Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 162369 times)

Offline Size12jon

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 12:44:31 pm »
Hi Mac it's just time and practice, finger size has nothing to do with it you will build up muscle memory eventually.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 03:57:15 pm »
s there any techniques that will help me to stop looking where i'm placing my fingers

Learn to use your ear more and your eyes less. Practice forming each chord slowly and don't look at your
fingers. Listen to what your fingers are playing and if it's wrong without looking find the right note/s.
It will only take 5 minute every time you practice.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:34 am »
I think it's more a natural progression. The muscle memory, through endless repetition via exercises and learning songs, ingrains it.

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:09:47 am »
Yeah, what drubbing says. It's a natural process. Sure you can train yourself to do chord changes without looking. I have, but that doesn't mean I don't look at the fretboard anymore. And most guitar players, including the professionals, will look at their fretting hand to some extent.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Mac76

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 04:44:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice people, I suppose i will just keep plucking away whilst tearing what remains of my hair out haha,

I have the A and D major chords down now although not perfect every time but not bad for a week i suppose, Just have to listen to the advice and take my time. Now just have to concentrate on moving from them to the G, C, E Major which is where everything goes bottom up  :-\

Many thanks

Mac  ;)

Offline Nk101

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:53 am »
Hey hi, Actually I had few questions to ask. I am 25yrs old and bought a guitar last month. Have been practicing chords and memorizing them. Could you please tell me what should I do STEP by STEP in order to learn and play good guitar .

Please tell me what should I do step by step and how much time should I give it. At the moment I'm just practicing chords and I know 12 chords. Please help me :) thanks

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 11:31:03 am »
You only need to follow Justin's course. Start at Stage 0 and just complete each lesson and then move on to the next one. You won't have to remember the steps, as they're all laid out for you :)

Lesson 1:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-101-CommonQuestions.php

Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 08:48:41 pm »
Hey hi, Actually I had few questions to ask. I am 25yrs old and bought a guitar last month. Have been practicing chords and memorizing them. Could you please tell me what should I do STEP by STEP in order to learn and play good guitar .

Please tell me what should I do step by step and how much time should I give it. At the moment I'm just practicing chords and I know 12 chords. Please help me :) thanks

Just follow Justin's Beginners Course, step by step. Last August I'd never played a chord in my life and I'm 36. Now I can play around 15 songs from memory.

I'd recommend getting Justin's Beginner's Course book, plus his Beginner's Songbook. The website and youtube clips are great for demonstrations when you first learn something new but I found having it down in print helped a lot too. You don't have to keep pausing a paper page.

Follow the course, don't cut corners and you'll progress.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline Nk101

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 07:22:33 am »
Thanks a lot of the advice :)

Just wondering as I have been practicing, that do I have to be perfect in a specific chord or have to master Justin's learning stage 1 then 2 and 3 and so on and then move to the next one or just practice stage 1 for a while and then move to the next one even if I don't perfect the 1st stage? Please help

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 07:27:52 am »
Justin has laid out some goals you need to achieve before moving to the next stage. The practice routine is at the end of each stage. Buying the course means those to-do lists are included so you can fill them out and see your progress.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline Nk101

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 07:28:18 am »
Thanks a lot of the advice :)

Just wondering as I have been practicing, that do I have to be perfect in a specific chord or have to master Justin's learning stage 1 then 2 and 3 and so on and then move to the next one or just practice stage 1 for a while and then move to the next one even if I don't perfect the 1st stage? Please help

Offline Nk101

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 07:29:05 am »
Thanks a lot Chantal :)

Offline Nk101

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 07:31:00 am »
And what would you advice me, how to practice? with amp connected and practice with headphones or just guitar, nothing plugged?

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 10:16:05 am »
Unplugged. You can hear your mistakes better when the guitar is not amplified.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

tcopestake1

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 04:19:17 pm »
Hey,

I've seen a lot of questions about how much practicing to do and finger pain etc (Thankfully I'm past that for the most part). But I was wondering if anyone else just has an "off" couple of days where even the simplest things seem mega difficult?

To give you an idea of where I am in terms of progress, I'm just about to move on to the third section of the beginners course, I practice every day and I'm just trying to finesse my one minute changes to meet Justins recommendation, but for the last couple of days it just seems my fingers aren't connected to my brain anymore and going all over the place, even the simpler chords I've played hundreds of times seem really hard.

Basically my question is this, has anyone else been through this and if so should I knuckle down and plough through and try and correct my mistakes or should I step a way for a couple of days and come back with a fresh head?

Thanks

Get The Forum As A Mobile App