Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 161767 times)

Offline flux1968

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2019, 03:37:43 pm »
When I change from D to A I get a little string buzz from my fingers moving to the next chord.Is this normal to happen in some instances when you are changing chord positions?Thanks for your time and effort. 8)

I've been having the same issue. I've looked around and everything I've seen says this is normal until we get better at changing chords smoothly.

In terms of changing from D to A, what I've noticed is that when I move my fingers, I slightly let up on ring finger on the D string, the anchor finger. I've made an effort to keep that finger down and it's helped a bit. However when changing to another chord without an anchor finger, like D to G, I still get the buzz and that will probably be the case until I transition better.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »
Yes, it's normal. That said, if you haven't already, have a guitar tech check the action and setup on your guitar to make sure it is ideal. If the action is high, it could be contributing.

Offline alien51

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #377 on: July 04, 2019, 04:27:34 pm »
I was wondering, is it a bad thing that I naturally started to slightly angle my pick while strumming or flick the wrist? I usually strum with the pick pointed towards the body. Swinging my arm like a pendulum, but I sometime strum too hard, and hit the low e too hard and knock/getting the string stuck off of the fret board. After a while I started to notice I unconsciously started to angle the pick slightly with my wrist so it's not completely pointing at my body anymore.

I notice I started to flick my wrist in order to do specific strumming pattern too. For example, 1 3 strumming pattern. I flick my wrist between 1 and 3 to avoid down strum on 2.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #378 on: July 04, 2019, 05:44:57 pm »
Everything you've doing is part of the natural learning process.
You find all kinds of different ways to hold, strum and mute to make
your playing more intresting and enjoyable.
As long as you're keeping your hand moving and keeping the rhythm
going you're doing OK.
If you fi d yourself stopping and starting them you've got a problem.
Unless the music has a pause in it, then it's OK

Offline alien51

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2019, 07:41:03 pm »
Well, I only pause if I lose the progression because I forget the next chord. Then I start back up either from the beginning or a bar or two before it and continue.

I haven't really attempted muting yet. Not sure if there's a difference between electric or acoustic besides electric don't really sound right. Could just be me not doing it right.

Offline CaMi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #380 on: August 09, 2019, 02:48:14 pm »
So hello. I am new here and I am complete beginner. I bought acoustic guitar 1 month ago and I tried yousician app and I must say that I did learn something but now I realized that it was just waste of my time. I mean my technique was "wrong" so I found out about Justin ( I wish I found him before lel xD ) and right now I am practicing changes between A, D and E chords. Now, I have one question. Is it really important for me, now when I am just like learning, to not play 6th string ( A and D chord)? Because when I try to focus on not playing them I mess up my changes and that is really frustrating. Can I just focus on practicing changes right now?

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #381 on: August 09, 2019, 04:06:29 pm »
So hello. I am new here and I am complete beginner. I bought acoustic guitar 1 month ago and I tried yousician app and I must say that I did learn something but now I realized that it was just waste of my time. I mean my technique was "wrong" so I found out about Justin ( I wish I found him before lel xD ) and right now I am practicing changes between A, D and E chords. Now, I have one question. Is it really important for me, now when I am just like learning, to not play 6th string ( A and D chord)? Because when I try to focus on not playing them I mess up my changes and that is really frustrating. Can I just focus on practicing changes right now?

If you are striking strings that should NOT be struck and ignore this fact, then you are learning and practising bad habits. This will be harder to correct later because you have become used to hitting strings you should NOT be hitting.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline CaMi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #382 on: August 09, 2019, 04:27:19 pm »
If you are striking strings that should NOT be struck and ignore this fact, then you are learning and practising bad habits. This will be harder to correct later because you have become used to hitting strings you should NOT be hitting.
Alright, thanks for the answer. I hope I will learn them properly one day :D

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #383 on: August 09, 2019, 05:29:04 pm »
Alright, thanks for the answer. I hope I will learn them properly one day :D

Like everything in the course, it's a matter of practise, practise, practise. Having said that, for some chords Justin will teach you to mute some strings so even if the muted string is hit, it will not affect the sound of the chord. The C chord is a good example. But you are not at the C chord stage yet so don't get ahead of yourself.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Sapna

• Good Vibes 0
Fingerstyling -when?
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2019, 06:08:58 pm »
Hi - I'm new - just started learning yesterday. After 45 minutes tuning the guitar and 20 minutes futzing around with the D chord to get it to sound out right exactly once, I'm ready for the challenge.

