Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 37044 times)

Offline Alli

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2020, 01:09:38 pm »
@CT

True. Just have not heard this version before.

The original is G D A G D C throughout, right?

What’s the chords you played on this version? might give it a go.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:49:35 pm by close2u »

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2020, 01:09:55 pm »
@CT

Great job, Clint! Beautiful and heartfelt. I like the rhythm. There's so much that happens in a pause. You really understand that.

Beautiful guitar, too. What kind of wood is that? Looks like a tiger.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:49:43 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:38 pm »
The original is G D A G D C throughout, right?
What’s the chords you played on this version? might give it a go.
No, the only thing different from standard tuning is that the low E is tuned down to D. All else is the same.

Your homework assignment will be to suss out the chords I'm playing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:11:07 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2020, 03:01:02 pm »
@redrhodie
Haha! Thanks red! I appreciate your comment. A man's gotta breathe. :)

The guitar is made from quilted ash, it looks stunning to me and has a unique tone. The tone is not soft and mellow, it's a bit "crisp" sounding to my ears, but in a good and interesting way. Hammer-ons and pull-offs come to life. I'm working on a track right now where I try to utilize those embellishments.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:11:42 pm by close2u »

Offline Chazzo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2020, 03:53:56 pm »
@CT

This is great. Nice feeling, man
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:50:46 pm by close2u »

Offline Chazzo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2020, 03:57:34 pm »
@ sairfingers.
Nice job man, found myself humming along with you at the end there. Good stuff
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:45:19 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2020, 10:38:23 pm »
Thanks Chazzo.  You can’t beat a good hum!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:12:06 pm by close2u »
Justin’s BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2020, 01:19:35 am »
@Chazzo
Cool. Really appreciate the comment!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:12:18 pm by close2u »

Offline frito

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2020, 10:11:21 pm »
@DavidP

Hey David, I've been trying to find this post for a few days.  I didn't have time to reply the first time I saw it.  I think this is one the best I've seen of you yet.  I did notice before I read that you were playing without the music stand.  I think that helped make it so much tighter and free flowing.  Totally dig it.  👍
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:12:58 pm by close2u »
1983 Sigma DM12-5, 12 String Accoustic
2017 Gretsch Streamliner G2420/ABB Hollowbody
Orange Crush 20RT amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2020, 06:26:43 am »
@frito

Joe, appreciate you taking so much trouble to find this to post a comment, and the super encouraging comment. I think it demonstrates how much practice/rehearsal is needed on a song to bring it up to a decent performance level. I have played this over the years, many, many times, and it is still not without the odd wobble  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:13:13 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2020, 08:51:08 am »
Hi there,

After moving to YouTube to share my various recordings, I decided to ultimately close my SoundCloud account ... one such platform is more than enough for me. But there are some postings there that I would like to retain, which requires a migration to YT. One of those is my collaboration with Mari aka embishop back in Oct 2018 to produce a Guns 'n Roses styled cover of this classic.

I could've quietly moved it over to YT but decided that it was appropriate to post it up here in the Challenge for completeness sake and to share it with people who have joined since the original posting. I think Mari's guitar playing is well worth a listen, even though we have both improved since this was recorded.

It was also an opportunity to continue to get to know and learn Corel Video Studio and to make a few tweaks to the mix.

Hope you'll indulge the re-post, enjoy the production, and the usual goes when it comes to sharing your comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctvBH9xe84g

Richard, I confess I didn't scan through all the posts here, after you recently consolidated the various recordings of the song posted up on AVOYP, to see if you trawled far enough back to pick up this production. If you did pick up that version then please can you delete it since the file on SC is now deleted. My apologies for again making work for the over-worked mod ...

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2020, 09:31:06 am »
Hi David
Terrific performance and production there from yourself and Mari. I hadn’t listened to this post before. The problem with the format of this thread is it goes back to 2009 and is 17 pages long so some excellent performances are lost in the mists of time and are mixed in amongst the comments. Is there a way that the performances could be grouped together and separated from the comments? I suppose not as the comments have to relate to the individual performances.
Justin’s BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2020, 10:34:40 am »
Hi David
Terrific performance and production there from yourself and Mari. I hadn’t listened to this post before. The problem with the format of this thread is it goes back to 2009 and is 17 pages long so some excellent performances are lost in the mists of time and are mixed in amongst the comments. Is there a way that the performances could be grouped together and separated from the comments? I suppose not as the comments have to relate to the individual performances.

