Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)  (Read 52681 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
Re: Guitar Challenge 0001 - Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan / GnR etc)
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2020, 01:17:51 am »
@close2u
Like Clint, you are so coolio Richard. Thanks for the link. What a great lesson, the sound is so nice, think I have to give it a go, probly above my level. 

Vibes to both of you legends.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:07:20 pm by close2u »

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2020, 04:32:49 am »
Nice one CT! Can never doubt your guitar playing ever but lately I'm growing to love your mellow vocal style. Add a harp to it and you're the complete package! :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2020, 05:42:04 am »
Nice one CT! Can never doubt your guitar playing ever but lately I'm growing to love your mellow vocal style. Add a harp to it and you're the complete package! :)
Thanks, Bala! Glad you liked it. Appreciate the cool comment.

Haha! I respectfully decline being any kind of a package. There are a couple of harmonica bits in the Pan-damn-demic porch jam series on my YT channel, feel free to check them out. This track has drop D tuning, a bunch of changes to a classic song, and the video debut of my quilted ash acoustic. That's gonna have to be enough. LOL 

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:40 am »
Clint, you are too funny. I love your talent and your ability and desire to share it, your no nonsense advice to questions about commitment to guitar, but your support to those who are really trying to come to grips with this instrument. It must be something to do with the sunshine and peach juice in Southern California. 😃

I agree totally, Gordon ... superb summation there.

And of course, the canyons of California is where Shakey made his home, who seems synonomous with drop D (based on comments here) in the same way Keef is with open G.

Oh yeah Clint I'm a convert. Was introduced to dropped D 3 weeks ago. I've tuned my other guitar to dropped D and I've been mucking around with chord shapes, triads and some baby riffs. It's fun. Sometimes I change the tuning of one of the steel strings and that's fun too. So many sounds to discover.

Yeah, there comes a time (reference intended) when one is glad that attempts to sell one guitar when you acquire a new one ... the Crafter before Cedar in your case, Maggie ... came to nought. In your case the opportunity to have a second instrument to explore alternative tunings (even if tuning one string down and up is not as big a deal as tuning to say DADGAD), in mine that first guitar is now Nashville strung and ready to be picked up to add a different sound to a multitrack or when my wife and I play together.

Good on you for a posting that has birthed such a fun conversation, Clint.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline crocodile1

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »
@CT

Сlint, it's very good version, nice vocals.
Especially like guitar sound.
Leo
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:48:47 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2020, 06:01:51 pm »
And of course, the canyons of California is where Shakey made his home, who seems synonomous with drop D (based on comments here) in the same way Keef is with open G.
This really is an endless journey! You start to get a handle on things only to be told you can change the tuning and relearn all the chords. 😂
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2020, 08:33:13 pm »
<snip>
in mine that first guitar is now Nashville strung and ready to be picked up to add a different sound to a multitrack or when my wife and I play together.

Good on you for a posting that has birthed such a fun conversation, Clint.
Interestingly enough, this quilted ash guitar was purchased to be an exclusive Nashville strung guitar, but I found myself using it to record maybe three tracks, and used it on one live gig. I was starting to hear a buzz on high E first fret as well -- was hoping a string change would fix that. To make a short story longer, I strung it up with new D'Addarios, no more buzz and I really dug the tone. It's enough of a unique tone with regular 12's to be a good guitar for comping as is. So it is now in the normal acoustic rotation (whatever the heck that is).

Well, good on you for noticing something different happening in the video and inquiring about it.  Haha!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:59 pm »
@crocodile1
Thanks, Leo! I appreciate the nice feedback. The sound of this guitar is growing on me, there may be another brown couch session coming soon. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:08:40 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2020, 02:20:32 pm »
Well, it seems like ‘Knockin’ is the current favourite at the moment on AVOYP. Here’s my attempt. I decided to do it in one take and that was what I would post. I know if I’d gone for the “I’ll just do it again” approach I’d never have posted anything!  I’ve played it better and I’ve played it worse!

This is literally the first time I’ve recorded myself playing anything.
I’m happy to play with friends at singalongs but to be able to replay something and see the flaws is scary.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:28:21 pm by sairfingers »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2020, 02:29:38 pm »
@ sairfingers.
Good for you Gordon.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:43:58 pm by close2u »
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:52 pm »
@CT

Well then,
There is 2 things going around... The dreaded virus and Knockin! Nice rendition. Liked your intro and chord choices there. Also like how you owned this one with the flavor or spin you put on the vocals. So we have nice play and nice vocals along with a good production. Good stuff all around that rocks!

Be well and stay well,
LB
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:49:00 pm by close2u »
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2020, 11:22:11 pm »
@ sairfingers.
I did not find this scary at all... I did not notice any warts to speak off. You did it justice and I enjoyed the listen for sure. Good recording for your first. Maybe the vocals could come up a tad. But all in all a very nice first time out with a recorded performance! Bring on some more!

Rock on as it comes across well!
LB
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:44:07 pm by close2u »
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2020, 11:58:48 pm »
Well then,
There is 2 things going around... The dreaded virus and Knockin!
Haha! I think the door has been completely knocked down by now. Yeah, so thoroughly covered, but not as much as Wonderwall, Zombie, or Mad World (I'm sure), and I'm not convinced that my cover moved the needle all that much. Be that as it may, it is what it is, and some day we may find that it was never a door to begin with. Maybe it's one of those hippie bead curtains from the 60's. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:09:28 pm by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:43 am »
@ sairfingers.

