Author Topic: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered  (Read 160130 times)

Offline PeteP

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-101 • Common beginners questions answered
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2014, 09:16:09 pm »
That sounds like a good plan, Shadow.

I suspect I've tried learning a song before I've fully got to grips with the chords: being able to form them and play them slowly is all well and good, but strumming the wrong strings defeats all the effort.

I'll back off a bit and spend a bit of practice time on that slowed down method.

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2014, 09:23:24 pm »
Thanks TB.

Cool, Brandt, that'll hide the occasional miss.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2014, 01:21:46 am »
It may sound OK sometimes to play the open A when playing the D chord but you must remember that
isn't a D chord it's a D/A. So if you want or need the D as the bass note you need to play the D string
first.
This may sound a little picky but it does make a difference in the way the chord sound and a big difference
if leading into a run.

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:06 am »
I understand.  I hear the difference if I accidentally hit the A string.  It gives the chord a fuller/deeper sound while the D itself is normally light and airy.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline falcovrod

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »
Hi Justin first thank for a fantastic course...best on the internet.
Question, are there any other way to get an A cord?
My fingers are really think, and there is no way I cab get 3 fingers between the fret's...
Please help...A CORD is holding me back!!!
Thanks

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2014, 09:19:18 pm »
have a look at the A mini bar http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-143-Aminibar-chord.php it might save you  ;)
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2014, 01:52:56 am »
Everyone's fingers are too fat, thin, long, short, stumpy or  immoveable to start off with.

The mini bar A is handy to learn, but you'll need both.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:00:03 am by Drubbing »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2014, 06:39:12 am »
Learn the proper A chord ... ignoring it to learn mini-barre A is a cheat / gimmick and you will regret it.
Plus you are setting a bad precedent ... looking for short-cuts and cheats along the way.
Three ways to try it
fingers 1, 2, 3 in a line
fingers 2, 3, 4 in a line
fingers 2, 1, 3 in a triangular cluster

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:43 am »
It's absolutely normal to have problems getting the A chord right, placing the fingers so that they do not interfere with the 1st and 5th strings. I've been trying to play for over a year, and I still sometimes mess this one up. But now I get it most of the time, whereas at first it seemed almost impossible. Others learn quicker than I do - but in any case it'll take time. It sounds as if you're just starting out: you'll need a lot of patience. But if you keep at it, you'll get there.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2014, 08:27:53 am »
Falcovrod as Tim says this normal. It just takes time, patience and practice.
Try the different fingerings provided by Close2u but the 213 does make it easier to make changes to other chords.

Three ways to try it
fingers 1, 2, 3 in a line
fingers 2, 3, 4 in a line
fingers 2, 1, 3 in a triangular cluster

Close - Years back I used 234 as I thought my fingers were too fat for 123 and it helped with A shaped barres, funny as they work now! During the BC I've stuck with the 213 but as I'm near the end I've been wondering if I should be working on these fingerings as well. I can understand the sound difference for the different G chords but an A is an A. Would it benefit to add 123 or 234 into my repertoire?  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2014, 08:43:15 am »
I think that mastering different fingerings of the same chord can help you in speeding up different chords progressions, since one fingering might require less  'finger acrobatics' to change to another chord than an other fingering.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:09:55 pm by pt3r »
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:03 pm »
@ toby

p3t3r makes sense

I use whichever suits .. in terms of the chord I'm coming from or the chord I'm going to.

2, 3, 4 makes move to E Major easy.
Also, 2, 3, 4 with 1 placed on the G string at fret 2 makes a change from A Major to A Major 7 easy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:27:03 am by close2u »

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2014, 10:44:08 pm »
@ falcovrod

In case you haven't heard it enough do yourself a favor and learn the three finger A chord.  I've been playing for 17 months and while I probably nail it 95% of the time(took the better part of a year to get that consistent) I can still fluff the A up at times.  Stick with proper fingering and in time your mind and fingers will figure it out. The "normal" fingering of A may be holding you back now (that's not unusual for lots of us) but learning only a mini bar A will hold you back more in your future playing.
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »
@Close & pt3r thanks guys its kinda how I was beginning to think any way, especially regarding things to include during BC consolidation.

I've a feeling that I might struggle with the A shape barre using 1 and 3 only and (again) years back used to use 234 and the 1st finger barre. Its strange though after nearly 20 months on the BC using 213 and never coping with 123 when I started donkeys years ago but the 123 now feels easily doable !

Any other easy moves you can recommend using 123 or 234 (Justin covers the 213 options) or no doubt as I'm about to hit BC9 you'll say I should be sussing out for myself now !

8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline jpuopolo

• Good Vibes 3
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2014, 02:09:42 pm »
Hi All,

For what it's worth, and to lend perspective to other newbies...

I picked up my first guitar 11 months ago, at 46 years old. I've always wanted to learn to play, and had romantic visions of myself strumming for my 3 kids in no time flat. Wow. Naive.

It took me several months to get past Stage 1 (probably 3 or more). I can now play some of the songs up through Stage 4 now; however, I can only really play a few strum patterns ("Old Faithful" and one or two others), and I find it nearly impossible to sing along while playing. When I try to sing, my strumming reverts to all downstrums and I mess up the rhythm.

I play for about an hour almost every day. I'm enjoying the process, but sometimes get very frustrated. Like, how hard can it be to play Yellow Submarine?! Well, I'm finding out the answer is "quite."

I find it impressive that some people say they whiz through the beginner's course in a matter of months. No idea how that's possible if they're starting from scratch, but more power to them!

In any case, if you think you're progress is slow, just remember this post :). I'm almost a year in, and I'm just about level 4.

Eeek.

John

Get The Forum As A Mobile App