Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 193611 times)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2020, 06:40:33 pm »
So this is an interesting one for me as I've been playing pretty much 8 years and hadn't really stood up to play at all until last Oct/Nov...in all honesty it was pretty easy and after a few hours just felt as natural as playing sitting down. I guess from my perspective it may have been easier because I'm a bit more of seasoned player so don't need to look at the fret board quite as much (although you'll see in my recent videos I still do standing up).

I can't really think of any tips other than the obvious that you need to have a strap, make sure its firmly attached (strap locks are good) and that the guitar is at a comfortable height.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2020, 07:29:35 pm »
I found it more difficult than Rossco. I think I played sitting down for several years before I tried standing up, so looking at the fretboard wasn't really an issue. Bopping around was, and felt like a workout. Now I can play the whole time standing, so it's something you get used to.

Maybe just work on getting through one song, and sit for the rest. Then try adding a second one as that first one gets easier. I still usually sit for finger picking songs. It just seems more natural.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Derekmr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #437 on: May 13, 2020, 08:24:41 am »
Hello all,
Complete begginer here, guitar coming in a week or two,
Left it late to learn, 53 year old,
Any tips or advice welcome ,
Thanks.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 526
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #438 on: May 13, 2020, 08:41:19 am »
Hi Derek, welcome to the forum.Tip .. follow the beginners course and stick with it.
:)

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2020, 10:51:43 am »
Hello all,
Complete begginer here, guitar coming in a week or two,
Left it late to learn, 53 year old,
Any tips or advice welcome ,
Thanks.

Which guitar have you ordered ?

Offline Derekmr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #440 on: May 13, 2020, 11:24:00 pm »
Which guitar have you ordered ?
Would post pic but cant....
It's a harley benton sc custom in ocean flame.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2020, 08:23:09 am »
Nice Derekmr...My HB Tele was certainly better than I expected.

As Close says follow the beginner course. You'll probably fine you can watch the lessons a lot quicker than you can apply them in the early stages e.g. you might watch the lessons on A chord, C chord, D chord quite quickly but it'll take you a little while to get proficient. Spend the time practicing and getting them "good enough" to move to the next stage.

Don't forget the aim is to learn songs so make sure that onces you've got 2-3 chords under your belt you start trying...it wont necessarily be great, you'll probably be slow and hesitant BUT it'll be a start. I also find it drives me harder to learn a song than just do practice routines. As you progress through the stages you'll probably find yourself learning songs aligned with previous stage whilst you learn new things in the current stage.

There is not set time for completing the beginner course. It depends on any previous experience and the time you have. Typically anything between 6 months and 15 months is not untypical (for the classic beginner course). Try and spend a little time each day practicing, it really helps. You'll find you can only manage short period of time at the start 15 -30 mins so try and squeeze it in.

Justin's website has songs associated with each stage of learning so take a look at those and pick your favourite for the stage you are learning (or have learnt).

There is a big community on this forum. Explore the Audio and Video of You Playing part and see what others have achieved...when you feel ready contribute.

Above all have fun and stick at it.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Derekmr

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2020, 11:50:42 am »
Thanks
Looking forward to getting started  :)1

Offline hobliro

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #443 on: May 16, 2020, 07:06:31 pm »
Hello All,

Dumb question here, but I am at the easy song part on beginner s1 and learning on electric guitar.  Are all of those songs meant to be played on acoustic?  What songs out of the s1 song books should i focus on for electric? 

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #444 on: May 17, 2020, 07:36:08 am »
Hello All,
Dumb question here, but I am at the easy song part on beginner s1 and learning on electric guitar.  Are all of those songs meant to be played on acoustic?  What songs out of the s1 song books should i focus on for electric? 
No it doesn’t matter whether you play electric or acoustic, if electric just keep to a clean tone and just play!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline coolbreeze

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2020, 11:51:25 am »
hello everybody, I'm new and currently on Day 4 of my journey with Justinguitar and in learning Guitar more in general. I have ZERO musical experience and I'm currently getting mad with my transitioning between A chord and D chord. It's amazing how things get better when you put your time in. Every day it feels better and easier. That's promising.

I'm using a Fender CD60-S, I hope it's a good acustic guitar to start with.

Question for those who have been using the Justinguitar app: did it make a big difference in your learning progress? I'm happy to invest in my learning, I just want to invest in the right things.

thanks

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #446 on: July 04, 2020, 02:55:16 pm »
hello everybody, I'm new and currently on Day 4 of my journey with Justinguitar and in learning Guitar more in general. I have ZERO musical experience and I'm currently getting mad with my transitioning between A chord and D chord. It's amazing how things get better when you put your time in. Every day it feels better and easier. That's promising.

I'm using a Fender CD60-S, I hope it's a good acustic guitar to start with.

Question for those who have been using the Justinguitar app: did it make a big difference in your learning progress? I'm happy to invest in my learning, I just want to invest in the right things.

thanks

I have the same guitar as you and too was a complete beginner last September. Whilst there maybe way better guitars I’ve found it more than adequate to start learning on. One thing I did do early on following advice from the folk on this forum was to get it set up properly by a luthier and had thinner strings fitted. Both of these will make it easier to play and kinder on a new players soft finger tips.

I use the classic beginners course books including the songbook but also use the App solely for the vast number of songs available to play along to.

Offline markd85

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2020, 01:32:10 am »
I started with Justin in Dec. and have used the app since about March. I highly recommend it. You will be playing real songs in no time. IMO, the best feature of the app is that you can slow the tempo of the song down to a comfortable, doable speed for you and then increase as your playing gets better. Good luck!
Mark

Offline AngryKitten

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2020, 10:25:27 am »

thanks

I can't really talk about results yet as I'm only on day 4 myself but I have been using the app and I would definitely recommend it just for the sake of enjoyment.  I'm following the routines in the practice assistant, and doing all the one minute changes etc, but hacking my way slowly through an actual song is definitely the bit of the practice I am enjoying the most.  I find it pretty satisfying to play along to real music, even if I do need to slow it right down at this stage  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App