Your version answers the age old question, how do you enter into heaven? You have to knock on the door, man! That's the classic text book version right there, well done sir!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:42:57 pm by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2020, 06:23:07 am »
@ sairfingers.
Is this your first AVOYP post Gordon? If so, what a great splash you've made. A really solid performance. It seems there's a growing number of guitarists knockin', perhaps you'll be invited in for a jam?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:44:17 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2020, 06:59:10 am »
@ sairfingers.
Ah, delightful, came back here this morning and the video embedding is all sorted.

Bravo, three cheers, and take a bow, Gordon.

I know what a big deal the first sharing is, and you've made it with a fine performance of the classic. Fluent playing and singing, and the extra twist of the humming and whoa's.

Assume the recording made on the phone, so not much that can be done on the vocal/guitar balance.  You have a good voice, natural phrasing, so would be better to hear you coming through a little louder; still loud enough to enjoy it.

Lovely to put a face and voice to the name.  Look forward to many more as you go.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:44:26 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2020, 08:49:04 am »
Be that as it may, it is what it is, and some day we may find that it was never a door to begin with. Maybe it's one of those hippie bead curtains from the 60's.
The fact that there’s a stairway to heaven and a highway to hell says a lot about the anticipated footfall!

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2020, 09:49:18 am »
@ sairfingers.
Rookie mistake, Gordon  :P
Never set the bar high on the first attempt.
Not only will everyone else have great expectations now, but you might put yourself off, trying to improve on that
Seriously- well done.
Nice steady, relaxed strumming with pattern variation.
I enjoyed the chord embellishments, which I tend to neglect.
Hey, you can sing! and you know the chords and lyrics well enough to be able to throw in 'performance' on top: head-shaking to the groove, fab phrasing, the odd harmonic variation from the standard,  mmm's & whoas... it's all there.
A couple of comments re voice/guitar balance. I didn't notice it on the first listen, but see what they mean on the second go. I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all (yet). If it's a phone recording, I think it's better quality than most I've seen here.
Is that your Martin? I presume it has a bigger sound than my classical, which will contribute to the quieter vocals.
Now that you've crossed the Rubicon, remember how easy it is to just point the camera and press the red button.
It's a good job we're all our own fiercest critics- you'll be getting a swollen head if you pay too much attention to encouraging forum folk   ;)
Encore! and good vibes for an impressive debut

(ps classy colour on the walls- Farrow & Ball?)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:44:39 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2020, 03:11:29 pm »
@ sairfingers.

Thanks to everyone for the supportive comments, they are all much appreciated. Now that I’ve lost my AVOYP virginity I feel a lot more relaxed about the whole recording thing. I have a long way to go and am grateful to you all for being kind and not highlighting the flaws on my first outing, although I realise that it’s by people pointing things out that one can then try to remedy them. Don’t worry, I can see the flaws myself, fingers not close enough to frets for example and am already working on that!

LB. This was recorded on my phone so I’m stuck with the levels. I’ll have to sing louder/play quieter or vice versa depending on the song. It’s not normally an issue when I play/sing with friends who’ve had a beer or 5!

Clint. You’re right, I went for the classic version in the hope it would give me half a chance of it sounding ok. Maybe something more adventurous next time. See, I’m already saying next time!

BW. Yes it’s my first AVOYP. I’m a late starter at guitar so my fear is I’ll be knockin’ before I’m good enough to be asked to jam! Perhaps a celestial harp would be easier to learn?

David. Got the link sorted in the end! Glad to be able to put a face to the name although I can’t understand how it got be that old! The humming bit was planned but the ‘whoas’ came out of the blue 😂.

Brian. Not so sure about the high bar but thanks for that. Yes that was my Martin. It tends to be loud even when strummed softly. Now that the die is cast we’ll see what comes next.
ps. F&B mouse’s back.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:44:50 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2020, 03:45:13 pm »
This was recorded on my phone so I’m stuck with the levels. I’ll have to sing louder/play quieter or vice versa depending on the song. It’s not normally an issue when I play/sing with friends who’ve had a beer or 5!

And maybe if you've had a pint or two, a wee dram or three, maybe you naturally sing louder as well  :o

More seriously, Gordon, not sure how long you've been hanging out here so maybe never followed some of the conversations and recordings made by Hilts. He wanted to work on that issue of vocal/guitar balance while keep it as simple as possible i.e. a video recorded with a phone. His upgrade was to acquire an external mic that plugs into the phone and clips onto his shirt. I recall it making a positive difference for him.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2020, 03:55:05 pm »
@ sairfingers.
Awesome first-time-on-the-AVOYP performance!  You are a natural. You looked confident; great playing; great vocals. Your guitar sounded really nice. Can’t wait to see your next one!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:45:05 pm by close2u »

Offline Alli

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2020, 07:17:51 pm »
@CT

Probably been said before Clint but much prefer the lyrics of this than original one im used to. I really like the verses in the whole, more than the chorus of knocking on heavens door, and this is got a lot more.

Really interesting with the drop D tuning and different chords.

Like the vocals.

Cool dude! :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:49:23 pm by close2u »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2020, 10:12:12 pm »
Thanks for the supportive comments pkb, you’re too kind. I‘ve been wanting to do this for a while and feel the pressure is off now that I’ve made my first post on AVOYP. More will certainly follow now that I’ve got a bit more confidence.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
    • YouTube
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2020, 10:57:34 pm »
Thanks Alli for giving a listen and for the cool comment. Not a thing in the world wrong with the original classic version of the song.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:10:33 pm by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2020, 01:24:02 am »
BW. Yes it’s my first AVOYP. I’m a late starter at guitar so my fear is I’ll be knockin’ before I’m good enough to be asked to jam! Perhaps a celestial harp would be easier to learn?

Oh yeah Gordon I hear you! Adds to the zest and enjoyment knowing I'm in god's waiting room. I'm 71 began at 69. Incidentally you look exactly as I pictured you. So glad you've made a start and what a grand start it is.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App