Author Topic: BC-199 • Consolidation Time  (Read 62332 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
Re: BC-199 • Consolidation Time
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:46 pm »
On the 8th fret C7 is F shape Barre with your ring finger off and F is A shape Barre on the same fret.
On the 3rd fret C7 is an A shape Barre with string 3 open to the Barre.
HTH
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2017, 10:39:26 pm »
Four posts above yours, and and as discussed in the last three. ;)

Thanks, I know I'll just have to stick with the A barre. When I remember how I couldn't play a full F E shape barre a year ago, and now it's smooth as, it helps a lot. :)

That was my post, before Photobucket decided to play silly buggers. ;)

This is it. They're barre chords, but you're still fretting at the nut end of the fretboard so no big moves up or down.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Gregg Hermetech

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Mastering Engineer
    • Hermetech Mastering
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2017, 07:34:38 am »
Thanks guys, it was as I expected, now to get back to practising those A shaped barres...  8)

Offline BCDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2017, 02:10:42 pm »
Hi folks. I have a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with.

I am approaching the end of Stage 8 and looking towards Stage 9. I am confused about something regarding the F-Chord.

In Stage 6 where the F-Chord is introduced, on page 119 of Justin's Beginner Course book where he outlines the Practice Schedule, he clearly states that "if you have got the hang of of the full barre chord F..... don't worry about the easier versions".

Fortunately, I was able to get the hang of the full barre chord F, so I have not learned the other versions.

In Stage 9, on page 174 of Justin's Beginner Course book where he outlines what components of the course should be mastered before "graduating", he lists all 3 versions of the F chord.

So, my question is this. If I can play the full barre chord F, do I really need to learn the other versions of F?

Offline Gregg Hermetech

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Mastering Engineer
    • Hermetech Mastering
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:31 pm »
Comes down to you really. If you want to learn them all (like I did), then go for it. If not, then move on. Now I'm on the IC struggling with the A shape barre, I wish I had spent longer on the BC practising the "one finger mini barre A shape", but with my third finger!

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2017, 05:43:51 pm »
Like you, I persevered with the big F chord. But, I have found that having the small F is a useful skill to have in your bag of tricks. There are just some songs where small F is more appropriate. If you haven’t already then BC consolidation seems as good a time as any to sort out the small F.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2017, 07:53:06 pm »
I recommend taking some time to learn the mini-barre F shape on 4 strings.
It is really useful as a moveable chord, it is essential for many thumb-over techniques of rhythm, it leads directly to playing triad forms too.
The other F, the Beginners 'cheat' is really an F maj 7 chord and is a good one to learn in its own right.

Offline BCDC

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »
Thanks for your comments Gregg, SiegeFrog, and Close2u. Much appreciated.
I think I will continue with the F-barre chord until I get more confident with it, and then spend some time on at least one other version of F in the consolidation phase.

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2018, 09:35:45 am »
I'm a few weeks into stage 9 and am wondering how much of it is really necessary to nail to complete the begineers course?

I'm thinking probably slash chords, PC shifts and palm mute are the core elements.

Wondering instead whether to split my practice hour between stage 9 essential and to start consolidation now instead of completing all of stage 9 before consolidating.

Looking to have a broad base so fingerstyle, blues and MP variations are all important but I don't see them as essential at this stage. Certainly not important enough to delay consolidation work.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2018, 06:56:02 pm »
You can learn it now or later it's up to you. The beginner course was designed to give the student
a good foundation to learn from. If you feel you don't need to learn everything then don't. You can always
come back and learn it later when you feel you need it.

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2019, 09:20:08 am »
Hi Guys.
I’ve started consolidating my BC and reckon I’ll be at that for quite a while. It’s facinating to go back over the lessons and remember the things that were difficult at the time and are now easy (easier!). Parts of the course that I skimmed over - the ear training stuff mainly - I’m finding easier because I have more experience now at listening to and playing chords.
Working out what notes to play/not play in slash chords gives me some difficulty. G7/B, Dm/C etc. but I’ll get there.
The thing I find most annoying is forgetting songs! Songs that I could play quite well get rusty when your repertoire gets bigger. Not that mine is that big, but you know what I mean. I suppose it’s always going to be a case of a handful that are really good, another handful that are OK, and the rest that can be brushed up on when required.
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard : Boss Katana 50.
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. Now consolidating before starting IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop for 4 years 1968-1972. Then life got in the way. Don’t know where that guitar went!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2019, 11:15:03 am »
Good insight sairfingers.
Keeping on top of a repertoire is always a balancing act between learning new and keeping the old fresh in mind.
Some things do fall by the way side and others will stick with you for life. Keeping them in rotation will help as your list grows larger.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App