Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 161845 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »
Yes you can and any style you like.  8)

People with every type of fingers, (short, fat, crooked, long, missing etc.) can learn to play.

Offline GrayCyther

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:56 am »
I have a Gibson maestro acoustic i just acquired but my problem is that my left hand is really weak and I cant turn it the way you would correctly use your strumming hand... I can't completely turn it over to lets say accept change the way a normal person would... I was thinking about string it backwards like Hendrix... thats where my second problem is my hand isnt strong enough to bend over far enough to pluck the cords with dropping the pick..... and sugesttions would help a great deal Thx

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
You can't just turn a guitar upside down and restring it for left playing. The nut will have to be recut to fit
the strings and the saddle will be at the wrong angle.
If your guitar was an electric the saddle should be adjustable but it's an acoustic and the bridge will have to
be filled and recut for a left handed saddle. Unless the saddle is straight 90 deg to the strings. Then all
you need to do is have the nut recut.

I looked up your guitar and for the $99 price you're better of buying a left handed guitar. It will cost more
the have the bridge filled and recut.

As for a pick you don't have to use one or you could try a thumb pick.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
I have a Gibson maestro acoustic i just acquired but my problem is that my left hand is really weak and I cant turn it the way you would correctly use your strumming hand... I can't completely turn it over to lets say accept change the way a normal person would... I was thinking about string it backwards like Hendrix... thats where my second problem is my hand isnt strong enough to bend over far enough to pluck the cords with dropping the pick..... and sugesttions would help a great deal Thx

I have no idea what is going on here.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Broke727

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2014, 12:41:26 am »
Hello i'm new and having trouble with changing chords and strumming.Without strumming i can change chords just fine for the progress i'm at.But when i go to strum the chords to play a song my chord hand kinda locks up and i can't change chords near as fast.Is there anything I can do to help out?

Thanks For any Advise

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2014, 02:20:54 am »
Slow down, keep practicing your chord changes, and keep at it.

When you practice your chord changes - strum each chord as though it were in a song. Back and forth, back and forth. Eventually it will 'click' and you'll be able to move your hand to the chord. 

If you're practicing playing something, be sure to keep your hand moving to a steady beat: 4 downstrums or even 2 downstrums a bar. Even if you completely flub the chord, keep that hand going, your left hand will catch up.

Getting the left and right hands working together is not easy.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline gramps

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2014, 10:35:37 pm »
Calluses

I have been learning to play for about 3 months now. After about 30 minutes my fingers hurt to the point it's painful. I normally stop at this point.

My guestion  is should I be able to feel the calluses as dry dead skin that actually raises on the edges which in turn catches on the strings. I have calluses on my hands at the base of my fingers and they are not like this.

So am I doing something wrong or am I just in some stage. I can sand the calluses down using an emery board but the return.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 12:02:24 am »
My guess would be, like everyone at first, you are pressing the strings much harder than you need to. Fret a chord but just rest yor fingers on the strings. Begin to slowly apply more pressure while strumming just until the notes ring out cleanly. Somewhere around there is all the pressure you really need.

If your fingers get sore after 30 minutes, split your practice up into two fifteen minute sessions with a small break. You could also try staggering your practice routine so that you alternate between practicing fretting and strumming. This will give you some rest for your fingers.

As for the callouses, sounds normal. I had the same at first until my fingertips toughrned up. Now they're more like tough pads. They'll still get all chunky and flaky though if I practice for unusually long periods for a few days.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2014, 12:06:10 am »
I sand mine until they're smooth about once a week or as needed..
Of your fingers are hurting when you have that thick of callus you are pressing way to hard.
You only need to press hard enough for the notes to ring out. On a well set up acoustic guitar this
is very little pressure and on an electric even less.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:30 am »
Calluses

I have been learning to play for about 3 months now. After about 30 minutes my fingers hurt to the point it's painful. I normally stop at this point.

My guestion  is should I be able to feel the calluses as dry dead skin that actually raises on the edges which in turn catches on the strings. I have calluses on my hands at the base of my fingers and they are not like this.

So am I doing something wrong or am I just in some stage. I can sand the calluses down using an emery board but the return.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

You're just in some stage ;)

A lot of people go through two sets of calluses:

First, your fingers hurt, but you press through it and you grow calluses. Then those rise up like your seeing, and will get ripped off your fingertips at some point by the guitar strings (especially if bending notes).

After that, you have raw, pink skin underneath. Now your fingers REALLY hurt when you play. But you press through it, and this time you get a set of 'permanent' calluses for your trouble.

At least, that's the way it's always worked for me when I started and the times I put it down for a while and came back.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2014, 04:30:25 am »
I still get my calluses intermittently torn up.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2014, 04:19:23 pm »
Yeah, my calluses "shed" for lack of a better word.  The outermost layer of my callouses peel, but there is still more callous underneath...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline lsadler

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »

Hi.fist time user. Im doing ok with first lessons with a-d and e chord and feel comfortable with hold the guitar but what Justin says about having your phumb behing neck? Is the phumb ment to be straight or bent.only way I can match it to Justin is when I bend it and that feels strange. Hope you understand what I mean.pics would be great help.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2014, 02:17:30 pm »

Hi.fist time user. Im doing ok with first lessons with a-d and e chord and feel comfortable with hold the guitar but what Justin says about having your phumb behing neck? Is the phumb ment to be straight or bent.only way I can match it to Justin is when I bend it and that feels strange. Hope you understand what I mean.pics would be great help.

Do you mean thumb? This video might help;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWOkUuuF5-Y

Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2014, 10:41:46 am »
So far I am playing guitar 15 month. I am at szage 6 and can play the F bar chord. I can change to the chord without looking slow but it works. My question is if beeing at stage 6 after 15 month good and fast?

I have a question about the songs.
I can play a few but I can't most of the songs from the beginning till the end. Should I learn one song over and over again until I can play it and than go to the next sond and play that song over and over again as well?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App