Thanks very much, Gordon, appreciate such a positive complimentary comment.

Maybe there is something Richard could do, don't know. I suppose what one needs is some kind of index that links one to a specific reply in the topic that contains a new recording. Thereafter one could scroll up and down. Or maybe there is a way to nest the postings: GC / KOHD / New topic per version with replies?

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2020, 05:05:02 pm »
Very nice playing, singing and mixing. This is the song that just keeps on giving. This is a really good version and collaboration.   

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2020, 05:22:02 pm »
Very nice playing, singing and mixing. This is the song that just keeps on giving. This is a really good version and collaboration.

Thanks very much, Clint, appreciate the complimentary feedback.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2020, 07:18:17 pm »
Richard, I confess I didn't scan through all the posts here, after you recently consolidated the various recordings of the song posted up on AVOYP, to see if you trawled far enough back to pick up this production. If you did pick up that version then please can you delete it since the file on SC is now deleted. My apologies for again making work for the over-worked mod ...
Done ...

... The problem with the format of this thread is it goes back to 2009 and is 17 pages long so some excellent performances are lost in the mists of time and are mixed in amongst the comments.

@Gordon
I have removed all the  dead wood now so you should find it easier to read.

Is there a way that the performances could be grouped together and separated from the comments? I suppose not as the comments have to relate to the individual performances.
No, all comments are arranged by date order.
I have edited all necessary posts so they all have the @user_name format so it is obvious who the reply is being made to.

If all replies were made using this feature (or selective quoting only when useful and necessary) it would be good. :)

Maybe there is something Richard could do, don't know.

Tidying?
What do you think now?

ps

I will delete these conversation bits soon too.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2020, 09:21:14 pm »
One of those is my collaboration with Mari aka embishop back in Oct 2018 to produce a Guns 'n Roses styled cover of this classic.

A fun project, it was great to collaborate with you, David. Nice to see the video mix, ace job on that.

And thanks Gordon and Clint for the listen and commenting 😃

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2020, 02:59:41 pm »
Done ...

@Gordon
I have removed all the  dead wood now so you should find it easier to read.
No, all comments are arranged by date order.
I have edited all necessary posts so they all have the @user_name format so it is obvious who the reply is being made to.

If all replies were made using this feature (or selective quoting only when useful and necessary) it would be good. :)

Tidying?
What do you think now?

Richard, firstly thanks for deleting the old posts.

I like the tidying up.

Still think the biggest challenge for somebody taking a look at this topic is finding the original posts that include people's recordings. Once you have found such a reply then usually the comments that follow are easy to link back to the relevant recording. No doubt, being thoughtful in quoting contributes to that.

But for this song, there are 10 pages of replies, no idea how many renditions. The first was posted back in Apr 2009.

Looking at the breadcrumbs for this reply ...

Justin Guitar Community »Audio-Video Area - Progress, Performance & Feedback »Guitar Challenges - Songs »Post reply ( Re: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)

The only suggestion I could make would be to make each Song on the Guitar Challenges - Songs board a board, essentially add another layer. Looking at the site index page, then each song would be a child board? And then once at that board each person's submission would then be a new Topic on the Board for sa specific song. And the replies would then be linked to that topic.

But I don't know how the hosting software works, maybe there is a limit to the number of layers; I'm as likely as not confused ...

So having received thanks, maybe this reply is another to be removed :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2020, 06:31:09 pm »
@sairfingers.

the Challenges section is categorically not a competition section.

From the sticky thread here

Welcome to the Guitar Challenges.

Each ‘challenge’ is basically an open invitation to anyone and everyone to play a song, an improvisation, a study-piece etc and post a recording – just for the fun of it.

