Author Topic: BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords  (Read 29354 times)

Offline eh1253

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2018, 03:42:03 am »
If it helps any I have the same issue. I'm not sure of any fixes but I'm hoping the callus thing and accuracy fixes it. It drives me crazy when it touches the fret board for some reason.

EDIT: I just thought about this but maybe try shifting your hand or elbow around a little bit to see what works for you like they recommend earlier in this thread.

Good to know it's not just me! Shifting it has worked a little bit. Now I only have the problem when trying to play the B7 chord. I've also noticed I can even play the B7 for the first few minutes, but after a little bit the string starts creating a groove in my pinky causing me to have to push down further.

The trouble is you have these problems and as you move on through the course you realise that problem has gone but you don't really know what fixed it.

All I can suggest is make sure you are not pressing down too hard with the pinky.

Yeah I'm hoping the problem just disappears eventually, that's definitely happened with other issues I've run into. I'll try pressing down with less force and see how that works since I'm definitely pressing pretty hard.

Offline NoIdea

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 06:01:18 pm »
Is it ok if my third finger isn't touching the B string while not strumming, but it slightly touches it while strumming? How should I fix this?

Offline nova_asgard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2018, 10:56:30 am »
Hi, I'm 2 weeks into this stage and am having some difficulties with the B7 chord. Which is OK, but it makes me wonder about the 1-minute changes and Justin's "practice makes permanent".

Should I really keep doing 1-minute changes with a chord I still struggle to make it sound OK? Or should I wait to incorporate this chord to the 1-minutue changes exercises until I can make it sound reasonably well most times I try?

Thanks!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 158
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2018, 05:50:11 pm »
Justin is correct, if you practice  mistakes you are learning mistakes.
Keep doing the pick strum pick exercise u til the chord is right.
Then try play the chord lift your fingers off then place them back down.
Once yoy can do that try taki g your hand right off the neck then place it down
Whenyourgood a t that do the same thing but touch your knee. When you can
do that then incorporate the B7 into you OMC routine.

The OMC was designed to speed up your chord changes after you can play the
chords

Offline nova_asgard

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:26 pm »
The OMC was designed to speed up your chord changes after you can play the
chords

Thanks for the heads up, it makes sense!

Offline OnTheRise

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2018, 02:41:01 pm »
I'm having some trouble with the B7 chord.  I can form the chord, but it has been a slow climb to get it to change fast.  I think the big difference is with the previous chords, I was able to see the progress from first forming them, to my first finger getting down and then slowly but surely I was able to form the chord before getting it down, so I was able to change quickly and cleanly.  Now my hand doesn't seem to be able to get into the shape at all before I change, and I end up landing on the wrong strings if I try to. My question is did everyone stick around in this session until the B7 was perfect, or is it just one of those chords it takes a while to get truly perfect and people moved on, but still worked on it?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2018, 03:24:03 pm »
I'm having some trouble with the B7 chord.  I can form the chord, but it has been a slow climb to get it to change fast.  I think the big difference is with the previous chords, I was able to see the progress from first forming them, to my first finger getting down and then slowly but surely I was able to form the chord before getting it down, so I was able to change quickly and cleanly.  Now my hand doesn't seem to be able to get into the shape at all before I change, and I end up landing on the wrong strings if I try to. My question is did everyone stick around in this session until the B7 was perfect, or is it just one of those chords it takes a while to get truly perfect and people moved on, but still worked on it?

I stuck at until I could play a couple of songs.  Then it cropped up again in stage 5 when working on the trip-let strumming, since that works well for blues.

Offline sairfingers

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2019, 11:48:28 pm »
I’ve found that if you know there is a G to B7 change coming up, eg. Dock of the Bay, it’s better to use the fingers 234 G chord shape. It’s much easier to change to B7 as your fingers are in a better position and you can use finger 2 as an anchor.
The G to E change uses the same anchor with the 234 G chord. G to C is good too as you’re moving fingers 2&3 one string down. So all in all I think it’s a very useful version of the G chord.
I agree about the omc’s. If you can’t form a chord reasonably well there’s no point trying to practice changing to/from it quickly. Once you can get it clean and clear then start to speed it up.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard : Boss Katana 50.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App