My question - My main interest is fingerstyling songs, more than playing chords and rhythms. I understand I need to start with the basics and move on, and I'll try to be patient. But at what point of the course can I start incorporating fingerstyling pieces and exercises?

Can I practice rudimentary fingerstyling exercises right now, or should I purely be concentrating on strumming and chords? I'd think that it would be a great way to break the monotony of playing the same 2 chords and giving my fretting hand a bit of a rest. Thoughts?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #385 on: August 21, 2019, 07:06:38 pm »
Fingerstyle is nothing more than playing chords but instead of strumming them
you pick out the individual notes to create a melody.
Your going to need to know your chords to play fingerstyle.
Follow the beginner course Justin introduces fingerstyle pattern some where
around stage 8

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Re: Fingerstyling -when?
« Reply #386 on: August 22, 2019, 10:33:15 pm »
Hi - I'm new - just started learning yesterday.
My question - My main interest is fingerstyling songs, more than playing chords and rhythms. I understand I need to start with the basics and move on, and I'll try to be patient. But at what point of the course can I start incorporating fingerstyling pieces and exercises?
Hi. I am no expert, but you started learning yesterday! If you want to learn properly, follow Justin’s beginners course and you will learn the skills that will eventually lead you to learning fingerstyle. As stitch says it’s stage 8, which in my experience is at least 8 months down the line. Stick in and be patient. The fact that you’re asking this question suggests you haven’t looked at the course. Please have a look at the whole thing. Take it from someone who started early last year, the course is first class but you have to be structured and methodical in your approach.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X. 
Arrived here Feb 2018. BC completed and now on IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Archtop as a teenager in the late 60’s. (When people took photos using Kodachrome).

Offline Sapna

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #387 on: August 22, 2019, 11:22:23 pm »
I did take a look at the course. The reason I asked is that in one of the videos Justin talks about the different styles that could be of interest, and says he basically teaches the pop/rock style which led me to believe that finger-styling would be dealt with as a secondary skill. Which is why I asked the question.

If I need to get to stage 8 to start on fingerstyling, that's fine. But if there is another method of teaching that concentrates on fingerstyling rather than rhythm, that would be an option I'd like to try. I'm not trying to play everything, or write my own stuff, I'm mainly looking to be able to play some music I don't have to sing along to (My singing is terrible, and it seems like all rhythm playing requires some singing/melody, but I could be wrong.)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #388 on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:24 am »
Your only other option is to try and find a fingerstyle teacher on the net for
beginners. Most I've seen take for granted you know how to play chords so
the lessons would be way above your ability.
Maybe some one here knkws of a good beginner fingerstyle teacher.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2019, 08:41:21 am »
To play fingerstyle you need to know and be able to play:

chords - lots of them
chord changes
rhythm - making chords sound and chord changes rhythmically
an appreciation of song structure and chords that work together by learning and playing songs

All of this Justin guides you through in the Beginners Course.
I can't think of any guitar teacher that would start a raw beginner with fingerstyle.
It is not a raw beginner skill or approach to learning.
The only style that would start in that ball park would be classical music where a classical guitarist would learn single string melodies, read from sheet music, eventually, over time, moving to longer melody pieces on several strings.
But I take it that is not the sort of finger playing style you want.

Honestly, you need the basics.
Fingerstyle is a joy.
But you need to walk before you run.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App