So, whether you are a relative beginner learning the basic chords and strumming pattern of a song, a more experienced player adding a little fancy fretwork, if you want to do a little finger-picking, or you want to sing and play at the same time  ... you can join in with these challenges.

Important:
The challenge is to yourself.
These are not competition threads.
There are no prizes for making the ‘best’ recordings.
There is no shame for being at the beginner stages.
This is for FUN!

:)

If you want some constructive advice and feedback on your playing then that is cool. Just ask.

ps
Thanks to Deathgod for getting the ball rolling on this.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2020, 06:39:04 pm »
Perhaps the Guitar Challenge thread isn’t really required. If someone posts their version of Song X on AVoYP and someone else wants to post their version of the same song, then I suppose they are in a sense ‘competing’ and that becomes the ‘challenge’.
However I realise AVoYP is not meant to be a competition as that is not the ethos of that thread or indeed the ethos of the forum and could put members off posting.

So if everyone posts different songs there is no competition. Unless you choose to post the same song and then perhaps a ‘comparison’ is inevitable but still not a competition’.

Does that make sense? I haven’t really given an answer here have I. I’m thinking out loud.

I also have to add that when I posted Knockin’, I was in no way attempting to compete although I can see it could be construed as that. It was just a song I was comfortable with and when I heard Clint and David’s versions I thought “I can play that one” so I posted my version as my first AVoYP.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
    • YouTube
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2020, 07:26:25 pm »
Perhaps the Guitar Challenge thread isn’t really required. If someone posts their version of Song X on AVoYP and someone else wants to post their version of the same song, then I suppose they are in a sense ‘competing’ and that becomes the ‘challenge’.
However I realise AVoYP is not meant to be a competition as that is not the ethos of that thread or indeed the ethos of the forum and could put members off posting.

So if everyone posts different songs there is no competition. Unless you choose to post the same song and then perhaps a ‘comparison’ is inevitable but still not a competition’.

Does that make sense? I haven’t really given an answer here have I. I’m thinking out loud.

I also have to add that when I posted Knockin’, I was in no way attempting to compete although I can see it could be construed as that. It was just a song I was comfortable with and when I heard Clint and David’s versions I thought “I can play that one” so I posted my version as my first AVoYP.
I'm on the fence on this one. Everything I record challenges me in some way, so when Close2u asked me if it was OK to move my cover to this challenge thread, I said fine. It's just bookkeeping to me at this point. If you want your version to stand alone, I think it should be fine to break it out to its own thread. Maybe being locked down for months has mellowed me. :)     

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2020, 07:30:11 pm »
One of life's mysteries ...

How did the post by sairfingers come after mine?
My post was a direct reply to sairfingers post and was made after I had already read it.

How on earth does the time-fabric-continuum get torn like that?

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2020, 07:02:56 am »

How did the post by sairfingers come after mine?
My post was a direct reply to sairfingers post and was made after I had already read it.

Goodness gracious, that's beyond me to offer an explanation.

Gordon,

I love the fact that somebody watching me have a go at a song can serve as some inspiration and encouragement to give it a go.

I have had the same experience. I was aware of the potential for comparison in some minds, and would desperately hope that nobody would ever make direct comparisons in such a way that could be discouraging to people sharing. For us still in the early years, it takes a lot to share. I suppose using somebody else's post as a reference to highlight an area of improvement could be helpful.

I never saw the GCs as a contest (as per the brief shared by Richard). In fact I never thought about posting my renditions of KOHD in the GC area but have no issues with an area that groups all the postings of a particular song (to Clint's point). Though my comment to Richard about being able to find the reply with a new version of the song is perhaps an issue if I wanted to go back as a new comer.

I found most value in the GC area in the posting of jams over a backing track. I enjoyed listening to all the different interpretations, having a go myself, and getting the encouragement and feedback.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2020, 09:00:23 am »
My fault I think. I modified my post to sort some typo’s.

Offline danman83

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2020, 01:25:36 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/dan-birch-214031853/knocking-on-heavens-door-m4a?ref=clipboard.

Be as critical as you want plz lol
10 weeks of learning the guitar.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App