Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 155493 times)

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2016, 05:06:52 pm »
This might be a silly question but how long should we be on stage one of the beginner course before moving on?

It's been a week since I started and I already notice that my fingers aren't as sensitive anymore and don't ache as much when I press down on the strings. The only problems I seem to have are muting of the strings which I try and correct as much as I can but I just wonder to myself sometimes how long students should theoretically take at this stage. I want to know so that I know if i'm doing too much or not enough in my practices.

Thanks!

Read this. When to move on to the next stage.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php

Have you got all the bullet points down? ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2016, 03:45:55 am »
My sticking point seems to be the songs.  I feel comfy with chords and chord changes now, but when I play, or try to play the songs, grrrrrrrr.  I have a hard time both memorizing them and then remembering the strum patterns.  I do ok if I am playing along with Justin, but when I attempt the song with no backup rhythm I get frustrated.  Any advice?
Hi I suffer from life long chronic silent migraine and as a result my recall is very bad. I too have a great deal of trouble remembering the order of chords in songs. I write them down as I go even though I have them already in front of me. It really helps!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline Khatru

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2016, 02:27:41 am »
I was having a few bad days where I couldn't seem to do anything right. I think maybe I was staying at the same thing for 2 long. Trying to play brown eyed girl for about a month but it just didn't sound right and forget the intro, I can't get that with any accuracy. I am in stage 4 but hadn't tried any of those songs. I decided to try killing me softly and things just seemed to turn around and things were going right again. After about a week of seemingly going nowhere or maybe backwards the last 2 nights have shown great progress except changing to B7, that's fairly slow. I also started playing Show Me by Jon Anderson which is fun and fairly simple.
 Learning songs just takes repeatedly playing them, eventually you get it, at least once, then you'll forget for a few more tries. Quite the adventure at my age.

Offline Fmaj7

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:39 am »
. After about a week of seemingly going nowhere or maybe backwards the last 2 nights have shown great progress except changing to B7, that's fairly slow. Quite the adventure at my age.

For me it´s a bit like climbing a hill:  a bit upward a bit downward but while walking consequent we reach the top. And the 50+ can climb on Everest, K2, so what:  B7 is not really a problem  :) :) :)
Fmaj7

Offline stanleyarmstrong

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #229 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:12 pm »
I know that the "A" chord is made up of the triad A,C# and E.  What makes the chord an A and not C# or E?
Has it to do with frequencies?

Offline nickboothmusic

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2016, 11:06:01 pm »

I know that the "A" chord is made up of the triad A,C# and E.  What makes the chord an A and not C# or E?

It's basic music theory at that point.

An A major chord is made of of A (the root), C# (the third), and E (the fifth).

A C# minor chord is made up of C# (the root), E (the minor third), and A# - the fifth in this one makes it not an A major chord. If you changed the E to an F, you'd have C# major.

An E chord is E (the root), G# (the third), and B (the fifth). The only note that has in common with an A chord is the E.

Now, of course, all of this is assuming basic major chords. It starts getting more fun to figure out what a chord actually is when you get into flat 7 9th Augmented chords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #231 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:24 am »
Tweak:  C#m would be C# E G#.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline nickboothmusic

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #232 on: March 04, 2016, 03:57:10 am »

Tweak:  C#m would be C# E G#.

Shadow

Yes, that. The correct way. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jtbrown1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #233 on: March 04, 2016, 03:28:55 pm »
You're starting to dive into music theory. The answer to your question will just cause you to ask other questions, but the A chord (really, the A major chord) is made up of the root, third, and fifth of the A major scale.

An E chord would be made up of the root, third, and fifth of the E major scale, which would be E, G#, and B.

Same theory goes for the makeup of a C# major chord.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »
As others have said, you're venturing into music theory here.

One of things alluded to in the answers above is that it is about intervals (the "root, third, fifth bit"). To understand this you need to start delving a bit into scales and scale theory and, possibly most importantly, to understand intervals and their role in scales and chords.

At the end of the day, the short answer is certain combinations of intervals played together have a certain "character" and we have standardised on how we name these. There are sound reasons behind this standardisation (it's not totally random) but until you start delving into music theory you will struggle to understand the reasoning behind it.

If you do want to start to learn this stuff, Justin's Practical Music Theory is a great place to start.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Nocturnal1961

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2016, 11:32:58 pm »
How should I take care of left fret fingers. I got good hard callouses on finger tips but still get grooves. The deepest grooves seem to come from doing E. So when doing minute changes like D to E or  A to E the finger fall right into place for E but flub up trying to do D or A. I thought when callouses came These groves would not get like this any more. What can I do to remedy this?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:04:13 pm by Nocturnal1961 »

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2016, 08:54:47 am »
@Nocturnal,

I would say practice, practice, practice.

Callouses have little to do with how your fingers change chords. They will just make it less painfull after a while.

Keep at it!

regards,
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently playing in a band.
www.lastchance.be
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »
@nocturnal I remember this well and thinking that the grooves wouldn't disappear but they do. At the moment it's because you're only moving between the three chords you know. As you learn C, G, minor chords, slash chords etc, you'll be placing your fingers slightly differently and this means the grooves will start to disappear. It happened to me it'll happen to you.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline guitar65riff

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:51 am »
I've been playing for 40 years and still get grooves if I play for a long time. Ignore them. It's not important

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2016, 09:39:12 am »
I get grooves after playing a few hours but they even out during the night.
When I was a quite new beginner I had to use an emoryboard to deal with the skin but now I never have to anymore.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App