Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 52670 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
Re: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2020, 01:55:36 pm »
You're pretty good for just 10 weeks. Two thumbs up.
A liitle slow on the chord changes but that will smooth with practice.

Offline danman83

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2020, 03:21:12 pm »
I know I'm struggling with the chord changes and get a bit wound up. But Ill just keep trying. Thanks mate

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2020, 04:03:12 pm »
@danman83

10 weeks and I can hear some fairly cleanly played chords and some decent changes between chords.
I'm not going to give critique as at this stage you really are taking your very first steps and need encouragement to just keep on learning the basics of chord formation, chord changes and simple tempo.
Vibes.
:)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2020, 05:05:32 pm »
@danman83

Well done, Dan. You are doing great. Can only say keep at it and it'll keep getting better. And big thumbs up for taking the plunge and sharing a recording early in the journey. The encouragement and feedback will be invaluable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:30:27 am by close2u »
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline danman83

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2020, 06:28:07 pm »
Thanks really appreciate it

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2020, 06:54:25 am »
Ok, thought I’d have a go at recording this. It’s one of the first songs I tried to learn many years ago before I discovered JustinGuitar.
And even now whenever I pick up a guitar and just start noodling I tend to end up on this chord progression.

Anyway, here’s my effort. This singing business is still a struggle.

Rod.

https://soundcloud.com/user-913160599/knockin-on-heavens-door

Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Tele, Epiphone Flamekat,
Martin OMC-PA4, Eastman AC120CE

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2020, 07:04:59 am »
@RC23

Well done, Rod, you are building some good momentum on making recordings of songs.

I liked the way you mixed up the strumming, the accented bass note, the picking of individual strings or just hitting two strings maybe at times.

As for the singing, I think it took me about two years before the singing started to sound kind of OK. And the progress was achieved just by keeping at it, rather than through any deliberate practice. Only recommendation is to keep singing along with originals, without trying to play, unless of course you go all in and get a teacher.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:30:50 am by close2u »
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »
DavidP

Thanks David, appreciate the feedback.

It’s all a work in progress at the moment, especially the singing because that’s a very new addition.
Planning on persisting though. Lots more practice and singing in the car!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:31:08 am by close2u »

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2020, 01:08:57 pm »
@RC23 Nicely done Rod!  I enjoyed your interpretation.    I can't believe this challenge has been going since 2009.  I might have to do one too!  seems like something cool to be part of.   Well done on this , you've inspired me to have a stab at it.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2020, 02:56:08 pm »
Well done, Rod. I really liked your version. And as far as the singing goes, I thought a big improvement from St. James Infirmary Blues. You're on the way. Keep at it!

Tosh
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2020, 10:51:52 pm »
Alex6strings

Thanks Alex,
The challenges are a good idea, I’ve gone through and listened to a few of them. There’s a couple of others I may have a go at sometime.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:31:21 am by close2u »

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2020, 10:54:50 pm »
phx1973

Thanks Tosh,

I think I’m getting used to the sound of my own voice. And also not worrying so much about what the rest of the household hears.

Rod.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:31:33 am by close2u »

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2020, 10:02:47 pm »
Here's a cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Knocking on Heaven's Door

Guitar (Martin OM-35e)
Vocal (me)
Drums (created in the DAW with MIDI & a sampled drum kit)
Bass (created in the DAW with MIDI & a sampled bass)

This is one where I recorded the guitar, wasn't 100% happy with it, and let it sit (thinking I'd re-record the guitar at some point). Today I decided to let the guitar stand (despite my perceived "warts") and just recorded the vocal over what I already had.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2020, 10:38:47 pm »
@J.W.C.
Wow man! Loved it! Keep them coming! :) Loved the drum beat along with your acoustic, sounds really nice.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:31:49 am by close2u »

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2020, 11:14:43 pm »
@J.W.C.
I don't think there was any reason to keep it away in the bottom drawer away from all of us. Really well made cover, enjoyed it a lot to be fair, especially those small flavours like suspended chords. Great work and you should be proud of yourself!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:32:07 am by close2u »

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2020, 11:57:06 pm »
@J.W.C.
Loved that, sounded great.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:32:28 am by close2u »

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2020, 12:29:52 am »
@adi_mrok

@Bytron08

@RC23

Thanks, everyone. :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:33:10 am by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2020, 06:14:11 am »
J.W.C.
What more can I say, JWC. I can listen to your play and sing all day long. You have just such a smooth, relaxed, laid-back, vibe in both the playing and singing.

From a mix perspective, I do have a feeling listening to the songs you've posted that I lift the vocals a smidge, just a teeny bit. It feels like I am listening to the guitar and the singing is a little bit in the background, secondary.  I know you said a couple back that you thought that maybe the leveling of the vocal was a tad high.  Do you maybe have a reference track of a solo acoustic player/singer that sounds spot on to you that you could use by way of comparison?

