Author Topic: Guitar Challenge I - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 10491 times)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
Re: Guitar Challenge I - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »
This is my cover version. It is based on Dylan's version rather than Guns 'n' Roses. Feed back would be welcome, especially on my singing.

http://youtu.be/_l-UpE25rFI

Thanks for listening

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »
Far too heavy use of audio effects all round. Less is more.
Timing seems off at times, the drum track really highlights it.
Singing is hard to judge, the effects obscure much, the pitch seems acceptable but unlike any version I'm familiar with (end of line pitch in particular sounds flat, but done repeatedly it sounds more like a stylistic choice)

interesting take on it ;)
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »
Far too heavy use of audio effects all round. Less is more.
Timing seems off at times, the drum track really highlights it.
Singing is hard to judge, the effects obscure much, the pitch seems acceptable but unlike any version I'm familiar with (end of line pitch in particular sounds flat, but done repeatedly it sounds more like a stylistic choice)

interesting take on it ;)

Thanks Tourniquet. The effects will disappear when I'm happy with my signing. As you say they hide a multitude of sins. I don't know what happened with the timing, it turns the beat around when you don't expect it. It seemed to go with the mood of the song so I didn't try to sing it again. Compared with my other efforts at signing I'm glad I'm mostly in key and that the flat notes are consistent.

Have you any further advice on improving my pitch so I can sing something that's recognisable?

Thanks for listening.

Diadem

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2012, 10:15:17 am »
Hiding sins is fine for performance, but not for active critique or self improvement.

Pitch:
Just keep recording yourself singing (if you can setup a live microphone so you hear yourself realtime it's quicker)
Try different keys, if the song takes you too close to the edge of your range it can skew notes.
Don't fight it, it's common to try and correct pitch problems by force which tends to just make it harder. much improvement can be had just by learning how to relax.

General:
Find a song you know well, preferably something with various drawn out notes and sing it without backing. (Lying eyes by the eagles is the song that always works for me)
Listen carefully for any notes or vowels that seem to stand out more than the rest or maybe start to make your skull buzz.
focus on these notes and those around them, use them repeatedly and make minor alterations to the shape of your mouth, the tension in your throat, tilt of your head, straightness of your back..... any and every variable. keep those that positively contribute, discard those that don't (temporarily, a change that does nothing early on may make a huge different once it has more support)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2012, 07:56:33 am »
Hiding sins is fine for performance, but not for active critique or self improvement.

Pitch:
Just keep recording yourself singing (if you can setup a live microphone so you hear yourself realtime it's quicker)
Try different keys, if the song takes you too close to the edge of your range it can skew notes.
Don't fight it, it's common to try and correct pitch problems by force which tends to just make it harder. much improvement can be had just by learning how to relax.

General:
Find a song you know well, preferably something with various drawn out notes and sing it without backing. (Lying eyes by the eagles is the song that always works for me)
Listen carefully for any notes or vowels that seem to stand out more than the rest or maybe start to make your skull buzz.
focus on these notes and those around them, use them repeatedly and make minor alterations to the shape of your mouth, the tension in your throat, tilt of your head, straightness of your back..... any and every variable. keep those that positively contribute, discard those that don't (temporarily, a change that does nothing early on may make a huge different once it has more support)

Sounds like a lot of hard work. But nothing in life worthwhile is usually easy. When it works I'll post something with no effects (well maybe a couple). Could you please explain whether my skull should buzz and if so how do I get there?

Thanks again.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »
Could you please explain whether my skull should buzz and if so how do I get there?

Therein lies the difficulty with learning and teaching singing. Even face to face, explaining how to control a particular set of throat muscles just doesn't translate well. have a look at the primer in my signature, there are links to a few instructional sites that might interest you.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2012, 09:04:51 pm »
Could you please explain whether my skull should buzz and if so how do I get there?

Therein lies the difficulty with learning and teaching singing. Even face to face, explaining how to control a particular set of throat muscles just doesn't translate well. have a look at the primer in my signature, there are links to a few instructional sites that might interest you.

Thanks again, I'll have a look at the sites. I tried singing something straight, no music, just a metronome beat, turned out wierd. It was vaguely recognisable, but.... I'll have another go tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice. If I get a buzz in my skull I'll let you know.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:32 am »
bump

come on folks  - climb aboard!

Offline Gi11es

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »
Hello,

This is my recording of me strumming over a backing track and trying to play with the chords as explained in Justin's video.

http://youtu.be/Dr0a2CMoE3w

Gilles

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »
Good effort Gi11es, sounds like you've got the chord changes coming along nice & clean ... well done for leaping in ...  8)
This is a late reply - you'll be even better by now I would think - can you sing & plat together on this yet?

Offline Coda

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »
And one more version, folks; following close2u's suggestion I'm re-posting "Knockin'..." recorded via LINE 6 GX hardware, POD Farm 2.5 and Audacity software.

The guitar is a Gibson SG, three tracks were merged for the final result.

https://soundcloud.com/coda1953/knocking-ohd

Offline Bissrok

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2017, 10:11:19 pm »
I'm practicing my E shape major scale. Some of it came out a bit wonky...

https://soundcloud.com/bissrok/knockin-on-heavens-door

Get The Forum As A Mobile App