Author Topic: Guitar Challenge I - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 16053 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 147
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Guitar Challenge I - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2018, 11:23:02 am »
Thanks, David. I have to say your knowledge and understanding of mixes is really impressive.  I learn something every time you post about it. This was just a one-track recording though, so not much I can do there. I see what you’re saying about the vocals. Maybe I need to sing louder or play softer, not sure.
My pleasure, Tosh.

I have learned a stack here ... https://www.recordingrevolution.com/ plus lots from the Community. There are so many people who have been kind enough to offer me feedback, provide suggestions, answer questions.  I don't want to call out specific names as there really are too many.

As you say, not much you can do with a single track recording in terms of the level balance between voice and guitar.  As you say, sing louder and play softer, which is easily said but harder to get right.

You can also us explore mic positioning.  But if you are using a mobile phone and doing video at the same time then that is also tricky ... balancing visual composition and trying to get the mic closer to your mouth.  This is why I don't make too many videos  ;D

You mentioned reverb.  Can you share more about what you did and how?

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2018, 05:52:27 pm »

You mentioned reverb.  Can you share more about what you did and how?

Yes, of course. My setup is:

Video: iPhone on a tripod. Just bought the mini gorilla tripod last week. Really helps get the angle right and makes it look much more professional.

Audio: I use a USB Condenser mic in my laptop and record directly into Audacity. The reverb I mentioned is an effect within Audacity. I also use Audacity to get rid of external noise (noise reduction effect), and also use the compressor effect. Those three are basically all I ever do.

Then it's just a matter of syncing the video with the Audio, which I do on iMovie. Pretty simple process that doesn't take much time and sounds so much better than using the iphone microphone.

BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 147
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2018, 09:05:35 pm »
Yes, of course. My setup is:

Video: iPhone on a tripod. Just bought the mini gorilla tripod last week. Really helps get the angle right and makes it look much more professional.

Audio: I use a USB Condenser mic in my laptop and record directly into Audacity. The reverb I mentioned is an effect within Audacity. I also use Audacity to get rid of external noise (noise reduction effect), and also use the compressor effect. Those three are basically all I ever do.

Then it's just a matter of syncing the video with the Audio, which I do on iMovie. Pretty simple process that doesn't take much time and sounds so much better than using the iphone microphone.
Thanks Tosh.

Ok so you do have a separate mic, which means you could experiment with mic position to try and get a more balanced audio track.

And you are doing a good job of sync between audio and video.

Really enjoying your performances.

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2018, 01:44:24 am »
Hi Tosh.  Wow, I thought you did a great job of it.  Like David, I would like to hear your voice a bit more on top.  (Think switch voice and guitar level).  But overall sounded good to me.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App