Author Topic: Sweet Child O Mine  (Read 6415 times)

Offline bluepingu34

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Sweet Child O Mine
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:23 am »
Yeah, I think it does slow down a bit after the intro, but with the backing track I used, it was a set tempo.

Kroikey

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 11:04:01 pm »
Nice one Pingu.  You seem to be exactly where I am on this song, although I learnt a little of the fast part to practice, then felt I was way off it ever sounding good enough without some more chops.  So off I went on a voyage of discovery lol.  I actually think I've slipped backwards on this song its been so long since I played it.  I think the audio I posted here was probably the last serious effort.

Good on you, it took me bloody ages to learn each bit and make it semi fluid.  ;D

Sl8sh

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 01:08:13 am »
That's the funny thing about recordings.  They sound like they have a perfect tempo until you take a metronome to it and find out that within seconds the music is off.  My whole thing is if you can hold a steady tempo you're more than good.  If you're going to be an OCD perfectionist about correctly playing something perfect to the metronome its not music.  At that point, music has lost expression.  And a part of that expression is varying the tempo slighty in a song.  That's whats so interesting about jazz especially.  It's played more by feel than by rhythm or tempo.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 02:20:45 am »
Here is the comment I recall...

“‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’ was easy to record, but because we were not so professional back in the day, it was the one song where we didn’t count the song in, because it’s a guitar intro,” Slash says. “It took me all afternoon to time it out and be at the right place when the drums came in — this was before ProTools and all of that.”

Now if I could only remember where I put my car keys.
Gone

Sl8sh

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:13 am »
wow....talk about pressure being on stage.  Having to remember the right tempo so the drums have to come in just right. 

Ron de Groot

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 10:39:33 am »
Nice performance .

Yes you need to play this a bit more so it gets smooder ;) but you have the song there and only have go polish this a bit .

Cant wait for the next version :)

Greets

Ron

Offline bluepingu34

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:46 am »
Cant wait for the next version
Might be a while yet :(

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 02:44:55 am »
I think you did a real kick ass job of this song.  Yes, it could use some spit and polish.  You will get it though. Your perseverance has paid off to get you this far!  Just go for it as I know it will be perfect soon enough!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Sl8sh

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 05:06:27 am »
I'll back up licksnkicks on the encouragement.  I might have been a little tough. 

Offline bluepingu34

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 10:40:34 am »
Thanks, and Sl8sh, don't worry, your comments were helpful :)

DouglasWHawkins

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »
Listen to the recording again.  You're playing it way to fast.  The song is delicate.  It needs to exhibit respectful love.  Other than that you've pretty much got it to me. 

A bit of irony your named Sl8sh huh?

Sl8sh

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 01:51:22 am »
DouglasWHawkins:

Yeah...hehehe...I'm in a Guns n Roses phase right now.  It'll probably change in a couple months anyway.   ;D

Glad my comments were somewhat helpful bluepingu34.   :)

DouglasWHawkins

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 05:06:10 pm »
DouglasWHawkins:

Yeah...hehehe...I'm in a Guns n Roses phase right now.  It'll probably change in a couple months anyway.   ;D

Glad my comments were somewhat helpful bluepingu34.   :)

Awww so your not the real slash?
*sigh*

Sl8sh

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 07:16:39 pm »
No.   :D   8)  I wish. 

DouglasWHawkins

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 01:06:47 am »
Don't we all?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App