Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 52674 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
@CT

Clint if this could be bottled, you'd make a fortune. Your vocal tones go straight to the core and weaving in and around are guitar voices that dance a duo. Your sense of rhythm, timing and dynamics ramps this up to another level. Then there's the video imagery that blends seamlessly. For me, there's an awareness of your vulnerability and human-ness and that speaks to the same in me, creating connection.

I love this performance and I love you for it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:47:18 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@batwoman
Very moving comment, BW, and I love YOU for it!

If I bottled this I’m sure it would be an acquired taste. It still feels raw and experimental to me. A few half-baked ideas floating around. Was just given a four day weekend in the midst of a high pressure project, so the juices were flowing a bit. Had a blast working this out as it sits, and learned a few things in the process. My voice almost got there in a few places (LOL). If nothing else, hopefully it’s a unique re-imagining of the song.

Thanks again, your comment made my day!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:03:35 pm by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
@CT

Yeah well I'm putting in an order for a few dozen bottles. Please keep exploring raw and experimental Clint, I think it's a thaing for you and it seems to be opening a door to creativity with guitar and vocals. Re-imagining is a great way to describe your process.  I wonder if there's an original somewhere there in the future? 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:03:53 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@batwoman
Thanks again! Really sweet and much appreciated. Yes, I have originals. I haven't figured out how best to release them into the world at large. Family and friends have heard them all. 

EDIT: You guys are a total gas. So very kind. BW, you are a gem. When the discussion veers toward what I am wearing and the ending of the track, I can read the Buick sized tea leaves. (LOL) As always, I truly appreciate anyone that takes the time to listen and comment.     
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:04:07 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
@CT

Fabulous, Clint.

You keep trotting out your lines about being raw and half-baked. Who am I to pass comment on your experience of your music. If it works for you, but for me ...

For me, this was smooth, fluent, engaging, sensitive. When you have fulfilled Maggie's order for a dozen bottles of Brown Couch Juice, I'll take a case myself.

Also have to shout out the use of the triads and the interesting third chord ... what was that chord? ... the chorus lyric tweaks, a new verse.

PS Only in the USA can we be so confused as to which city a sport's team calls home ;) Though I am no expert on American Rugby ... uh ... Football  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:47:30 pm by close2u »
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@DavidP
Ding, ding, ding! Thank you DP. Thank you for caring enough to ask what the heck I was trying to do musically, whether or not I was actually able to pull it off is beside the point. I'm your boy, DP!

God bless if my vocals hit home -- they weren't really the point. That said, thanks for noticing some twists to the lyrics, this is some inside baseball, if the changes aren't noticed it means someone didn't listen or doesn't really know the song. This was not a trick, just a twist that a fan of the song would notice.

This is a guitar site. I wanted a big, rich, full & brassy D maj sound. So I went with a key of D progression using a drop D tuning on the low E string. This allowed me to do some big and brassy open chords -- even triads on the high strings opened up -- especially with brand new D'addarios.

Cool, now play a G maj chord. Um, OK. The low G is now at the 5th fret and the high G is still at the 3rd fret. No worries, it's just a G7 shape slid up the neck. Hold the phone, when I turn around to the D chord just about any finger I lay down on any string is a decent embellishment. Huge, huge fun! This just opened up a bunch of interesting little twiddly bits.

Thanks again for asking and feel free to give this a try sometime.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:04:27 pm by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
...  if the changes aren't noticed it means someone  doesn't really know the song. 

I'm one of these Clint. The other thing that happens for me is that I get so absorbed listening to the sounds I don't really listen to the lyrics.

I wanted a big, rich, full & brassy D maj sound. So I went with a key of D progression using a drop D tuning on the low E string. This allowed me to do some big and brassy open chords -- even triads on the high strings opened up -- especially with brand new D'addarios.

Cool, now play a G maj chord. Um, OK. The low G is now at the 5th fret and the high G is still at the 3rd fret. No worries, it's just a G7 shape slid up the neck. Hold the phone, when I turn around to the D chord just about any finger I lay down on any string is a decent embellishment. Huge, huge fun! This just opened up a bunch of interesting little twiddly bits.

This is so cool Clint, thanks for the detail. Makes my head spin a bit but in a good way.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
No worries BW, my comment wasn't meant as a knock in any way toward anyone. I really appreciate your kindness immensely. You're truly a cut above.   

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 141
Nice job Clint and great to listen to first thing in the morning.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
My Band: https://www.facebook.com/retrospectivemusicuk/
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0A

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
@CT

Ah-ha, the drop D explains the chord shape that didn't immediately look familiar to me, Clint.