Of course nothing wrong with listening to your guitar-playing. You are one of those here who show me the way, make me aware that I am really just getting started, a toddler just beginning to walk. At this point I can only imagine being able to hear some of the things in this and the previous recording that would make one want to record another take  :o

Thanks again for the wonderful moments you are now sharing with us here.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:33:31 am by close2u »

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2020, 07:02:17 am »
What more can I say, JWC. I can listen to your play and sing all day long. You have just such a smooth, relaxed, laid-back, vibe in both the playing and singing.

Thanks!

From a mix perspective, I do have a feeling listening to the songs you've posted that I lift the vocals a smidge, just a teeny bit. It feels like I am listening to the guitar and the singing is a little bit in the background, secondary.  I know you said a couple back that you thought that maybe the leveling of the vocal was a tad high.  Do you maybe have a reference track of a solo acoustic player/singer that sounds spot on to you that you could use by way of comparison?

Hmm. Good question; I'll need to think about that.

I wonder if it's a difference in what we're listening on. When I'm mixing these I'm either using monitor headphones or monitor speakers. I should probably give the tracks a listen on some other speakers (e.g., car, home stereo, phone earbuds) to see if that affects it.

Also, since I know I'm posting these to a guitar forum, I wonder if I'm subconsciously lifting the guitar a bit too much in the mix, relative to the vocal.

Could also be that I'm not as experienced recording and EQing vocals (or maybe need a different mic that fits my voice better -- Lol), so they're not as "present" as they could be.

In any case, I appreciate the feedback. I'll take a closer look and listen next time I'm mixing something.

(And if anyone else wants to offer any feedback on the mix/level, I'd certainly appreciate hearing that, too. The more ears the better.)

At this point I can only imagine being able to hear some of the things in this and the previous recording that would make one want to record another take

It's mostly little timing issues, or places where I don't hit a note in a chord as cleanly as I'd like. Often I think they're minor and probably not that noticeable in the context of the whole song, they just "stand out" to me once I've heard them. It's the same kind of thing that I've been telling me daughter not to worry about when she listens to recordings of own playing. "Physician, heal thyself!" :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2020, 08:13:07 am »
JWC,

It could be the listening means. For this one I was listening through some buds. They are better quality than the standard buds provided with a phone or tablet but not super hifi or mixing quality. So could possibly be colouring the experience. I also should play with the SC playback volume as I have found that for some reason when I soften that it influences the experience of the balance.

On the subconscious, I also wondered if you may have some sub-conscious thoughts about your own singing. I know many folk here don't enjoy their own singing and wondered if you might be softening it for that reason.

I appreciate that you hear things that aren't quite as good as you'd like.  I have the same sense when I listen to mine, just my quality/level bar is a lot lower that where you is ... so I think my oooopsies are far more obvious to more folk than yours would be. And just in case anybody is concerned, I am happy where I am and appreciate that it is a long and winding road.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2020, 08:14:24 am »
Lovely version JWC, beautifully played and sung. You’re really on a roll at the moment.
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2020, 07:40:12 pm »
@J.W.C.
Tasty cover. Very nicely done. I listened over laptop speakers and thought everything sounded great. No real nits other than the intros and outros were a bit long, but hey if you really love a track -- play it for all it's worth and for as long as you want. Well done!   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:33:51 am by close2u »

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2020, 08:03:04 pm »
Lovely version JWC, beautifully played and sung. You’re really on a roll at the moment.

Tasty cover. Very nicely done. I listened over laptop speakers and thought everything sounded great. No real nits other than the intros and outros were a bit long, but hey if you really love a track -- play it for all it's worth and for as long as you want. Well done!

Thank you!

When I recorded the drums and bass I was thinking I might add some instrumental parts (electric guitar, maybe harmonica -- not sure) that would "fill out" the outro (and maybe add some touches to the intro), but I didn't end up doing that. I've been trying to overcome my inclination to keep working on stuff such that it's never finished or mixed down and just sits. I may still look into that, though.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2020, 10:37:39 pm »
@J.W.C. another great way to start the day listening to one of your songs.  This was a really cool interpretation.  I like the bass, drums, acoustic only sound this had.   8)  Thanks for another great share!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2020, 11:00:26 pm »
Here's a cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Knocking on Heaven's Door

Guitar (Martin OM-35e)
Vocal (me)
Drums (created in the DAW with MIDI & a sampled drum kit)
Bass (created in the DAW with MIDI & a sampled bass)

This is one where I recorded the guitar, wasn't 100% happy with it, and let it sit (thinking I'd re-record the guitar at some point). Today I decided to let the guitar stand (despite my perceived "warts") and just recorded the vocal over what I already had.
I loved it J.W.C.  more like this please. LOL. And I listened before reading your comment about not being totally happy with the guitar work. Sounded pretty much flawless to me. We’re those SUS chords you were throwing in? Whatever it was, I thought it added a nice vibe to it that you don’t always get with this song. I’ve been thinking it may be about time for me to revise this song and you’ve given me some good ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Get The Forum As A Mobile App