Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 158717 times)

Offline flux1968

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2019, 03:37:43 pm »
When I change from D to A I get a little string buzz from my fingers moving to the next chord.Is this normal to happen in some instances when you are changing chord positions?Thanks for your time and effort. 8)

I've been having the same issue. I've looked around and everything I've seen says this is normal until we get better at changing chords smoothly.

In terms of changing from D to A, what I've noticed is that when I move my fingers, I slightly let up on ring finger on the D string, the anchor finger. I've made an effort to keep that finger down and it's helped a bit. However when changing to another chord without an anchor finger, like D to G, I still get the buzz and that will probably be the case until I transition better.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »
Yes, it's normal. That said, if you haven't already, have a guitar tech check the action and setup on your guitar to make sure it is ideal. If the action is high, it could be contributing.

Offline alien51

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2019, 04:27:34 pm »
I was wondering, is it a bad thing that I naturally started to slightly angle my pick while strumming or flick the wrist? I usually strum with the pick pointed towards the body. Swinging my arm like a pendulum, but I sometime strum too hard, and hit the low e too hard and knock/getting the string stuck off of the fret board. After a while I started to notice I unconsciously started to angle the pick slightly with my wrist so it's not completely pointing at my body anymore.

I notice I started to flick my wrist in order to do specific strumming pattern too. For example, 1 3 strumming pattern. I flick my wrist between 1 and 3 to avoid down strum on 2.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2019, 05:44:57 pm »
Everything you've doing is part of the natural learning process.
You find all kinds of different ways to hold, strum and mute to make
your playing more intresting and enjoyable.
As long as you're keeping your hand moving and keeping the rhythm
going you're doing OK.
If you fi d yourself stopping and starting them you've got a problem.
Unless the music has a pause in it, then it's OK

Offline alien51

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2019, 07:41:03 pm »
Well, I only pause if I lose the progression because I forget the next chord. Then I start back up either from the beginning or a bar or two before it and continue.

I haven't really attempted muting yet. Not sure if there's a difference between electric or acoustic besides electric don't really sound right. Could just be me not doing it right.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App