Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 28776 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Thanks, David. I have to say your knowledge and understanding of mixes is really impressive.  I learn something every time you post about it. This was just a one-track recording though, so not much I can do there. I see what you’re saying about the vocals. Maybe I need to sing louder or play softer, not sure.
My pleasure, Tosh.

I have learned a stack here ... https://www.recordingrevolution.com/ plus lots from the Community. There are so many people who have been kind enough to offer me feedback, provide suggestions, answer questions.  I don't want to call out specific names as there really are too many.

As you say, not much you can do with a single track recording in terms of the level balance between voice and guitar.  As you say, sing louder and play softer, which is easily said but harder to get right.

You can also us explore mic positioning.  But if you are using a mobile phone and doing video at the same time then that is also tricky ... balancing visual composition and trying to get the mic closer to your mouth.  This is why I don't make too many videos  ;D

You mentioned reverb.  Can you share more about what you did and how?

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44

You mentioned reverb.  Can you share more about what you did and how?

Yes, of course. My setup is:

Video: iPhone on a tripod. Just bought the mini gorilla tripod last week. Really helps get the angle right and makes it look much more professional.

Audio: I use a USB Condenser mic in my laptop and record directly into Audacity. The reverb I mentioned is an effect within Audacity. I also use Audacity to get rid of external noise (noise reduction effect), and also use the compressor effect. Those three are basically all I ever do.

Then it's just a matter of syncing the video with the Audio, which I do on iMovie. Pretty simple process that doesn't take much time and sounds so much better than using the iphone microphone.

BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
Yes, of course. My setup is:

Video: iPhone on a tripod. Just bought the mini gorilla tripod last week. Really helps get the angle right and makes it look much more professional.

Audio: I use a USB Condenser mic in my laptop and record directly into Audacity. The reverb I mentioned is an effect within Audacity. I also use Audacity to get rid of external noise (noise reduction effect), and also use the compressor effect. Those three are basically all I ever do.

Then it's just a matter of syncing the video with the Audio, which I do on iMovie. Pretty simple process that doesn't take much time and sounds so much better than using the iphone microphone.
Thanks Tosh.

Ok so you do have a separate mic, which means you could experiment with mic position to try and get a more balanced audio track.

And you are doing a good job of sync between audio and video.

Really enjoying your performances.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 142
Hi Tosh.  Wow, I thought you did a great job of it.  Like David, I would like to hear your voice a bit more on top.  (Think switch voice and guitar level).  But overall sounded good to me.

Offline Alli

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Needs improvement but loving having backing tracks.

Do people in open mic nights use backing tracks?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:38:42 am by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
Do people in open mic nights use backing tracks?

In general, no, but I think that's usually because arranging to have backing tracks in those sorts of situations is tricky and outside most people's comfort zone. You are highly reliant on the venue's equipment and sound guys and there's a lot to set up and a lot to potentially go wrong.

I have seen a couple of open mic sets where people brought along a looper or a laptop with backing and plugged into the desk but, in these cases, they were regulars and knew the set up and the people running it very well.

And these were less for full backing tracks in the traditional sense, and more for a bit of added accompaniment.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Alli

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
In general, no, but I think that's usually because arranging to have backing tracks in those sorts of situations is tricky and outside most people's comfort zone. You are highly reliant on the venue's equipment and sound guys and there's a lot to set up and a lot to potentially go wrong.

I have seen a couple of open mic sets where people brought along a looper or a laptop with backing and plugged into the desk but, in these cases, they were regulars and knew the set up and the people running it very well.

And these were less for full backing tracks in the traditional sense, and more for a bit of added accompaniment

Ah I see, shame, its good for practice and timing though.

I think I saw a girl in Lanzarotte last year have some sort of backing track feature but she was also dipping in and out of effects with pedals too.

Don't understand how she managed to do it. Looks complicated working with pedals!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Wow,
Much better video lighting here!  :)
Great vocals and voice on this one song.... Almost sounds like Bob D himself, to me... 8)

Keep practicing and you will not need the computer or phone crutch!

Much better job of projecting the vocals. On your last song I just commented on, I could not make out the vocals much.

You are making progress, so keep up the rockin good results!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
I am enjoying your singing, Ali, you have a good sounding voice and have a good feel for the phrasing.

From a guitar perspective, there were some moments on this one when you did only upstrums which I think "forced" your hand to keep moving and it sounded good to me.

At other times I think you were pausing a little after a down strum before moving back for the next down strum, to get the feel for the song. It is recommended, certainly when getting going, to keep the hand moving with the beat.  I think for this song you can try to keep the hand moving but in the first couple of bars of the verse miss the strings on every second down strum. Then in the chorus you add in more strums to give that build in energy.

Something I did when I started was to try and play along with Justin when watching a song lesson. It certainly helped me to get better with my timing, as you are working at now, and I found it easier than playing along with full backing tracks or original recordings ... I still struggle with getting into the groove playing along with originals when a full band is playing.

Good progress, keep it up.

Offline Alli

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
I am enjoying your singing, Ali, you have a good sounding voice and have a good feel for the phrasing.

From a guitar perspective, there were some moments on this one when you did only upstrums which I think "forced" your hand to keep moving and it sounded good to me.

At other times I think you were pausing a little after a down strum before moving back for the next down strum, to get the feel for the song. It is recommended, certainly when getting going, to keep the hand moving with the beat.  I think for this song you can try to keep the hand moving but in the first couple of bars of the verse miss the strings on every second down strum. Then in the chorus you add in more strums to give that build in energy.

Something I did when I started was to try and play along with Justin when watching a song lesson. It certainly helped me to get better with my timing, as you are working at now, and I found it easier than playing along with full backing tracks or original recordings ... I still struggle with getting into the groove playing along with originals when a full band is playing.

Good progress, keep it up.

Thanks David,

Yes I know what you mean.

I think when I managed to vary the guitar strumming yet keep my hand moving it added something to the texture. There were moments mid way where it sounded slightly better.

Sometimes I guess it takes a bit of time to get a feel for it and go off piste slightly.

Funnily enough although it's a bit like a bike stabiliser the backing tracks- I think they are helping to get into the grove.

Loving that I can do this now- even 6 months ago couldn't have managed that- work in progress though. Gotta keep practicing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App