Now you mention it I also noticed some lower notes in the intro that sounded cool, but just enjoyed without thinking about what you were doing.

This all makes sense and maybe in due course I will get there and embellish my own strum & sing performances with such use of voicings and tunings.  Really did give the song something extra.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:47:49 pm by close2u »
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
Nice job Clint and great to listen to first thing in the morning.
Thanks Rossco01! Appreciate the listen and the comment.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
Ah-ha, the drop D explains the chord shape that didn't immediately look familiar to me, Clint.

Now you mention it I also noticed some lower notes in the intro that sounded cool, but just enjoyed without thinking about what you were doing.
So cool that you noticed something a little different happening. Drop D is such a common and easy tweak, surprising that I didn't muck with it sooner. Hope you and others get around to it. Huge fun!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:05:05 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
LOL I have to work hard to keep my basic open cowboy plus E and A barre shapes all neat and tidy, plus steady strumming pattern, plus singing ... feel like I have many miles ahead of me before I start getting fancy with other tunings and triads. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:05:13 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@DavidP
We all chart our own course. You're doing great, you constantly inspire me. You have no reason to head in different directions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:05:27 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
We all chart our own course. You're doing great, you constantly inspire me. You have no reason to head in different directions.

8) Good vibes, Clint, appreciate your encouragement, always supportive with a nudge to keep exploring.

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
@CT

Yes! Another Brown Couch Session  ;D Well done Clint, really enjoyed it :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:48:03 pm by close2u »
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
8) Good vibes, Clint, appreciate your encouragement, always supportive with a nudge to keep exploring.
You 'da man! Just know that there are many windows in our music room, and we have full control over how much light and fresh air we let in. :)

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
@CT

I noticed you backed up to allow us to see your fingers on the fretboard. Very helpful, to me at least. I’ll have to go back and re-read your explanation to David on the Dropped D chord. Went above my intellect level.   Interesting comments about the lyrics tweaks. I didn’t notice it either. Yeah, I can see that you would have to know the lyrics to realize the changes. Another good one, CT!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:48:13 pm by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
@CT

Nice one Clint - saw this on YT first but thought I'd make my comment here before there.

I don't quite get the sporting references but (pun intended) I am an old hat at drop D having learned a ton of Neil Young and similar over the years. So I recognised those triad shapes for D, A and G immediately, and the stretched out G chord. If this is your first foray down that path then oh boy, you have so much fun ahead of you.
Speaking of Neil Young and drop D ... everyone should try to learn this, it is delicious.
https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/neil-young-harvest-moon-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-st-903
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:48:21 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
Yes! Another Brown Couch Session  ;D Well done Clint, really enjoyed it :)
Thanks Max! I appreciate the listen and nice comment.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@pkboo3
Haha! Thanks PK! Yeah, I backed up too far from the iPhone on this one. The chords really rang out with tons of sustain, but the mic was just too far away to really capture it completely. It looks like I was having a stroke or something at the end, but the guitar was still very resonate until the absolute end (you'll have to trust me on that). Just a huge sound -- out of the realm of normal cowboy chord tone.

At the end of the day I'm just a big dopey kid that serendipitously discovered the joys of drop D tuning, changed the key of the song from how it is normally played, dropped a minor chord from the progression, altered a few lyrics, and launched the first video with my quilted ash guitar.

Nothing to see here, move along now. Keep it moving. LOL
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:06:00 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@close2u
Thanks for the great comment and share! Really cool. That's what I loved about that song all along? Delicious is the right word. Lots of exploring to do.

Does anyone here like the sound of their own guitar? If so, drop your dang low E to D and strum all six strings while holding down a cowboy D major chord. I was a drop D beginner a few days ago. You can thank me later. If that doesn't inspire you to play something -- then you really don't like the sound of your own guitar and you shouldn't have read down this far! I kid, I kid. LOL

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:06:19 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
Nothing to see here, move along now. Keep it moving. LOL
Clint, you are too funny. I love your talent and your ability and desire to share it, your no nonsense advice to questions about commitment to guitar, but your support to those who are really trying to come to grips with this instrument. It must be something to do with the sunshine and peach juice in Southern California. 😃
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
@sairfingers
Thank you! I really appreciate your comment. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:06:34 pm by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
Does anyone here like the sound of their own guitar? If so, drop your dang low E to D and strum all six strings while holding down a cowboy D major chord.

Oh yeah Clint I'm a convert. Was introduced to dropped D 3 weeks ago. I've tuned my other guitar to dropped D and I've been mucking around with chord shapes, triads and some baby riffs. It's fun. Sometimes I change the tuning of one of the steel strings and that's fun too. So many sounds to discover.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:07:03 pm by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App