will do the British think of Keep Calm & Carry On Strumming!

Offline Mistermann

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 09:07:17 pm »
The "fat fingers" excuse was something I used all the time.  My instructor kept saying to practice and things would "just work".  He was right, of course.  Keep at it and you'll be rocking in no time, Gaz!
mm

Offline oreilly10

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 05:33:33 pm »
I have a question:

I may possibly be interested in playing/learning Bass guitar at some point, but already own guitars and feel more motivated to play guitar at the time along with these lessons and a few other things I have picked up to get started. 

Do the things I learn here translate well to playing the Bass?  I realize it is a completely different instrument with a different role in music-making... but say I play guitar for a year or so running through all the information here and other sources, and I picked up a Bass Guitar.  Would I be back in Kindergarten and need to progress as methodically?  I understand there will be a period of learning "picking" and 4 strings, etc, but once I got the "basics" down, would I be able to run through grades 1 - 8 much quicker with a solid base (pun intended) of Guitar knowledge?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 05:50:30 pm »
Music theory is the same for all instruments.
As for playing Guitar and bass the biggest differences is technique. All the note on a bass and guitar are
the same. So you want need to relearn the fret board. The knowledge you learn on guitar you can
translate almost any instrument. 

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 11:56:35 pm »
@oreilly10
If you need a book recommendation about a fret board theory, send me a PM.
Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2014, 12:22:55 am »
I may possibly be interested in playing/learning Bass guitar at some point
Do the things I learn here translate well to playing the Bass? 

...would I be able to run through grades 1 - 8 much quicker with a solid base (pun intended) of Guitar knowledge?

Yes, IMHO, very much so.

Stitch is right in what he says about theory being common to all instruments, but I really recommend Justin's Practical Music Theory book, because he relates it to the fretboard (guitar or bass doesn't matter). I nearly didn't buy it, because I thought that 'theory is theory' and I had *some* knowledge, but I'm so glad I did - Provided you can pluck the strings, it would make you the best bass player on the block (#).

(#) Skill may be required...

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:54 am »
@oreilly10
If you need a book recommendation about a fret board theory, check out the reviews on my Practical Music Theory ebook - it works and is dead easy! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline matheusguifer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 07:24:55 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm hearing impaired. Can I still learn how to play the guitar? Do you think it's possible that I get good results?

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm hearing impaired. Can I still learn how to play the guitar? Do you think it's possible that I get good results?

Of course. It might be harder for you, but if you stick at you'll get there.

Django Rheinhardt amazing jazz guitarist from the 1930's. He badly burnt his hand and only used two fingers.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:59 pm »
Hey guys,

As long as you can hear at all you can do something. Your exact results may depend on the severity of the impairment though.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 06:20:01 am »
Evelyn Glennie cannot hear. She is also a world-class tympanist. Here is what she has to to say about it : http://www.ted.com/talks/evelyn_glennie_shows_how_to_listen (There's a transcript provided from that page).

Offline slim69

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 07:59:39 pm »
I have short fat fingers, can I still learn to play the guitar and if yes what is the best style?

Many thanks in advance

Mark 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App